Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Michael's Sketches and Studies

Ellingsworth Guest

Michael's Sketches and Studies

Michael's sketch book.

Hey everyone, this is my sketchbook, it's of a novice with dreams of one day being a good artist. Feel free to add your critique and advice, I can take it! I will try to update everyday, if you're kind enough to leave me a comment and some advice I will gladly return the favor. Thanks for stopping by, later!

.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .

I'm going to start this sketchbook off small, this is a quick five/ten minute eye I drew, eww no eyebrow!

Bad shading, wonky line work, yeah I know, but I'm still learning!

Attachment 179670

Reference from a book called, 'Mario Cooper Painting With Watercolor'

Attachment 180293

Quick five minute sketch out of a drawing book from Walter Foster.

Attachment 180299

Another quick eye drawing, this is a copy of a sketch done by the artist Kevin Chen. Roughly seven minutes. I'm going to be copying his sketches from this website: http://characterdesigns.com/index.ph...page=tutorials

Attachment 181657

Quick copy of a Charles Bargue eye I found off Google, I'm going to do all the eyes on it a couple times.

Attachment 181686

Quick sphere warm up, yeah pretty bad.

Attachment 181693

Quick Walter Foster sketch from his book, the book is very old and is still in mint condition, I'm so glad my mom kept it!

Attachment 181824

Okay, I just absolutely butchered this drawing with my horrid charcoal skills, first time ever trying charcoal and it was a blast, just wish it didn't come out so bad.

Attachment 181938
    Last edited by Ellingsworth; September 4th, 2007 at 07:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Ellingsworth Guest
    Terrible drawing I shaded after following steps from a Walter Foster book.

Random inks from this morning, just doodles from my head.

Attachment 182519

Attachment 183907

Attachment 183908

Attachment 183909
    Last edited by Ellingsworth; August 27th, 2007 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks
    Maybe you should do some of these from ref, the eye on the last one has a wierd (i think impossible) pupil placement. The jaw is also looking a little too smooth. Some skull studies would help i think.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Smarty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey man! good to see an sb up. The only suggestion I have is that your value studies seem to have no specific light source, and that can be a bad habit to pick up. Just make sure you watch out for that, maybe draw a bit more from reference as smart said, and good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChaoticKnight For This Useful Post:

Ellingsworth Guest
    smartkyle: Thanks for the reply, I left you a comment in your thread, dude.

ChaoticKnight: Thanks for the advice, man!

Here are some random Kevin Chen sketch copies, they have been helping me a lot, he really knows how to make stuff easy to understand, plus his sketches are damn AWESOME. I'll update with more garbage tonight.

Attachment 186890
    Last edited by Ellingsworth; August 27th, 2007 at 10:54 AM.

Thanks
    Yeah, using the drawing books is good, but don't forget photos and real life.
    Remember all of these artists schemes, techniques and theories were so they could draw more realistically - eg: real life.

The studies and pics from reference are decent, just keep at it and have FUN.
    my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , for more images and to kill time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SEVANS For This Useful Post:

Ellingsworth Guest
    SEVANS: Thanks a bunch, dude for the reply, the help from everyone has been great. I have a small rhino figurine I have been wanting to draw so I will get on that along with more reference and life drawings but for now, I have some more Kevin Chen sketch drawings I did this morning for warm up and just fun.

I'll get on the life drawings and reference stuff soon, I just have to find some cool fashion magazines.

Attachment 187282

Attachment 187411

Attachment 187449

Attachment 188559

Attachment 188561

Attachment 188832

Attachment 190453
    Last edited by Ellingsworth; August 27th, 2007 at 10:52 AM.

Thanks

Thanks man!

I checked out your drawings man looks like your really studying anatomy.The couple that were not are pretty cool.And thanks for the help you gave me tonight.I hope you can see the drawings now another member has commented on them.Im off to bed goodnight.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to doboy1 For This Useful Post:

Ellingsworth Guest
    doboy1: Thanks, dude.

Hey guys, more stuff. I have been painting for the past five hours just messing around having fun and working on this face, my liver is about to fail, NEED OXYGEN... It's a shame it turned out so bad. The arm drawing is my left arm I doodled while watching TV, it was just quick, about six minutes. As soon as school starts I'll start churning out tons of stuff, as for now I'm just relaxing and enjoying the last bit of my summer before it goes away.

Attachment 191162

Here's a crazy doodle, I started drawing a sketch from Kevin Chen then I turned it into some weird piece of crap, with a broken back.

Attachment 191177

Here's a drawing I copied from Henry Yan's website, it's copyrighted to him, I only did it for practice. I think I might buy his book soon, it looks quite amazing.

Attachment 192247

Attachment 192334

Attachment 191161
    Last edited by Ellingsworth; August 27th, 2007 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks
    I love the last one. The shading on the ball and....I'm not sure what is it....under it is lovely. But especially I like the things at the top. You've got some good ideas.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliwerko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    try to avoid posting links..my computer isnt the best and with the loading problems occuring regularly on CA its just not possible for me to look at all those links..if you cant attacth them use a web host.

now arty stuff--

some good studies there, just on some of them be carefull with your lines some are a bit hectic and crazy so are a smidge unclear, but your rendering looks good and clear maybe when you upload them though run them through photoshop and ajust the contrast settings or create a duplicate layer as "multiply" it will make your pencil stuff more clear.

--sofa
    Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to life on the sofa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This pic is really cool! On some of your studies from kchen you drew head's too narrow in profile. Head's width and height is almost the same in profile, watch out!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to h2rra For This Useful Post:

Ellingsworth Guest
    Oliwerko: Thanks so much for stopping by my sketchbook, dude. Those were just quick sketches while watching Mythbusters, I love that show.

life on the sofa: Thanks, man. I sent you that PM and dropped by your sketchbook, I'll try to work on what you said.

h2rra: Glad you liked it! I just sketched those heads real quick out of my head. I thank you for the critique, I have to watch out for that, from now on.

Here is a Charles Bargue drawing I tried to copy, first off I did it in pencil, IT CAME OUT BAD! Then I tried to shade it and that went terrible, so I just outlined it with a charcoal pencil and tonight I'll shade the rest in, hopefully.

Waiting for my Henry Yan book to come in! I just talked to him over Hotmail and he wished me good luck with my studies and I had asked him to sign my book, YAY!

Attachment 193332

This is a still life I tried to do in Acrylics, it came out horrible and I SUCK! It is a bottle of pills, sorry for the black and white my scanner wouldn't scan it in color.

Attachment 193333

Here's the quick sketch of the pills that I did before I painted it.

Attachment 193336

UPDATE: Here's the final, I'm doing this OVER tomorrow because something clicked in my head and I realized how I should have NEVER drawn the outline for the shadows in the face!

Attachment 193348

EDIT: I fixed up some things made it look a lot better, it may not look like I spent a lot of time on this but I did, I'm just a bad drawer. Getting better, though, hopefully someday I'll be good, one can only dream.

Attachment 193992
    Last edited by Ellingsworth; August 29th, 2007 at 05:59 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast