Alien Creature concept
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alien Creature concept

This is a creature concept I came up with as I watched the Carlos Huante DVD. It just popped into my head and I drew as quick as I could to get as much of it out of me. I don't have a lot of experience drawing creatures, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The execution is nice, but the creature is just... weird! Sorry man! Or kudos, depending on what you like...

It's different, allright.

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the design - highly original and nicely executed. Just one thing... I can't imagine it doing much more than wobbling with that leg configuration! Great concept though.

My sketchbook lives here:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102930
    It likes the feel of eyes on it's skin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's well executed man, but very humanoid looking with extra bits stuck on. Mabye you want to make it quite human in general form, your call. If it was me I would use this as a strong starting point and rework it a little, avoiding the "guy in a suit" look.

I hope this makes sense and is helpful

ATA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nicely done and you've got some cool elements to the design here, but it could definitely use some reworking overall... others have already hinted at all the problems really, but I'll go anyway. I think the main issue is that it's not clear how this critter is meant to walk. The weird distribution of limbs is a cool idea and I'd expand on that if you're going to take this further, but maybe try to think about how it actually works. Also, it's a bit unclear where exactly the middle pair of limbs attach to the chest.

I'd say you did a good job pinning down your original idea here and it has enough cool stuff going on to make it worth taking further, you just need to do some more thinking on the creature's anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That thing is falling over. All the weight is in the back and all the support is way in the front. There's no way it could hold itself up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what would this be a concept for?
    concept art is art with a purpose, if it doesn't have a clear purpose it should be called fine art...I am always a little upset when I see the word "concept" being thrown around to call anything that pops straight out of your head that you think looks cool. I realize it just popped into your head, and you had to get it out, but the fact that you went this far with its rendering and painting, tells me you were happy with it and decided to go ahead for a more finished look.
    Is this something you would like someone to model and animate? Or just testing your painting skills?
    These questions are not my attempt at being mean, but something to think about seriously if you have any desire to pursue this as a career. Concept art starts with crazy ideas that pop out of your head, but these ideas are supposed to be refined and thought over time and time again, before you go to a finish.
    How would this thing move? How would it look when it's moving? Why not try a three quarter view to clarify some of the confusion created by the ambiguous perspective you picked, which almost looks like an orthographic side view.
    Technically the execution is fine, the light and modeling are giving me some of the information that is missing from the lack of perspective. I suggest in the future the addition of at least a suggestion of a background and ground plane, instead of flat color.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing, although like some other people already mentioned its kind of hard to imagine it actually getting from one point to another. Other than that, excellent job.

Members who have read this thread: 1