Thanks

Sculpture Portfolio Query

Would it be important or neccassary that I show multiple angles of a my sculptures in my portfolio? I can get through a bunch faster if I take shortcuts so i can have a portfolio ready in about a month. If it is prefered to have more than one angle though I can take the time to do it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Don't think there's any set way of doing it but I think it'd probably be a good idea to show a piece of work from several different angles.

Sculptures can often look different depending on the angle of shot: dramatic from a low angle perhaps or more clinical from a flat straight-on angle.

Thanks
    Are you talking about a physical, hold-in-your-hands portfolio, or an online one?

In both cases, I think it's a good idea to show multiple shots. One of the common problems of inexperienced sculptors is the tendency to work more from one angle (usually the front) and ignore other ones. By including multiple angles, you will show that you aren't guilty of this, and show that your pieces stand up to 360° scrutiny, which is necessary for most commercial sculpture works.

The nicest physical portfolio I've ever seen used a two page spread for each work. One page was a really well-photographed and dynamically lit image that had a lot of impact, and the other page had four smaller pictures from different angles in more flat lighting. It had the benefit of both making the piece look dynamic, and showing that the sculptor knew his way around shape and form.

But, as The Dark Power said, there's no set way... if your portfolio shows what you do and gives a good idea of your ability and what you've done, then you should be good.

Thanks
    Sounds very interesting. Thanks for your help.