Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Whyatt sketch thread

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Whyatt sketch thread

Hey everyone. I read that you should use the sketch thread as a sketch dump, so that people could see all your work to get a better idea of your faults...

Similar Threads
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; March 5th, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More old stuff... I used to doodle a lot, as you can tell. I used to draw on anything I could get my hands on. Still do, but I try to keep a sketchpad around so I can save the stuff...

And I had a scanner back then

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A quick 20 minute Jimi sketch I did before going to bed...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last piece is good! Shows emotion, which is very important. The two guys kissing is a bit too gay for me, but artwise it's one of your best here.

Practise some more anatomy, and learn to construct. (Drawing head and hands by Loomis is a great book, go get it) Build a library!
    Might want to try sketching these.

Cheers,

Frans

Digital Painting | v8ART.net
    Visit my Blog for a Crazy Adventure down the Art lane - v8ART

Best educational digital art blog ever - Ctrl+Paint

Pillage & Plunder - Sketchbook

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vigilandus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not bad stuff.

I like some of your invented facial anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits guys. Yes, that kissing pic is seriously gay, there's a story behind that specific piece. A bit of the downer that that's my strongest work... Just goes to prove further that the time you spend on a piece is in no way indicative to the end quality or value of your work.

Thanks for the link, it killed me at the default setting (30 seconds) at 45 I got a bit more comfortable with it. I'll try it again when I'm a bit more awake, it feels like really good training.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the one with the two dudes kissing. its very strong. and i like characters. nice style man.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,589 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hah.. colorblind aswell. The irony of hanging around this site and not being able to see color properly. >_>

Diverse stuff, some of the portrait drawings look pretty good, and I like the first digitals too. Not sure how long they took you, they seem like speedpaints but pretty accurate.
    Many scribbles, but some look really good. Don't know how much of this is 'old' or if you update often though. Just keep practicing and posting, hope to see your stuff pop up in the crit section or activities.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I remember when our job counciler at school asked me what I wanted to do for a living, telling me there were certain jobs I could never take. Like military and pilot or stuff like that. I never figured it'd be an impediment to my carreer when I started working as a graphic designer until one time when a customer asked me about a "weird colour" on an illustration. Hah!

I've got a few systems now that help me prevent embarassing moments like those, but still, yeah. It's certainly a handicap. But, hey, if this guy can do it, why can't I?

PS. I'm gonna have some new stuff up soon hopefully. I'll get back to work tomorrow and that's where the scanner is, so here's to hoping.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As promised... SKETCH DUMP! From magazines, internet, life, and a few originals...

Since I've drawn some from magazines, you might be able to spot a celeb or two in there... And if not I did a crap job. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly, it is Zemotion! Nice call! As credited on my deviantart page: http://whyattthrash.deviantart.com/a...de-up-63983006

This is a sketch thread of learning, these are by definition copies of others' works. From Leonardo da Vinci to Burne Hogarth to Andrew Loomis to Magazines, still life and Zemotion.

If I typed out who was the original artist of every piece or exactly where I got every single topic from, I'd be typing more than I'd be drawing... Also, in that same post I did do a general source-definition of sorts... I did in no way try to take credit for a work I did not do, or claim that it was created entirely by me...

Quote Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post
    As promised... SKETCH DUMP! From magazines, internet, life, and a few originals...

Since I've drawn some from magazines, you might be able to spot a celeb or two in there... And if not I did a crap job. XD
    Besides, Zemotion doesn't seem to care either way about my horrible fanart. I informed her about it and she hasn't commented it in any way, neither good nor bad...

Quote Originally Posted by armetage View Post
    You should type something about where you got it from if you aint the photographer herself
    PS. It sounds like you're accusing me of plagiarism. Are you?

Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; October 4th, 2007 at 06:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wen u draw straight lines 1-6 inches in length use ur elbow. plant it and swing. use ur wrist only to compensate for the small arc created by the elbow. Ghost a lot at first. Ghosting is drawing the line in the air. practicing like how golfer do practice strokes. its like previsualizing your stroke. once ur know what ur doing u wont need to ghost ur lines so much. but the pro's still do it for really important strokes they wanna get right the first time.

another helper is to do point to point lines. kinda like connect the dots. I know this is how artists like scott robertson and feng zhu draw. The dots are nice lil reminders. Just coz someone draws this one way doesnt mean you have to do that same, and it doesnt mean that if u draw that way u'll be as good as them... thier abilities are an accumulation of many skills put together. But know where your lines are going is a big part of it. Its a continual evolution throughout your whole lifetime. Ive seen video photage of a 90 year old cartoonist who's been drawing his whole life and he to had to find and work out ever line, just like the rest of us.... but hell, his pen control was insane!

OK the point to point isnt about drawing the line perfectly so it stops right on the point. Its more about putting down a visual land mark. then u ghost ur line between the dots. and wen ur confident ur line will connect them drop it and let the magic happen. dont worry if u over shoot the point. just make sure u hit it. practice small and work ur way to larger lines. start like 1 inch and the work ur way to six. I used to fill whole 8x11 sheets of just lines when i practiced this technique. with it u should be able to make straight lines without the assistance of a ruler or straight edge.

