Stunning self portrait needs biting critique

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stunning self portrait needs biting critique

Hi there everyone. I'm a total newbie to these forums, I've been looking around for some time for a place to post my stuff, since I feel that in other forums I just get a "Huh, that looks good" response.

I'm currently doing some heavy studying into all parts of drawing, taking up painting and trying to get a dabble on into digital painting. I'm still learning the basics of this and I'm a long way aways from creating something with a really personal touch, but I'd still like to see if some of the really great artists around here have some takes on my stuff.

Maybe it's a bit presumptuous for me to request crits before even giving much input, but I'm excited to get feedback so I hope you can oversee that fact.

Thanks!

1. I did done me a self portrait, scanned pencils, colours Photoshop & Mouse
    2. A dragon, scanned pencils, colours Photoshop & Mouse mostly with a tiny bit of Wacom

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; August 2nd, 2007 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Uploaded images, the right way. :)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,189 Times in 1,722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I totally dig the energy in these. I'll post a crit some other time.

Welcome.

kev

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The one obvious crit I see on the face, is if you're screaming in anger (which is what I assume he is doing) your eyebrows will crinkle up, do the angry scream pose in the mirror to see what I mean. Otherwise though, I really like your style, and your sense of motion. The first pic's hair is really interestingly rendered. I think maybe using cool colors instead of black for shading would improve the face, but maybe you wanted him to look dirty (he looks dirty to me right now.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Erik, you're totally right about the eyebrows, since it looks really angry. But it's actually made from reference of a photo of me at a wedding reception... So I was actually quite happy at the time.

When I made the drawing I did want it to look powerful but never considered really making it look angry, I was just trying to stay true to the photo. Sometimes using a reference can confuse you more than it helps...

Using cool colours for shading. Sounds crazy to me, I'll have to try that out later...

Thanks!

Last edited by Whyatt Thrash; August 3rd, 2007 at 04:04 PM.
    - Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, your hair is exactly how I wish mine would look... but God has cursed me with curly hobbit hair . Anyway, I get the emotion more now, but its still sort of ambiguous to me. The fact is, to me anyway, you look like you're about to behead someone with a battle axe, in the real life picture too. Not that the facial expression is wrong, just that I think people will assume you've painted an angry faced portrait. Sorry I don't really know how to make it look happy, you just look mad in that pic lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    flip your SP horizontal, then try and correct some more visible flaws.

Sorry, I'm tired and my PS won't open for some reason, otherwise I'd be more helpful. Pointing out errors with only text is no only dreary for you and I, but it's also harder to convey things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikTheRed View Post
    Dude, your hair is exactly how I wish mine would look... but God has cursed me with curly hobbit hair . Anyway, I get the emotion more now, but its still sort of ambiguous to me. The fact is, to me anyway, you look like you're about to behead someone with a battle axe, in the real life picture too. Not that the facial expression is wrong, just that I think people will assume you've painted an angry faced portrait. Sorry I don't really know how to make it look happy, you just look mad in that pic lol.
    Just building off this, maybe raising the eyebrows would help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice sense of motion yuo got there!

If you are going for a realistic approach, avoid keeping the pencil lines for they make for a more cartoony/comic-like result.
    I'd paint over them if I were you, but that's just my personal taste.

Your color pallette looks a bit dull to me too. There's no reason for you to stick with the reference's brown pallette. Try using some cool colors to liven the picture up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits guys, I'll try to fix that liven it up a bit. The colour palette was a problem for me, I just didn't know what to do. Cool colours it is.

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And hell, as long as we're on the subject, most people have a very subtle (some not so subtle) hint of red/pink around the tip of the nose and the cheeks. This usually livens things up a bit too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd add a bit of shadow under the eyebrow ridge. I think it might also be better to have the eyes looking in the direction the head is turned, so that he is looking at what he is shouting at. I also think there should be slightly more hair on the one left side, and the top of the head should be slightly higher up.

I also wonder if it might not be a nice idea to zoom out a bit, and add a bit of background/context, to find out if he's giving a war cry or shouting for his missing dog, or whatever.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.