Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Centipedes

Thanks

Centipedes

I saw one in my kitchen sink the other day and i nearly died. they're the ugliest creatures i've ever seen. it's even worse that they run so fast!

-------------
    Centipedes

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Centipedes
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    They are very awesome creatures, not that I would wanna get near one.
    Look em' up on Youtube for loads of sweet centipede action.

Thanks
    I watched a nature documentary once, and this huge centipede was crawling along roof of a cave. It was nighttime, so bats begin to fly out to go hunting, and this centipede dangles down and snatches a bat out of thin air.

Singular bugs should totally not hunt and eat mammals, that's just too weird
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    I found one in my bathroom on the wall the other week, it wasn't very old and it was still kind of transparent. Freaky looking things. Mother nature was the original concept artist, only she could dream up some of the freakier creatures on the planet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fukifino View Post
    Centipedes
    Seriously...what the FUCK is this about?

Oh, and about Centipedes, I once cut one in half and threw it into my guest room toilet...the fucking thing survived for like 3 days underwater. BOTH ends.

Thanks
    I rarely see centipedes where I live, and even then they're only short-ish ones, but they still scare me. Especially when one of the little creeps is locomoting its way across the kitchen floor and I almost step on it. The sight of all those wiggling legs just makes me shudder.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    Oh, and about Centipedes, I once cut one in half and threw it into my guest room toilet...the fucking thing survived for like 3 days underwater. BOTH ends.
    The very thought of that is going to haunt me now.

Thanks
    Centipedes
    SSG 37

Thanks
    I think theyer pretty amazing actually, how they walk espescially. If you notice all their legs will hit the same one point on either side in a zig-zagging line (like millipedes aswell).

Thanks
    i never understood the concept of being afraid of something thats 1/100th your size??? i dont get it..

just dont let them bite ya - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nam View Post
    Centipedes
    If I'm not mistaken, those kinds of centipedes eat cockroaches (as well as other pests) and are pretty harmless to humans.

Educate yourselves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_centipede

Thanks
    Yeah, I clearly remember my first encounter with a "House centipede." My roommate and I were sitting on our couch, drinking some beers and watching TV. It was a normal day after we had finished classes. Suddenly out of one of the corners of the room this thing runs out into the middle of the ceiling, right above us. Niether one of us were freaked out by bugs, and infact I quite like most of them, however this thing was different. We were both like "WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT!" The distress was caused by the fact that I really didn't know what it was, as I had never seen one, and that it has so many, long legs that go all the way around its body, and antenna on both ends that it was impossible to tell which end was its head and which was its ass! It moved back and forth in short little patterns that further confounded the problem of which end was the biting one. After a minute or so the thing took off like a rocket and went into my roommates room, never to be seen again. From then on it was known as the WTF Bug.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Here's the kind we have where I live. They can get up to around 10 inches, and are poisonous. This is a picture of one on an apple next to my porch.
    Attachment 179201

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jfwalls View Post
    Here's the kind we have where I live. They can get up to around 10 inches, and are poisonous. This is a picture of one on an apple next to my porch.
    Attachment 179201
    Northern ontario doesn't look so bad all of a sudden when you consider the lack of roaches, poisonous snakes, large centipedes and other cold-shunning pests...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gory View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, those kinds of centipedes eat cockroaches (as well as other pests) and are pretty harmless to humans.

Educate yourselves: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_centipede
    So you're alright with one crawling on your face while you sleep? Cool.
    SSG 37

Thanks
    to be honest, id rather have it crawl on my face than into my underpants.. - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    House centipedes turn up around here quite often. God, they are creepy, they're about the size of your pinky finger too, and they're wide and wiggly and turn up everywhere and sure they eat pests but the bite and and and and

I am not fond of centipedes.
    >>>CLICK HERE AND CLAIM YOUR FREE* IPOD<<<

*there is no ipod, actually. sorry

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 655 Posts
    Even though House Centipedes are beneficial, I think they look a lot more creepy than other centipedes.
    The only time I saw one these things was when I was a kid, sitting in the classroom, and I looked out the window to see a humongous one of these things on a cement pillar. *shudder*

Thanks
    One thing I hate is fucking cockroaches (and just why in hell are they called COCK roaches? I don't wanna know)

I was out painting the lions at NYC library real early in the morning, like 8 or something, and out of the corner of my eye, I just see these huge 3-4 inch roaches running like the wind all over the place. I promptly tucked my jeans in my socks and lifted my feet onto a chair. ( yes Id rather look like a pratt with my jeans in my socks than ripping them of whilst screaming like a maniac because one of those fuckers decides it wants to explore the inside of my pantsleg)

Ever so often they would leap out of a crack somewhere and whiz past. Nearly pissed my pants. Out of sheer shock i also knocked over my venti coffee. Then when i got back i see a huge one in my doorway to my building. I promptly dropped a handy Manhattan phone book on it.
    Bastards try and come in to my building?!

