Just Starting..Need Advice/Critique

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just Starting..Need Advice/Critique

Well im making my own video game and theirs alot of character & building drawing involved I've been drawing for about 3 years..but not seriously just boredom sketche's every now and then..and while drawing my character's I noticed that my drawing style really hasn't changed the lines are Smoother and I dont erase as much but..I always draw the same pose for every character..So I dedcided I want to get better at Drawing but not just anime character's a little of everything..

Here are some of the characters I was drawing when I was thinking of this..

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Desh; August 8th, 2007 at 02:37 AM. Reason: images wont show
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they are looking good. random and interesting details on characters give them life and well, character.

I would recommend working on other angles, not just front. And do not ignore hands and feet, which they will bug you later on. your drawings remind me of one of my really close friends.

also, is there some sort of blur+multiply thing going on because its hurting my eyes

Blog

"Think about shape and form and all those happy little things that are going in there." - Bob Ross

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need more anatomy practice....trust me on this.

I can tell by how you're holding the pencil...you're focused on the style rather than the form the style is built around. Open up a sketchbook and practice everyday. This will both improve your visual vocabulary and loosen up your lines.

also..photoshop lessons, particularly on levels, will help image quality as well.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see Cloud from FF7 in there. The guy to the left I've also seen in some game, don't remember which. Copying is good practice, put if you want to do your own game you'll have to work harder to come up with some original designs. Not just take a popular character and change his shoulder-protection from non-spikey to spikey. Especially when the non-spikiness of it was what made it original to begin with... :p

Get creative, get crazy! Throw out mad ideas all over the place, improvise, make a pear instead of his head, make a witch riding a huge lighter, put absurd things together and/or take "normal" things and give them a twist... Plus, you need some anatomy work... If you just keep going you'll get there eventually.

Good luck!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ok

OK so I should start sketching everyday and work on my anatomy..I'll try to work on hands and feet some more..
    Actually I added a Gaussian Blur and Multiplied it in photoshop.. that's why the quality is kinda bad..
    @Whyatt Thrash: All these character are original..If you think it resembles another character then ill have to change him around but I dont really see any..
    Thanks for the advice I'll try to improve on what you pointed out..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really don't see the similarities between this guy and yours in the middle? Basically the same hair, the same shoulder protection although you put it on his right arm and gave it spikes point spikes, even the same turtleneck tank top...

Even if you claim it's your original, you can plainly see it's already been done.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see your point I really haven't seen an old picture of Cloud in a long time only the new ver. of him which is in Kingdom Hearts..I'll have to change him..But you mentioned the one on the left where you talking about the first one;That is My main character and I really dont want him to look like anyone else??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno where I've seen it, but I'm sure I have. And since you managed to copy Cloud without being aware of it, I'm sure you have too.

Just try doing something original that you're sure you haven't seen before. Like I said, go crazy!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Ill try..im Gonna do Seedling's Concept Art 101 but I will definatley remake the character's I really dont want any Similarities..&& I'll work on the anatomy..Thanks for The Help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh..pleeeease. what in anime HASN'T been done?

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw in your HANDS... if you leave them out then you'll never get the practice.

Also... try doing some 3 quarter views.. you might bet more costume detail that way. your current drawing shave the standard "paper doll" look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by llothcat View Post
    oh..pleeeease. what in anime HASN'T been done?

Well, that's easy! Emmmmm.... Well, eeeem. HMmmmmmmmm...

I'll get back to you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am not a big fan of anime but that is beside the point here.

firstly if you are designing a video game unless it is side scrolling you need to do a front side 3/4 and back view of each character, you need to add the hands as well

take a look at this link.
    http://www.anime-model-sheets.com/
    for reference.

I argee that you need to work on anatomy as well. You also need something that sets the characters apart from all the other anime out there.

As it is a video game you need to design the characters with the game in mind, even if you are programming and animating the game yourself.

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ill Keep that in Mind..The hands are hard to draw && I draw to small to try to draw them ..That's something im working on

Thank's for the link to..they have a lot of View's for the anime character's their..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I know your making a game, but im not sure the roll your trying to take in this career/hobby. Game creation is very compartmentalized. (and we spell bad too)

If your a game...

'designer-producer-director' then you should not be making art content.

'programer-scriptor' you very very unlikely to be making any art content, and surely not character art.

'Modeler-animator-rigger' you are likely to be making the concept art as well as building, animating the asset.

Or, If your wanting to be a concept artist, or illustrator, you'll obviously be expected to do just that.

If your thinking "Im going to do a little of all of those" then do yourself a favor now and throw this project in the round file cabinet. Because its never being made. If you are serious about wanting to be involved in the art side of things, you should say farewell to anime and go begin your journey in life drawing classes. If you want to be more involved with directing-programing, then you should search for artists to work with you and take your direction, and save yourself the headache of needing to make art content, your gona have enough to deal with as-is.

good luck either way.

and yea, every 'anime everything' has already been done. there is NOTHING that isnt a copy of a copy of a copy. so dont worry about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Just like art is a hobby making my game is another hobby..I know im not bad at Drawing and I want to get better..but when I posted these on DeviantArt no one would Critique them..they would just say "It Look so kool"..Or "Whats with the scarf"..I started off Drawing and wanting to make my game 3 years ago..Im not worried much about making my game..Im just trying to get better at my Drawing because that was my first and still is my Favorite hobby..

Yeah I kinda noticed most of everything has been done by anime..and I have a long way to go before I can Draw directly from my imagination..So it will resemble what I've seen..and I've seen alot of anime's

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.