Thread: Stroking Stress

Thanks

Stroking Stress

Does anyone know how to fix these phenomena that occur with a Wacom tablet?

Stroking Stress

Notice that the fast stroke looks like it's plotted from point to point. It appears as though the wacom checks the position of the stylus at a certain rate, and if you are making your stroke faster than that rate, it produces this effect.

Also, the slow stroke on the left, as you surely have noticed, is shaky. The problem may be just my own shakey hand, but I don't think that my strokes are this shakey when I'm sketching in my pad. Maybe it's because there is more friction on the tip of a pencil then with a stylus on a smooth tablet...I dunno.

Has anyone else experienced these problems? Is there a solution or a workaround? I love my Wacom, but I sure wish I could draw using quicker strokes without worrying about that "plotted" look. And I could also use a smoother slow stroke, if anyone has suggestions. Maybe I just need to work on making my hand steadier.

If you more experienced Wacom users out there have some unique methods and approaches to digital drawing, I would appreciate any suggestions that you can offer.

Thanks in advance...
    "I think a mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend..."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    if its ps, make sure the brush smoothing is enabled. otherwise, id find a happy medium.

oh and, i heard that if its too close to the monitor, the lines get get shakey. dont know if thats true or not.
    Don't just practice. Also Practice the right things, the right way.

Thanks
    It's not the tablet. It's a setting in PS.
    You have to adjust the spacing in the brush. Go to brushes and adjust it there. 15 -25 is a good smooth range for me.

Thanks
    I knew about the brush spacing, and have tweaked that until my tweaker died...and it didn't help at all...but thanks for the help, otis...

but MAN!!! That smoothing option is the solution. Thank you SO MUCH, Pencil Soldier...my problems are solved.

If anyone else is experiencing this problem, it will go away COMPLETELY if you'll go under your brush settings and make sure "smoothing" is checked. It doesn't seem to be checked by default (don't know why), but it should be.

Thanks again. :chug:
    "I think a mistake a lot of us make is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend..."

Thanks
    Where is Brush Smoothing located? I'm in PS6 and I don't see it.
    - blind

Thanks
    I'm working in PS 7. I have a copy of six on a machine here at work...but I'm not seeing the smoothing option anywhere. It may be new to 7.

Does anyone know if this option is available in 6, and where it's located? And for that matter, is there anything similar in Painter 7 or 8?

Thanks
    Originally posted by symantix
    I'm working in PS 7. I have a copy of six on a machine here at work...but I'm not seeing the smoothing option anywhere. It may be new to 7.
    Yeah, it looks to be a new feature of 7. Time to upgrade! >8)
    - blind

Thanks
    Hey, man...this little function all by itself seems reason enough to upgrade to me. Its absence is probably one of the big reasons why even many of the most seasoned professionals draw on paper, scan, and only do colors and enhancement in PS.

Hope you get the upgrade soon. :chug:

Thanks
    Hope you get the upgrade soon. :chug:
    I just spoke with an Adobe rep... they said it's ok for me to buy the upgrade to 7 so long as I can find my serial for my original copy of 5.5, so that's what I'm going to do. I lost the disk years ago, and I've been using PS6 on my work computer, but I can't upgrade that (company wants to stick with PS6).
    - blind

Thanks
    Dude...you must have been experiencing a lot of frustration with this same problem that I've been having for some time to acting this quick, huh?

I'm glad this thread helped more than me.

Thanks
    Dude...you must have been experiencing a lot of frustration with this same problem that I've been having for some time to acting this quick, huh?
    Hehe... yeah. Years... go look on Sijun and you'll find threads from me on this going back to '99. In fact, I had given up on finding a solution and then I stumbled on this thread. Thanks!
    - blind

Thanks
    Where is Brush Smoothing located? I'm in PS6 and I don't see it.
    I had 6 until awhile ago. I actuly think that it was enabled my default in 6, but not in 7. As soon as i tried out 7, i noticed the lines looked really jagged. Eventuly i figured otu the problem, but by then i was used ot opencanvas, so now PS7 just sits there, waitign for a moment to shine. :p

Thanks
    Originally posted by Pencil Soldier

I had 6 until awhile ago. I actuly think that it was enabled my default in 6, but not in 7. As soon as i tried out 7, i noticed the lines looked really jagged. Eventuly i figured otu the problem, but by then i was used ot opencanvas, so now PS7 just sits there, waitign for a moment to shine. :p
    Hmmm...that's curious. Now that you say that, I'm not sure that I ever used a Wacom with 6. I only got my tablet about 7 months ago.

But what about Painter 7? I've used my Wacom plenty of times with Painter. The problem doesn't appear to be as bad, but it's still there. I haven't found a smoothing option in that program. Maybe they have something for it in 8. I'm going to get the upgrade soon.

Thanks
    I only have painter 6 and it seems clumsy and hard to learn so i havent used it much. I heard 8 emulates Photoshop though, so i might see about gettign the upgrade too.

Thanks
    I just upgraded to Painter 7...the issue with the strokes does not appear to exist any longer...very smoothe

Thanks
    Originally posted by Pencil Soldier
    I had 6 until awhile ago. I actuly think that it was enabled my default in 6, but not in 7.
    The problem is definitely there in PS6, and I can't find an option to set it on anywhere.
    - blind