Beginner Level Art: Critique?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Okay, I'll admit this up front. I tend to draw anime-styled things. There. I admit it. Everyone else in this forum is soooo much more talented than I am (but then, I'm young) at EVERYTHING, but I want to improve...

I plan to become an illustrator/concept artist in the future... but everyone tells me I'm not good enough at it... they tell me it's impossible for me to succeed as in illustrator and that I should give up. These people telling me this are my art teachers... digital art teacher, specifically. I feel depressed, but maybe if I improve my art, I'll have a chance at it.

Sadly, I don't own a scanner and, thus, cannot show you pictures of my... non-anime art. So all I've got are these.

Please advise/critic me! I especially appreciate comments on digital coloring/painting, which is what I'm trying hone right now. Thanks! *awaits long critiques*::

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The loose, flowey line quality of the sketched faces in the second one is realy nice. You need to work on not losing that as you tighten up and develop your images, because everything else is really stiff and scratchy.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    The loose, flowey line quality of the sketched faces in the second one is realy nice. You need to work on not losing that as you tighten up and develop your images, because everything else is really stiff and scratchy.
    Mm, so you're saying I should work on my lines/line variety?

My sketchiness is probably my greatest weakness... though I appreciate the comment about the flowiness of the faces.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the coloring in the first and third ones. Not so sure about the second, the palette you've used is really dull and muddy.

Main problems I can spot otherwise are with anatomy. The first one, for instance- his torso looks way too narrow, and his right shoulder too large. We shouldn't be able to see that much of it. It doesn't look like you've applied stuff like bridgeman boxes, so look those up and practice posture a bit- the chest should angle back a little and not be so straight. I cant quite put my finger on what I dont like about his lower body- it just seems like he's got nothing under that skirt, like it's hanging flat. His finger look like part of the glass- they have no volume.

The second character doesn't appear to have any breasts- I'm not sure whether that's intentional or whether it's a perspective problem, but just thought I'd mention it. Her feet are definitely angled wrong, and you havent given them any of the TLC you gave the rest. Just two big blue blotches.

For the third one I'll bring up bridgeman boxes again. He's too straight, and something about his neck looks off.

All in all it's solid work, and nothing like what I was expecting from what you said about all the discouragement you're getting. Just practice more, and keep posting here- best place I've seen for constructive criticism on the interwebs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chagan View Post
    I like the coloring in the first and third ones. Not so sure about the second, the palette you've used is really dull and muddy.

Main problems I can spot otherwise are with anatomy. The first one, for instance- his torso looks way too narrow, and his right shoulder too large. We shouldn't be able to see that much of it. It doesn't look like you've applied stuff like bridgeman boxes, so look those up and practice posture a bit- the chest should angle back a little and not be so straight. I cant quite put my finger on what I dont like about his lower body- it just seems like he's got nothing under that skirt, like it's hanging flat. His finger look like part of the glass- they have no volume.

The second character doesn't appear to have any breasts- I'm not sure whether that's intentional or whether it's a perspective problem, but just thought I'd mention it. Her feet are definitely angled wrong, and you havent given them any of the TLC you gave the rest. Just two big blue blotches.

For the third one I'll bring up bridgeman boxes again. He's too straight, and something about his neck looks off.

All in all it's solid work, and nothing like what I was expecting from what you said about all the discouragement you're getting. Just practice more, and keep posting here- best place I've seen for constructive criticism on the interwebs.
    XD Thanks. Anatomy on the chest has always been my weakest obvious anatomical error... I don't like using outlines, though. But I'll keep in mind the chest-outward thing--I've gotten that comment several times.

The girl in the second picture is supposed to be young, so I didn't give her completely developed breasts... thus, the smalleness.

But I appreciate the comments. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like especially the third pic with the guy. Reason: the atmosphere in combination with the man's expression. Only problem is his head - the way it's drawn, seems without depth, seems a little flat and its features seem to sharp (but for a comic the features would be fine) and perhaps the biggest problem - the connection of the neck and the head. Neck's angle doesn't seem correct given the head's direction.

well, you might try and check this site: www.human-anatomy-for-artist.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teachers that talk like this and demotivate young people aren't teachers ...
    Ignore that kind of talk and just believe in yourself ... and keep practising ...

"Talent" is nice to have but in the end it all comes down to practise, practise and practise ... even talented people that don't practise alot won't get anywhere ...

I like your drawings and the colours you used ... Of course they aren't perfect but hey what is ... ?

Get pencils & paper, start drawing ... and your skills will grow ... be dedicated and you will become a great illustrator one day ...

Sedas

"Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking the rules, making mistakes and having fun."

My Sketch Book
    My Art site

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.