Sketchbook: Everything I Did Today

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Everything I Did Today

Hey, I'm new to this whole digital thing. I cropped, rotated and auto leveled these in gimp. If you have any suggestions on how else to make my work more presentable, I'm all ears. Also, how do I make a thumbnail show up next to the thread in the SB forum? Thanks in advance.

A style steal of Mentler's work. Not a copy, just trying to get inside the man's head.
    Everything I Did Today
    Some teeny weenies, done in the spirit of Mentlerism.
    Everything I Did Today
    Self portrait, I've been doing these daily for a couple weeks now. No biggie, just drawin' what I see.
    Everything I Did Today
    Drawing for the DSG
    Everything I Did Today
    EDIT: Oh, and how do you chnge your signature? I want to put a link to my sketchbook in it.

Testing a third time.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zaxser; August 7th, 2007 at 09:48 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start to your SB, Zaxser..

My advice on the creature (which is pretty cool, btw) -- next time, establish a basic skeletal framework lightly in pencil and make sure the line of gravity (to borrow a bit from mentlerism ) is such that the creature's weight will be supported by whatever limbs he's standing on.

Keep up the good work, Z

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you wanna edit your signature, you'll need to click 'User CP' in the top corner. I'm sure you can figure it out from there.

Welcome to CA.

>>>CLICK HERE AND CLAIM YOUR FREE* IPOD<<<

*there is no ipod, actually. sorry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

August 5th 2007

ChocoNumNum: Thanks alot. Really helped me out.

AmontilladoAg: Yeah, I wanted him to get support from all four limbs, and I'm afraid it doesn't look like it now. I'll have do something about that... neat sketchbook by the way. I might have to subscribe...

I've been doing copies of photographs to get my technical skills up with my tablet. Sorry for today's suckitude.

Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today

Two old DSGs
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today

Another oldie. Study of the bones of the bones of the hand. I think this is palm up, left hand.

Everything I Did Today

More teenie weenies. Feeling more like gestures and suspiciously unmentler like. I might have to break down and do some master copies tomorrow

Everything I Did Today

Copy of a photo, pencils, old, not finished, probably never going to be.

Everything I Did Today

Another Mentler style steal that fails to meet the standards to meet the standards of Mentlerism.

Everything I Did Today

Copies of photos of birds. Drew until I got bored, then started a new one. I'm trying to get a feel for the wings for a project I want to get started on.

Everything I Did Today

Boring self portrait.

Everything I Did Today

Goals for tomorrow:
    Do three life drawings
    So a master copy of mentler's work

Goals for next week:
    Do more life drawing
    Do three self portraits for new project
    Get technical skills up with my tablet to the point where I can try some furiae tutorials.

See you tomorrow, same zax time same zax channel.

edit:
    Oh and one more sketch

Everything I Did Today

Last edited by Zaxser; August 5th, 2007 at 05:23 PM.
    Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sketches This most recent cow-headed creature seems better placed in terms of stance...

I like your bird studies -- wings are tough You're wise to study up..

On your SP, the ear seems a little high, and I think the (invisible) middle vertical line of your face will work better if you think of the face as being convex -- as in, most people's profiles aren't flat; the face slopes slightly at the forehead and chin... I'm not sure if I explained that well...hmm...

Anyway.. keep up the good drawz

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, the bio-mechanical minotaur is a couple weeks older than the sheep crab blend. It probably has more to do with the fact that I've drawn thousands of people, but probably not a single sheep or crab in the last year. Anyway, why don't you start joining the DSGs? There alot of fun.

Oh and thanks for noticing the ultimate crapitude of yesterday's self portrait. I'm trying to make up for it.

Everything I Did Today

Profile based on abstract lines. I started doing these after being inspired by leonardo's grotesques. Lots of fun, but doing a whole page takes too damn long. I used to do something similiar in the third grade, but they always came out to be lizard and bird heads in profile, which I would attach to head on human bodies with unconvincing anatomy and random weapons for hands.

