Sketchbook: A simple n00b

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: A simple n00b

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A simple n00b

Um...Hi...I'm new here. I'v only been drawing for two and a half years and... well...I'll just post some Images for you.

A simple n00b
    This picture was really fun to draw. I used a reference and drew it on paper without any shading then scanned it into my computer and colored it in open canvas. I was trying to imitate the pc cell shading but it dosent look quite right.
    The original refence pic is here but Its on Deviant art, and I dont haver permision to upload it here.

A simple n00b
    This one was a speed drawing, I drew in on paper in about 15 minutes and colored it in open canvas just a quickly.

Those are the only images I can really upload, I have a few more i would like to show you but I drew them from some life pictures and I'm waiting for the original photogropher to give me permision to show them online.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by F11; August 6th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well , I can say one little thing about teh second picture( the profile), it has a little proportion problems. The chin really shouldn't be so flat , and straight it needs some curves. And the entire head a has an awkward shape to it. Not being mean just some help.
    Here, I use this guys advice when I draw heads , it has helped me improve and should help you too.
    Leaps and Bounds
    Portrait-Artist

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Evxyza92 View Post
    Well , I can say one little thing about teh second picture( the profile), it has a little proportion problems. The chin really shouldn't be so flat , and straight it needs some curves. And the entire head a has an awkward shape to it. Not being mean just some help.
    Here, I use this guys advice when I draw heads , it has helped me improve and should help you too.
    Leaps and Bounds
    Portrait-Artist
    Thank you for the link it looks like i can learn alot there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A simple n00b

I was doing an eye study.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was hoping, Id get more crit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That profile really has not correct proportions, eyes looks great, did u use reference? I suggest u to look at andrew loomis book how to draw heads and hands, that should help learning face drawing alot. And do yourself portraits looking at mirror it helps. Oh and if u stop by my sb, i'd like to hear what do ya think of it.

sujak nx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by throtailer View Post
    That profile really has not correct proportions, eyes looks great, did u use reference? I suggest u to look at andrew loomis book how to draw heads and hands, that should help learning face drawing alot. And do yourself portraits looking at mirror it helps. Oh and if u stop by my sb, i'd like to hear what do ya think of it.
    They eyes were half referance and half imagination. that profile sucked, I dont think its eaven worth fixing(but still worth crit') Can I find that andrew loomis book online, I have no money right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes you can. There is 'drawing tutorial super mega pack' (or smt like that) in torrent sites. If you dont know how to use it or cant find, pm me ill upload, but my net speed is slow as snail so it can take a while. And bout that profile, i think you shouldnt fix it, you should redraw it.

sujak nx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by throtailer View Post
    Yes you can. There is 'drawing tutorial super mega pack' (or smt like that) in torrent sites. If you dont know how to use it or cant find, pm me ill upload, but my net speed is slow as snail so it can take a while. And bout that profile, i think you shouldnt fix it, you should redraw it.
    cant find it anywhere..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi f11 sorry for not replying on your thread i was kinda busy but i still do some drawings. About your works im still studying anatomy so im not good at giving critisism.Your drawings on photoshop i notice the first drawing is unfinished,2nd drawing maybe you could try studying sideview profile it help you alot.
    Good studies on eyes hope to see more of that from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the first picture. I think its very well done. I don't really know why, it just is.

I love the eye sketches you really know how to show an emotion with just the eyes.

The only problem I think I can point out has already been pointed out by Evxyza92 so you should be fine. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A simple n00b

I started reading "figure drawing for all its worth" by andrew loomis as you can see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A simple n00b

lately i feel as if I could'nt draw to save my life

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How come I never get any crit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, that is what I am here for! Don't worry, the crits take time, and you need to post a lot in other peoples books. Not many of them spam the threads like I do. Plus, lots of artists are elitist bastards.