Then the ellipses are good practice too. After a few straight lines train elbow to oscellate the pen in ellipses or ovals. circles are really tough and take a lot of practice to hit... just work on really stretched out ellipses first. just spin the pen above the paper till you can almost see the ellipse ur want. wen ur confidence summons drop the pen and make the ellipse.... it wont be perfect bcoz u'll prolly miss the closing point of the oval. everyone does. but after practice ull be able to close them almost perfectly. u can use this method for making arcs and curves to, simply draw certain parts of the ellipse and then pic up the pen before it completes.

I hope this gets u going. now drawing is like playing an instrument, there is no one way to do it. just work hard and find wat works for u. once uve put the miles down, literally, u'll get there. I personally found the tactic of using my elbow as a sort of hinge to hit my lines revolutionized my thought and learning process. now i dont even need to have my elbow planted to hit straight lines. I still use my fingers to draw tho. and wen doing large paintings or sketches u'll have to use ur shoulder to get the same result... and on an even bigger scale ur waist and eventually ur legs.

for more on lines and just drawing period check out this dudes blog: http://tenminutedrawing.blogspot.com/

hope that is a lil better. pm me with any questions. I'll try and help u to the best of my knowledge.

OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OBX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much OBX! I'm already using those techniques to some degree, but now I'll make sure to really, really practice it to... well not really to perfection, but a lot!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dude, I'm feelin these sketches! F'en RAD!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Whyatt, decided to come here after seeing your comment in the critique center, welcome to CA, you've got a great start to a SB here. The one with the two guys kissing definitely jumps out the most. I think your pencil sketches are much better than your digitals though. I particularly like the one with the two girls - very well done. Keep it up.

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some anatomy exercises. On the ones that have bones, muscles and skin I tried to imagine the "skin" ones using the bones and muscles as reference. I did cheat a tiny bit in places where the exterior appearence is affected by more than bones and muscle (like around the knee), but I think I did ok. Please crit the "skin" pieces if there's something impossible going on in there. I have my doubts about the thigh being able to display that much muscle...

Thanks!

Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; September 11th, 2007 at 10:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aiel doodles. First time I did something w/o reference in a loooong time, so it wook me a while to get warmed up... The first far dareis mai was the initial character sketch, and the notes around her were made after I had done all the doodles and actually researched what the books say about the cadin'sor attire... I got very little wrong, it seems... The one with the two aiel and the trolloc was actually just meant as a character study of her, but turned into something else.

Yes, I have problems with drawing characters in perspective... *sigh*

Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; September 11th, 2007 at 05:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha! Man! Nothing boring on this SB! I really enjoy all the dynamism in your work, outrageous poses, outrageous colors, great value, Pencils feel the strongest to me. Anatomy is your weakest point(as is for us all) But, seriously, their is some great stuff in here. I prefer the pencil renders over all.
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    N1va & trip: Well, I love the pencils, I guess you can tell.... I've never really felt passionate about digitals, or colouring at all.

I used to think that painting and colours didn't agree with me, and then I really tried it for a while and noticed I actually could get decent results.. But like I said, it's never been a favourite of mine, it just felt like the next natural step, and people kept bugging me that I should do digitals...

I've realized exactly how much I don't know and how much I need to study so, as you can tell, I concentrate heavily on studying... Right now, anatomy and posing and life. Then maybe perspective. Then maybe when I can do decent sketches without copping out and faking it, I can take up colouring again. In like a year or two...

Thanks for all your comments! I appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Whyatt! excellent stuff stuff you've got here, and so much improvement just over these last few posts. One crit though, alot of the poses you've got the girls in are ridiculously over-feminized, I mean it's good to have some gender differentiation but why is that chick with the spears shoving her boobs out like that? I just tried this and it's a very uncomfortable way to stand

Lots of love man you're getting extremely good.

I'm bad at sketchbooks, have a tumblr!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to FoxinShocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, man (or woman? ). I hadn't thought about over-feminization... I am a dedicated fan of over-posing, regardless of gender and species...

I'll try to keep that it in mind so that it doesn't look ridiculous though when it's not what I'm intending. That aiel woman (spearlady) was just a character concept to begin with, then it sorta turned into a scene, so I didn't really plan for that pose to have to communicate something.

The problem that I see with it is that it's not a very aiel or warrior way to stand, I don't think an aiel would ever strike that pose. Maybe that's what you mean, it's not too feminine per se but it's too feminine for a warrior?

I'm not being defensive, just trying to understand what it is I'm doing wrong and why and how I could fix it.

Cheers!

Edit: Just came back to it some time later, and now I see it. Yeah the pose is definetily not appropriate for the setting. I'll have to think more about attitude even in my character studies I suppose... It's refreshing sometimes to realize exactly how bad your work is. At least it feels like I'm getting some kind of insight... Thanks!

Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; September 18th, 2007 at 07:00 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not at all how I pictured either but still very cool.
    I've got to paint up a trolloc... my image of one is very different from any I've seen portrayed it seems.
    Jake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bought myself a new sketchbook the other day, the old one was full. So here are some sketch dumps!

Nothing special... First one, trying to capture sexy again... These were pretty fast. Then some life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more. These are from my girlfriend's flamenco-class. It's their fourth lesson so there wasn't a lot of skirt-twirling, but still productive for me. Good practice on drawing the body in motion, although they look pretty inanimate in the sketches. I drew it all with a pretty soft pencil, which in retrospect feels like a mistake. The new sketchbook takes some getting used to....

Last are some pose-doodles.

Any and all tips on improvement are appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; September 18th, 2007 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Would just like to add that I crit hard, and expect the same in return. I don't need no soft around the edges, I need to improve in any way I can. So anything that you think might help me advance, just throw it at me.

Please, tear me apart!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great progress man . You seem to have trained your eye, I recognized all the celebs that you drew. One thing I think you should work on more is line quality. You should relax your arm a little and be loose. That's one thing I'm striving for as well. Also try to simplify your values more and think in 6 basic types of values for each independent object: [highlight, local value, halftone], [core shadow, reflected light, cast shadow]. Try to always think ahead and decide which value goes to which category, and don't mix them. Good luck, keep sketching!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I really dig your anatomy studies. Which book(s) are u using?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to IvkeBG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I agree on the line quality. I've had a bad couple of days when I can't draw worth of crap. And I seem to regress to old mistakes and old ways and it just makes me feel like crap. I really need to start improving lines again...

I don't quite understand what you mean about the shadows... What's "local value"? And what do you mean by not mixing values? That I shouldn't let a cast shadow overlap a core shadow? I'm confused...

The anatomy studies are from here: http://www.amazon.com/Artistic-Anato...189797&sr=1-10
    It's basically a reference book of muscles and bones, like a medical encyclopedia but from an artists point of view. It's pretty cool.

I'm waiting on getting some Hogarth books but damn Amazon takes forever... Two days late already! Come on, I don't have forever to learn this stuff!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't quite understand what you mean about the shadows... What's "local value"? And what do you mean by not mixing values? That I shouldn't let a cast shadow overlap a core shadow? I'm confused...
    Sorry dude, I realize I've been a little vague on the values comment. The local value as some teachers describe it is the value of an object when it's diffusely lit, without strong shadows or lights. It's the color of the object's material represented as value. For example a dark red shirt vould have a local value of 4 (1 being black and 10 being white). You probably know this stuff, only use different terminology. As for the mixing, I meant that no part of the shadow should be as light as any part of the light. For instance a lot of people tend to make the reflected light lighter than it is, as light as the halftone and it breaks up the illusion of the form. I did a little sketch to clarify this, hopefuly it'll help you more than my babbling I'll try to remember which books I used for the theory and I'll let you know. Cheerz!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to IvkeBG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah the light theory really kills me. I try to understand it as best I can but I dunno why I find it so difficult. Sorry to be a bother, but could you point out some recent sketch that looks like I tried hard to reflect shadow and colour correctly and messed this up?

There are a lot of recent life sketches with moving bodies where I just tried to capture the form in a quick way and didn't really care about value, so I know that those are all wrong. You think I should focus as much on value as on form on those studies?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...could you point out some recent sketch that looks like I tried hard to reflect shadow and colour correctly and messed this up?

You think I should focus as much on value as on form on those studies?
    I can't find anything where you messed up the reflected light, it's more that in some sketches you've only got basically halftones throughout, or in some sketches your value shapes are off. The educatinal material that is helping me the most is Andy Loomis' 'Creative Illustration' chapter on values (especially when he's quoting Howard Pyle), Fred Fixler's notes on drawing (google it), and Morgan Weistling's painting demo DVD, he explained basic theory very clearly. But the thing that helped me heaps as well is looking at the life drawings (quick sketches and studies the most) of instructors at Watts atelier. When you look at those drawings you can really see the simplification process, you can pinpoint all the basic value types. Also examine the painters that were really good with simple tonal plans like Frazetta, Vermeer, Rembrandt. Try to get/see some of that stuff, it'll help you a lot.

Your sketches named 'Looking_out_by_WhyattThrash', that sketch on the far right, also the left sketch in 'dump10' file, that's a good example of where you should probably direct your rendering prtactice, they are really good. Simple values, easily readable when zoomed out.

As for the studies, if you're quicksketching, you are striving to capture proportions, rhythm, balance, and/or basic tonal plan at best (just simple light and simple shadow). If you are doing value studies, you are focusing on both drawing and rendering. You should probably do both imo. Drawing is the basic building block, but value comes right after.

Well, that's about it. Try to get a hold of some of that learning material. Good luck dude, keep on sketching

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 51