Please critique my work
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Please critique my work

recently started to doing some concept art but i believe something is still not right. please have a look at my work and critique on how i can improve my art. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    One of the main problems I'm finding here is the lack of universal light source- The horse seems to have 2 strong sources, based on highlights on his head and legs, the monster has them all over the place, and the guy looks like he's illuminated (poorly) from the right. The major visible source of light, however, is from the rear- try to imagine how that would affect the shadows on everyone and then work on it. Nice work on the water, although I'm having trouble believing that the horse is standing in it at all. Furthermore, shouldn't the guy and the horse be a little more alarmed?

Very nice work on the background though, and good use of color and mood in it. Just the foreground that needs work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

much thanks, a lil advice please

hi chagan, much thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. Although i have a question, actually more of a favor than a question. Would it be alright if you could draw in where the light source on the man and the monster would be? nothing too detailed or anything just a scribble to indicate where the light would shine on the subjects. It's just that it's difficult for me to imagine where the light source would shine (i'm really bad at lighting), would that be alright?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Values - There is little sense of depth, try dropping the background back a little, it should help to define the foreground characters more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd probably put a light from the top right, like you've already started to do on the rider. I'd do it some of that marvelous yellow light you have in the background.

I'd also put the rider closer to the monster and crop a bit of the water on the bottom. It would also look nice to have some shadows of leaves in some unitrusive places, since they're in a forest. You could also increase the size of the monster's head upwards, now it's kindof unclear that there really is a monster there due to the water.

I did a crude sketch of where the highlighted and shadowed parts could look be in that light.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right now i feel like my eye is drawn to the bright light background, i agree with whyatt, perhaps bring more of that light into the foreground and desaturate a bit in the back

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.