Sketchbook: Sweet_Sorrow's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sweet_Sorrow's Sketchbook

Hi there, i'm 15 right now, and i'm been lurking around CA for a few months, getting inspired by a lot of the great art, and seeing so many people improve through their SBs. I just started to seriously draw about a month or so ago. I'm here to improve, and work a bit more on my art. For some reason fantastical beasts and fantasy drawing always appealed to me, maybe because you can really express so much through what you come up with.

I've decided to start working on anatomy, and do LOADS of studies, and hopefully have the patience to keep up with it! I've been doing some really simple sketches the past few days to help me loosen up a bit since i'm really hesitant at making "errors". I'll be slowly going through Nicolaides book, doing a few (not three hours) of his exercises daily to warm up. So blind contours and gesture drawings for now. I'll be using Pose Maniacs as models. Then I guess I'll start with loomis, work with proportions and do all those skeletal studies, over and over again, and hopefully not become impatient.

Photoshop art is incredible IMO, but I don't want to pull a LOL. So i'll work on my drawing and stuff first I also love the color and how drawings look in conte crayon sanguine, that'll be something to experiment with in a few months.

I've also really wanted to improve my rendering, and get a better understanding of how i should do it according to lighting. I have PDFs of all of Loomis's books, some bridgman, and the Hamm book.

Here are some quick, very unfinished drawings i've done in the past while. As you can see a lot of things are "off".

Here is my first full human drawing, from a pose from Pose Maniacs. Ignore the odd muscle work, I tried mainly to get the shape right. Here's the original, and after mine, i made it look neat.

I'll be posting studies as I do them, but the quick stuff, like gesture scribbles and minute poses i'll spare you guys.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Last edited by sweet_sorrow; January 4th, 2009 at 04:37 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its good initiative that you're starting this @ 15. You've got loads and loads of time till it becomes important.

Anyways. The watercolours are nice and good start on the anatomy studies. You know I like posemaniacs as well but it seems to me that you drew what you saw more than what you imagined. By that I mean try an underdrawing using cylynders and other 3 dimentional objects..Also focus on where the light is coming from and how the skin reacts to that.

I myself just started thinking that way but once you start understanding the space concept there will be nothing to really stop you from advancing.

Besides that I really wish you the best.

OH AND YOU MENTIONED YOU GOT BRIDGEMAN BOOKS. If I could bother you to send me the link or tell me how you got em I'd appreciate it tons. Been to tons of frickin Book stores and none have it Blah.

neways lats haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know Amazon sells Bridgman, but I got a friend of mine to get them off Torrent. I know Loomis's books can also be found here : http://noobgrinder.com/Loomis

I definitely drew what I saw, versus imagined. I have a hard time drawing from my mind, I really need reference. The studies I think will help though, all that practice. And underdrawing? What exactly is that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't done much for a good two weeks, i've been really busy with animals and re-doing my room. I've also for some reason been hesitant to pick up a pencil. But i'm good now, so i'll be doing more. This is stuff from after my first sb post. Lots of quick poses, again, off pose maniacs, to try to get a better grasp of seeing what i need to see quickly. I've started some skeletal studies, but I'm a bit lost on creating my own based on the central point/gravity. Something to do over and over in hopes of maybe eventually understanding it, unless someone can help me out?

I've left out the stick mannequin figures, and put out one of the complete ones. I'm going to try to do about 50 in the next few weeks.

These are all very quick sketches, nothing thats been worked on at all. The "concept" (not quite one, just threw on clothes, but its something maybe to eventually work on) is also very simple.

Sorry that these pics are so big, I just attached them, not too sure how to resize, but i'm sure there's a sticky somewhere so i'll have a look.

Attached Images Attached Images                    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My start of Loomis Studies. I've decided to copy the book for now (mannequin section, i'll do about 50 before moving on, try from memory too). I've somewhat got a grasp on the whole center weight it all has to follow thing, but my understanding of it will improve with practice. I've been working now more on one of my larger SBs (11"x14"), since i feel freer drawing in it, which helps unstress me when i start a new drawing (i'm weird like that sometimes), once i start though i'm fine. He they are, I split it in three since my scanner doesn't fit the full page.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by sweet_sorrow; August 27th, 2007 at 07:31 PM. Reason: rotating

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is very talented for a 15 year old.
    I never went through a Loomis book, but I see you made some nice figure drawing studies.
    Keep it up.

My Boring Sketchbook of Invisible Doom
    There's really nothing to see here yet.
    Progress is a difficult thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, These are really good for 16, as has been said.
    i've been meaning to do loomis for ages now.
    and bridgman for that point..
    I really like the ones of the dragons, and the way you mark your drawings to help yourself see whats wrong,
    I'll be keeping a watch out =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL the 100% was in reference to it looking like a mouse

I've been sketching mannequins during some classes in school, and i'm really surprised that I can do them well without reference. It took me a while to start just doing them from my mind because i've always been really hesitant. Its a start. Anyways, I'll get a better grasp of the mannequin business and how it moves before i move on in the book. I just need to get REALLY comfortable with it.

By biggest concern is lighting and shading in drawings and stuff. Its definitely one of my weak points. Something to work A LOT on once i feel like I've gotten somewhere with some anatomy work.

Sorry for not posting work with this post! I'll get some stuff up over the weekend. More mannequins. Visually, I think i have a pretty good grasp of how things should be placed, and how it should look to be natural (arms, legs, etc.), the only thing is getting it down CLEANLY on paper. I tend to be messy sometimes with sketches. I've been working on it a bit though and it's gotten better.

Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies! Keep that up. I really like the wolf and bird at the beginning too. You're off to a really good start.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really good stuff!! wow, your'e 15? ME TOO! i REALLY like your watercolors, i've been having trouble with mine. if you want to futher hone your animals, try studying some animal anatomy book and drawing from real life. trust me, drawing a live bird, dog, or horse could totally change the way an imaginary animal looks. also, you should check out the art of Terryl Whitlatch

Incessant Doodlings of a Wandering Mind (my sketchbook)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96904

"Avoidance of what you can't draw well doesn't stimulate growth." -Cory Trego-Erdner

"Only the mediocre are always at their best."-Jean Giraudoux

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate to post without any new stuff, I need to scan some
    I'm working on some human anatomy atm, but i think drawing some animals live will her keep things interesting. Thanks for the suggestion!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.