Everything I Did Today

The master copy I promised. From this. Mentler got ten figures on the top line. Y'know how many I got? Nine. I hate him so much. Overall there's only two and a half missing. The last one on the first line, the last one on the third line and I stopped midway on the biq (3 inches on Mentler's page) because it was getting late and the quality of my work was beginning to drop precipitously.

Everything I Did Today

Still life of a shoe. I hate when stuff smudges.

Everything I Did Today

It was sort of meant to be an apology for yesterday's self portrait, but I screwed up on the third one. Perspective is hard! >_< I'll try to redraw it.

Everything I Did Today

Trying to do another still life shoes. Crappy? Yes. But I did it today.

Everything I Did Today

My teenies. I did these before the master copy, but I think I'm begining to see some of the reason behind the madness.

Everything I Did Today

Reading the book of bones + listening to pokemon on TV = ...

And here are two more photo copies with the tablet...

Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today

So late... so tired... so sorry. Piffy comments tomorrow.

EDIT: Piffy comments added. Now I'm back to the drawing board.

Last edited by Zaxser; August 7th, 2007 at 04:00 PM.
    Do you Mentler?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything I Did Today

Testing Again.

This is about as good as I ever got with my tablet before it broke last time. But I do so little color work it's pathetic. Oh and Amon (I refuse to go through the mindfuck of typing your whole name) I came up with a new gimmick to get more critiques in my sketchbook. Click on The Most Awesome Artist Ever in my sig.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Zaxser; August 7th, 2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Do you Mentler?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Copies of photographs with Tablet. Qualities sort of a mixed bag, since after I noticed I was getting a little better, I started working at the same resolution as the photograph I was copying.(rather than double) In case anyone feels like actually checking the thread out, I was wondering how Gez Fry gets his line work to look the way it does. Click on the skull in the hall of fame at the top of the page to see it. He uses a tablet for a tablet for all his work, but I've been heretofore unable to create the same affect. Any ideas?

Anyway, I've been keeping up with my real sketchbook too,.I'll have to scan it in tomorrow.

Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today

Do you Mentler?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fear my teenie fu, Mentler! Soon, the student will become the teacher! Hyaaa!
    Everything I Did Today
    Some snipe drawings I did at the DMV.
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Face drawing and experiment with three point perspective.
    Everything I Did Today
    Profile and beginning of sill life.
    Everything I Did Today
    Beginning of still life.
    Everything I Did Today
    I was watching the trailer for balls of fury, where the girl punches the guy in the nuts after losing a ping pong match and I decided to start a picture of it... and never finish. Oh well.
    Everything I Did Today
    Some snipe drawings of my family. I did these in pen. I actually consider myself better with pen, but its bad for snipe drawing because I think it encourages me to go straight to the rendering phase instead of building up... which is weird because Mentler works mostly in pen.
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Everything I Did Today
    Beginning of s drawing inspired by an old DSG. I'm going to go overboard on the rendering already.
    Everything I Did Today
    A face. I want to turn this into something bigger, more complete. We'll see what happens.
    Everything I Did Today

Do you Mentler?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for the comment on my sketchbook. I really appreciate it.

Your drawings are looking good. I hope you don't mind some critique from a less experienced artist like myself... The facial proportions look like they are off just a little bit to me. It looks like you know where everything goes but you sometimes don't take the time to place them correctly. Other than that I think the gesture drawings look great and the colored portrait of the girl is really cool.

I like all the drawings but I would really like to see some completely rendered!

Keep up the good work and post some more!

Sketchbook.

"Art is the proper task of life. "
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do not make me the most awesome artist ever please, I am doing this of my own free will. I don't want someone to think I did this just for some pimpage, because I'm doing it to help you specifically.

I am mad that Jake has not been doing my assigments and instead, letting down 2 mentors and becoming one on his own, ignoring his responsibilities. However, I am already sort of mentoring someone else, but I would be happy to mentor you as well. I will talk to a mod about cleaning up my thread, so that you and the other can post in there instead. However, you might need to miss out on the ninja thread a little bit. I will be constantly updating with assignments.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.