STUPID BUG! YOU GO SQUISH NOW!!

By the way, same day a bum that looked like he'd done way to many drugs and slept in way too many doorways tried to convince me to come to Savannah college of art because they where "giving away scholarships even if you just turn up with a sketchbook"
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG. View Post
    i never understood the concept of being afraid of something thats 1/100th your size??? i dont get it..

just dont let them bite ya - JAG
    Its not that they're small thats scary...its the fact that they can crawl up your arse and eat your heart while you're sleeping.

- m

Thanks
    Btw...anyone tuck their legs onto the chair after reading this thread? I aint gonna leave my feet on the ground to get bitten...no siree.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    Btw...anyone tuck their legs onto the chair after reading this thread? I aint gonna leave my feet on the ground to get bitten...no siree.
    Somehow you just reminded me it's about time the earwigs started showing up around here... nice n moist... creepiest this is they used to be in the bathroom all the time because of the moisture. Try showering or taking a shit in peace knowing that they could be anywhere...

Centipedes

Thanks
    your lucky it was a cenetpede i just killed a brown reclues in my kitchen 30 minutes ago. And i live florida we 3 species is this highly poisones spider.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    I used to hate cenipedes, but a couple weeks ago I saw one crawl by with an earwig in it's...whatever the hell it uses to carry stuff. As much as they creep me out, as long as they keep killing earwigs I'm fine with em.'

I hate hornets, wasps, and yellowjackets. Those damn things are mean, and surprisingly hard to kill, like they are made out of rubber or something. I got one by the pool this morning, I had to hold it down with a skimmer and bash it with a hammer to kill it. The hammer was probably overkill but those things aren't like Bumble bees, they can sting you as many times as they want.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by timpaatkins View Post
    One thing I hate is fucking cockroaches (and just why in hell are they called COCK roaches? I don't wanna know)
    Down here we have palmetto bugs. They'te like GIGANTIC cockroaches that FLY AROUND! They freak me out so much.

Also, once while I was travelling in the countryside in Mexico I slept in this house with a thatch roof and stick walls. I slept in a hammock slung between the rafters and at night trantulas and sometimes these ugly gigantic black scorpions would drop down out of the thatch roof and onto me! It really freaked me out the first night when I woke up to find tarantulas crawing all over me! I thrashed around and crushed a few between my legs which only added to my horror. After that I took to wrapping myself up in the hammock like a cocoon so that the bugs could crawl around on the outside of the mesh instead of on my skin. I eventually got used to the trantulas, but the scorpions never stopped freaking me out. They were gigantic and black and menacing and I still have nightmares about them crawling all over me in the middle of the night.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    Somehow you just reminded me it's about time the earwigs started showing up around here... nice n moist... creepiest this is they used to be in the bathroom all the time because of the moisture. Try showering or taking a shit in peace knowing that they could be anywhere...

Centipedes
    I heard that those things can actually eat through your skin, they can burrow into your body and using those pincers on the back, they can tap into your thought process and control your movements.

- m

Thanks
    Centipedes
    SSG 37

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nam View Post
    Centipedes
    that will give me nightmares, f'sho.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Thats the equivalent of the robber hiding behind the sofa with his ass sticking out.

"What, who me? No, none her... just the clock.... whistle whistle"

ANd here is a happy fact i saw on National geographic: during our lifetime we will swallow on average 14 spiders. So Noshadowmaster, keep your mouth taped up! You dont want this in your throat or eat or any other crevace!

WARNING!!! Gross image below!!

Attachment 179708
    Last edited by timpaatkins; August 3rd, 2007 at 05:50 AM.
    [url=http://galleryonefone.blogspot.com[/url] This would be my gallery in Sweden

This would be my Pleine Air blog

Thanks
    I heard that those things can actually eat through your skin, they can burrow into your body and using those pincers on the back, they can tap into your thought process and control your movements.
    That just remembered me about this fungi. It grows in insects and takes over part of their brainfunctions so that the bug keeps being alive while its being consumed from inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUa7BUAjObU
    "Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.