Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: The Whyatt sketch thread

Thanks
    hey, dont fret the lines. they do take a lot of time and patience tho. to get those whooshy art student like figure drawings you'll have to master drawing ellipses. and a lot of those are done on massive newsprint pads... not a sketch book, and it takes a considerable amount of talent to replicate that on a smaller scale. To draw them the person moves thier whole shoulder and swings it around drawing the ellipse in the air above the paper and then wen they think they have the right ellipse they drop down the charcoal. to get those whooshy lines u'll have to learn to manipulate and draw fractions of ellipses. then wen confidence builds u can practice "s" curves etc. and work them into ur drawing strategies. If you like I could divulge more ideas. But I wont waste ur time any longer. just be patient and give it time. great stuff. keep working at it and you'll get there.
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to OBX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Foxinshocks: Yeah, I used to feel there was nothing wrong with twisting my notebook or arm, until I started trying to catch quick poses from life standing up or sitting down holding up my sketchbook in front of me with my other hand. It's impossible to get down quick lines trying to twist everything around all the time.

So no, I don't think it has anything to do with the physical action of the angle of pen towards paper, but rather whether you're comfortable drawing those lines or not. And comfort is all about getting accostumed, so I'm trying hard to get accostumed...

Imagine the possibilities of being able to draw any line you want with the same speed and accuracy in one linear flow! That'd be sweet...

OBX Thanks, man! I'm very interested, please divulge!
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    ive seen this imabe before:http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1188816648
    Its a photograph taken from zemotion. think the adress is www.zemotion.net
    You should type something about where you got it from if you aint the photographer herself

Thanks
    Exactly, it is Zemotion! Nice call! As credited on my deviantart page: http://whyattthrash.deviantart.com/a...de-up-63983006

This is a sketch thread of learning, these are by definition copies of others' works. From Leonardo da Vinci to Burne Hogarth to Andrew Loomis to Magazines, still life and Zemotion.

If I typed out who was the original artist of every piece or exactly where I got every single topic from, I'd be typing more than I'd be drawing... Also, in that same post I did do a general source-definition of sorts... I did in no way try to take credit for a work I did not do, or claim that it was created entirely by me...

Quote Originally Posted by Whyatt Thrash View Post
    As promised... SKETCH DUMP! From magazines, internet, life, and a few originals...

Since I've drawn some from magazines, you might be able to spot a celeb or two in there... And if not I did a crap job. XD
    Besides, Zemotion doesn't seem to care either way about my horrible fanart. I informed her about it and she hasn't commented it in any way, neither good nor bad...

Quote Originally Posted by armetage View Post
    You should type something about where you got it from if you aint the photographer herself
    PS. It sounds like you're accusing me of plagiarism. Are you?
    Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; October 4th, 2007 at 06:07 AM.

Thanks
    Wen u draw straight lines 1-6 inches in length use ur elbow. plant it and swing. use ur wrist only to compensate for the small arc created by the elbow. Ghost a lot at first. Ghosting is drawing the line in the air. practicing like how golfer do practice strokes. its like previsualizing your stroke. once ur know what ur doing u wont need to ghost ur lines so much. but the pro's still do it for really important strokes they wanna get right the first time.

another helper is to do point to point lines. kinda like connect the dots. I know this is how artists like scott robertson and feng zhu draw. The dots are nice lil reminders. Just coz someone draws this one way doesnt mean you have to do that same, and it doesnt mean that if u draw that way u'll be as good as them... thier abilities are an accumulation of many skills put together. But know where your lines are going is a big part of it. Its a continual evolution throughout your whole lifetime. Ive seen video photage of a 90 year old cartoonist who's been drawing his whole life and he to had to find and work out ever line, just like the rest of us.... but hell, his pen control was insane!

OK the point to point isnt about drawing the line perfectly so it stops right on the point. Its more about putting down a visual land mark. then u ghost ur line between the dots. and wen ur confident ur line will connect them drop it and let the magic happen. dont worry if u over shoot the point. just make sure u hit it. practice small and work ur way to larger lines. start like 1 inch and the work ur way to six. I used to fill whole 8x11 sheets of just lines when i practiced this technique. with it u should be able to make straight lines without the assistance of a ruler or straight edge.

Then the ellipses are good practice too. After a few straight lines train elbow to oscellate the pen in ellipses or ovals. circles are really tough and take a lot of practice to hit... just work on really stretched out ellipses first. just spin the pen above the paper till you can almost see the ellipse ur want. wen ur confidence summons drop the pen and make the ellipse.... it wont be perfect bcoz u'll prolly miss the closing point of the oval. everyone does. but after practice ull be able to close them almost perfectly. u can use this method for making arcs and curves to, simply draw certain parts of the ellipse and then pic up the pen before it completes.

I hope this gets u going. now drawing is like playing an instrument, there is no one way to do it. just work hard and find wat works for u. once uve put the miles down, literally, u'll get there. I personally found the tactic of using my elbow as a sort of hinge to hit my lines revolutionized my thought and learning process. now i dont even need to have my elbow planted to hit straight lines. I still use my fingers to draw tho. and wen doing large paintings or sketches u'll have to use ur shoulder to get the same result... and on an even bigger scale ur waist and eventually ur legs.

for more on lines and just drawing period check out this dudes blog: http://tenminutedrawing.blogspot.com/

hope that is a lil better. pm me with any questions. I'll try and help u to the best of my knowledge.
    OBX - drawing a.d.d.
    The art of Joel Hladky

-Fear is the enemy of Imagination - Andrew Jones-

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OBX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you so much OBX! I'm already using those techniques to some degree, but now I'll make sure to really, really practice it to... well not really to perfection, but a lot!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Beautiful.

Realism is something I never attempted to conquer- I hope to someday, but until then, I'll stay in comic form, thanks. But your muscle studies almost have me convinced.

I love your digital painting, it's really gorgeous.

Cheers!

Thanks
    First image in post number 32 is my favorite. It's so simple but you captured everything that was needed. Great gesture! Your style ahs a great sense of mood and poses.

There are some anotomy issues with a couple but they are not so recognized unless you really look for em. Just keep drawing, you have a great eye for observation!

Thanks
    Sorry to disappoint you man, but like it says in my post, they were not drawn by me but examples of what I want to learn to do.

So, it's good praise, but for some artist other than me.

Thanks for the attention anyways...

Thanks
    Returnin' the favor!

Let me start by saying what I really enjoy about your work, and what I feel stands out from perusing your sketches right now. Expression. Whether it's deadly calm or some crazy emotion you had to invent new ways for faces to stretch to convey, all your pictures have got it in spades. I think that's great.

Some of your sketches up near the top of this page remind me alot of Dynamic Figure Drawing by Burne Hogarth. It's a cool book you've probably heard about a million times, but if you haven't, check it out.

All in all, great work. I'm afraid I haven't much more to say!

Thanks
    I love everything on post #10. I'll be more thorough later. Gotta go to work.
    The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Oh. The Jimi portrait is awesome. I love your pencil work. I can't really give you advice on how to improve because you are ahead of me as far as skill.
    The first step - especially for young people with energy and drive and talent, but not money - the first step to controlling your world is to control your culture. To model and demonstrate the kind of world you demand to live in. To write the books. Make the music. Shoot the films. Paint the art.
    -Chuck Palahniuk

Sketchbook

Thanks
    I know it's a really simple point but your drawing of ears isn't great- I hate drawing them too and you can't always cover them with hair. When they're wrong the entire drawing suffers x

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mumrah For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.