Am I too late?

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Am I too late?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Am I too late?

Hey

Um i'm getting slightly worried. You see i've always had an interest in art. I've also had an interest in music, but art has always been something that i've been doing since i could pick up a pencil. Thing is, i never really took it seriously up until recently. I'm in my final year of school and to be honest, i haven't gotten the grips on human anatomy that well, and i'm only familiar with using a pencil. I can use a tablet, Photoshop and Painter as well, but i need to master the fundamental core traditional skills first; pencils, anatomy, colour, lighting etc etc.. right? I'm not good with watercolour as i've had hardly any experience let alone have any watercolour materials to try. To buy the materials would take a while because i'm kind of low on money. I'm just getting worried that it's too late to learn or that i won't it's too late me taking illustration/concept art more seriously.

Am i? Or am i worrying a little too much? I'm confused and lost...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,678 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    am i worrying a little too much?
    No, you're worrying a lot too much.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're just confused and lost. It's never too late.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Farvus View Post
    You're just confused and lost. It's never too late.
    Or, to put it another way, it's ALWAYS too late! By this I mean, even if you're drawing perfect anatomy in grade school, there will always be that one kid who's a year behind you and drawing twice as good. As such, since the "race" (whatever that is) is already lost, don't even bother with it and just set your own pace. At least, that's what I'm doing!

Check out my efforts to become a "real" artist here!
    http://bigroadstudios.com/olddog/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I second everything that has already been said. They exude truth from every pore.
    I'm in the second to last year of school, and haven't gripped anatomy either, and I'm just starting to get the hang of Photoshop painting. Just practice, and if you want feedback on a piece, post it. From there, they'll give you things to work on and areas you need to practice in. I suggest doing your best, making a piece, and posting it soon, so that they can start helping you.

The pen is mightier than the sword, but the minigun does more damage.

Amateur Arist Looking To Be Mentored
    Clever - Loyal - Open Minded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm 33, been drawing about a month. I'm still learning anatomy.

However, I am now starting to get the hang of it. Search the forums for Loomis' books.

Draw Mannequins until you hate them and then you will be ready to start learning about anatomy. Things I have been working on, proportions, foreshortening, perspective and basic shapes.

If you are like me, you will have problems with hands and heads (I am not even talking detail, just roughing them in). Look up Bridgeman (an artist) for hands.

If you are looking for more beyond Loomis, or you need something alittle more visual (and have a strong stomach), you can watch free dissection videos found on University's anatomy websites.

Practice, it's just like anything else. I can already see that imagination is something that is opened up to me, upon the tools of trade being learned and used.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The newcomers to this forum seem to be generally divided into two groups.

Group 1: Those who think their art is perfect in every way. These people are beyond help..

and

Group 2: Those who think that the journey to greatness may be longer than they can manage - these are the people who will benifit from this forum, and these are the people who can reach and surpass thier goals, if they give it their all.

If you are pondering art school, i would suggest taking a gander at this thread, as it deals with a lot of the questions that pop up.

However, I can safely say that the biggest obstacle standing between yourself and some damn good art, is confidence. I don't beleive you can be too old, or that it can be too late.

The 'is it too late?' questions are the ones that stagnate you, and stop you from moving forward. Here's what you should do:

Take your Photoshop, Painter and tablet and watercolors, and pack them away.

Its just gonna be you, and your pencil.. (maybe some conte), then just practice practice practice. Do self portraits, draw your hands, draw from life, pratice anatomy. Do contour drawings. Draw every day.

Thats what the people who create the works of art you see on here have done, and continue to do. Even your favorite contemporary artists are still growing, and trying to learn new things.

Summarizing, its never too late. But becoming a serious artist is a difficult task and takes a long time and a LOT of hard work. Don't ever let anyone tell you that art is easy!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiespiderman View Post
    Or, to put it another way, it's ALWAYS too late! By this I mean, even if you're drawing perfect anatomy in grade school, there will always be that one kid who's a year behind you and drawing twice as good. As such, since the "race" (whatever that is) is already lost, don't even bother with it and just set your own pace. At least, that's what I'm doing!
    Agreed. I'm 23, and I feel like I missed out on years of practice when I see 20-yr-olds and sometimes even 17-yr-olds producing work that blows my mind. But then there are artists on here that are 10, even 20 years older than me and still learning. So age really isn't a good scale for comparison.

And when you say you're almost out of "school", do you mean high school? Because no one should have everything figured out at that stage. And if they do, I don't wanna know about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, i never thought i'd get this many replies. Thank you all so much, you've each made me see things more clearly and openly now.
    I'll definitely take all your advice seriously and stop worrying so much. Take one step at a time i guess :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also think about these thing....I just recenly started to REALLY get into art and always have a complexion that everyone is better(basicly because of CA)...and lose self confidence. I also understand that EVERYONE think like this sometimes.
    This art industry is very hard and I always fear I will never be good enough to have a job as a concept artist , illustrator or something....then I saw how the "old ones" started and forgot these problems and wish that one day I may look back and say...."What the hell was I worrying for?"
    As for the "Am I too late" part
    For an example.... Tivadar Kosztka Csontvry started over his 20's....and look after him and see for your self.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Many of us have thought about this so that is why you are getting so many replies. We can all relate to your worries.

You are def. worrying too much. Art is a personal adventure, and you can start it, stop it whenever you want to. If you have goals, then break those big goals into little goals and achieve the small stuff first.

ie. Master drawing an aspect of the human form...the forearm for instance.

[][][][] DRAW EVERYDAY [][][][]>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theres no such thing as too late in ART. I think Art is timeless. And if Art is timeless then the Artist should also be timeless. =)

I'm 24 and I know that I still have alot to learn if I wanna be a good artist. Don't be in a "rush" mode to learn about Art. I know its a long journey but the road is pretty much paved for us with the resources that we have today like online guides, online forums, or CA. hehe

best wishes to you buddy

refine your skills

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.