Crits: On your first piece I think it would benifit from some smoothing out of those colors. It looks rotoscoped. I imagine it was probably taken from a photo or painted on top of one. If so, it would be cool to see the original to make a little better comparison. The lines aren't subtle enough. They look to all be the same weight; try using different thicknesses.

I thinks someone crited the second piece, and they are right. Do some skull studies and that will help out on the facial proportions.

The eyes and noses are pretty solid. I would outline them against the paper a bit more to make the scanning go a bit better for you. It helps it bring out the lines. Also a few of the noses look flat, do some more varried shading.

Glad you did the skeletons. I would point out that the shoulders slope a bit more and don't jut straight out. The weight balance is very good though. You could also shrink the chest a tad.

The last ones are nice, and I am glad you are doing some studies. The woman in the lower right (with her arms up) would actually do much better to have shoulders drawn, even if you don't draw a neck. I think her hips are on the small side; but without shoulders, it just makes it more apparent. The other one is pretty solid, though agains with varried line. It also looks like you should loosen up a bit when drawing to get a more natural contour line, though I can't say for sure since I haven't seen you draw.

I think that does it! Keep trucking along; and remember to drop by people's sketchbooks!

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Quote Originally Posted by F11 View Post
How come I never get any crit
Well. Dedication Gets awareded. In comments or critique. The first award of showing your dedication use to be asspats.. When You get more known around the place, You get what you want.. Critique. This is a very exaggerated generalization of the system here on CA. But It kinda works that way.

Show that you are serious by posting what you draw , and that assuming that you draw a lot.. And You'll get what you want Critique. Just ask for it.

Uhm I don't have a lot of time, but I can give you a few hints.

You are starting to use your eyes when drawing, I can see that, you are improving on the observation aspect. Thats great, now you just need to focus and concentrate more on observing, because you are lossing the point in studying when you lose your concentration of seeing what you gonna draw. That results in slightly awkward results.

Slow down, Look, draw, Look again, draw. You gotta do that, Don't rush or anything, I'm not saying you are . I don't know if you are because you are mainly showing us very early sketches.

The eye studies look great, do more! or do more anatomy studying with that quality. When drawing something, try to visualize the form, and not only the shapes and lines. A photo, or even better, From life gives you an opportunity to do this.

In the last page , the first girl, to the very left looks great, You have lost the proportions a little, but still its fine. Just don't rush the hands, thats a really bad habit which you will have to pay back for later. I am doing that now, paying back for bad hand and feet habits, it really suck when you have tight deadlines and you are regretting not studying more anatomy , such simple things too, that appears in life anywhere you are. Anyways, rant. hehe, sorry.

The second girl body is off proportions pretty much completely. Maybe try to grab an anatomy book and grip the "construction" of the human body. You can basically split the torso up in two pieces, and learn how to twist and move it around pretty easy once you get how to construct the body.

Most anatomy books shows this, hogarth, bridgman, loomis ( not so much, but a little ) .. I think hogarth does it the best way, but thats my opinion only.

As for foreshortening, ( the top drawing ) , do it, its really good if you start doing it at your current stage, it , as well as any self-challenges will pay off very soon with hard work behind it. Again anatomy books like Hogarths Dynamic figure will help tremendously with this, I mean grasping forshortening.

A last thing.. Rendering Can't be rushed.. If you rush a rendering , then the piece is quite lost. You must take a lot of time to get the rendering right.. It takes precision, not quick lines up and down to hatch, One by one, side by side , in very nice gradiations ; )

Ohwell, thats a lot, and sorry for my english.. I rushed with the writing.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see that you a very serious guy who just wants to improve. There aren't alot of people around that are really hard boiled like that. I try to be but I love having fun too much so i make up for it in quantity. lol

However your loomis drawings look very nice, the only thing that really bothers me is that you go straight from the manikins to some life drawings. You def have a great sense of what Loomis was going for but you could really shed some light on what you need to work on by showing us a build of manikin, bones, muscles, and skin.

Plus in the manikin drawing, the right shoulder is droopy.

• Members who have read this thread: 1