Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Hey buddy, nice to see you posting.
    One crit though.. You have such a great sense for color and composition but you are forcing your paintings to look loose and "brushy".. I think if you would really put some more hours into finishing, you would have hordes of people drooling over your stuff.
    I really hope this is not offensive in any way, I am big fan of your stuff, btw.
    Khan

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    thanks chupa, i've been trying to loose the brushy feeling recently but it keeps rearing its head when i deal with movement in pieces. I'l try to get things cleaner i think its as you said by putting the hours in for each piece.
    cheers for looking
    -alti

Thanks
    that last one is killer, love ur dynamic compositions and brushstrokes.

Thanks
    Man, you got some awesome shit here! Love the warhammer stuff! Fuck I love that universe!

The fire breathing bugdroid on the previous page is cool as fuck. However, I would remove the second one. The composition was stronger with just one in there.

Rock on dude!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Thanks
    newborn entry

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Cool stuff in here, and your story is very inspirational

Thanks
    Doing some borg concepts, landscapes and ship design of my favourite startrek race.

environment is typical of borg non centralised structural engineering.
    more to come
    -alti

Thanks
    great new stuff man !!!!!!! really love the top 2 on this page !

Thanks
    Hi there, enjoyed stopping by your sketchbook, the colours are great, cannot wait for more.

Thanks
    Wow, there's a lot of great stuff here dude.
    I love the pieces from posts 141 and 136, it's really amazing art.
    The last thumbs and enviro are really interesting, i think i will try something in this way.
    Good luck with your newborn entry.
    5 stars!

Cheers,

Thanks
    Hi man.

I came to check out your sketch book after hearing that you have that digi painting demo at elysium, but to be honest i was a a fair bit underwhelmed coming in here.
    Your work is decent but it isn't the level i would expect from a guy with as much experience as you.
    In most posts I'm seeing rushed work, careless colours and weird compositions. But the thing that suprises me the most is the lack of consistent quality. Some stuff is pretty cool; whilst others are very rushed, and have random colours.
    Another thing that has me baffled is the lack of solidarity in details, which i thought was one of the most important things for a concept artist to acheive as people have to make your concepts.

Anyway instead of pointing out shortcomings ill try and be constructive starting with the last peice.
    Name:  altipaintover.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  214.3 KB

First thing that i want to talk about is readability, your image has so many details that are all fighting for attention, the viewer have no idea what the hell to look at and it makes a convoluted image. I solved this by dropping back all the irrelevant details with value. You have also haven't got a change in value to suggest distance.
    Another glaring problem is the persepective! Both the steps in the forground and some of the pipes to the left are completly off! This is just rushing it man, slow down and make sure you get this right. I know this image was pasted together from photos but that really is no excuse as photos are just a method to get to the same end. Colour wise you have used a monochromatic colour scheme, which is very boring, i tried to make it more atmospheric by adding in blue shadows, to contrast the sickly green light. Ideally it would be using a proper colour pallette though, not just a generic 2 hue colour scheme like this. It works well but there is so much more that can be done!

And here comes my final point and its a biggun. None of your drawings have any material changes!!! There are no speculars anywhere. Check out your necron last page, it is all flat grey metal, there is no shininess there whatsoever. Your newborn bug, its all a flat claylike material, while the ground looks like it could be a form of cake.

I think that you are in desperate need of doing some solid still life images, and polish them up as best as possible.

I hope i didnt come off as too rude, but with the amount of butt kissing in here i think it had to be said.

Last edited by Muz; August 9th, 2009 at 06:24 AM.

Thanks
    cheers muz, good crits, really appreciate the rework of that image, your right on the money with alot your points.
    this sketchbook is a whole heap of experimentations i try to do inbetween paying work.
    "Another thing that has me baffled is the lack of solidarity in details, which i thought was one of the most important things for a concept artist to acheive as people have to make your concepts."
    nobodys making anything from these dude its just some letting loose after work.

heres another one.

Thanks
    Glad you took the crits well. Now i read my post again i was a bit of a dick in the way i said it, so apologies for that, im always promoting artists trying to help each other so me acting like that is stupid :/.
    Nice work on the last one, the edges are alot crisper and more readable than most of your work!

I still would love to see some colour studies using a full pallette though .

Page 13 of 35 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1