C.O.W. - #094: Singing Death - Page 2

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gatling - Cow94 - Singing Death

Work in progress.
    Edit: Added general mood direction. Wow, lots of bird entries hehe.
    Edit 2: See page 3 for final version!

C.O.W. - #094: Singing Death

Last edited by gatling; August 7th, 2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Update picture

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

singing Death

hie all, the concept behind this sketch is that this bird has a special noise, when she sings a deadly frequency emitts and kill all the living organism with in the parameter, and bad thing is she cant fly high coz of her short wings..

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    longshao
    Just watch to get the whole or major part of the body on the canvas...looks too much cropped for now...but could be a centipede/snake like creature, then i wouldn't mind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nothing singing death related, but i stumbled upon this video and everyone who loves creatures will love this too

...a racoon stealing a rug:

http://www.guzer.com/videos/racoon_steals_rug.php

We need to have movies like that for your entries

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    posted an update back on page 1... although having trouble seeing the "page one" on most of the forums.... ah well... ty all for your crits/kind words. busy next couple days coming up... good luck to everyone and their entries.

Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possiblity of cheating. it is either good or bad. ~ Dali

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to go with the sings-its-own-death route instead of a predator or an omen. Apologies for the continuous theme of sexual selection in my entries, I can't help it!

WIP

UPDATED WIP incase I don't get time to finish it

The species lives in rainforest habitats and the male sings and displays to call as many females as possible using the complex system of nasal passages and air sacs. He does this for days or up to a week depending on his stamina and due to the severe energy expenditure, dies soon after mating with as many females as he can.

Last edited by Sovereign; August 8th, 2007 at 06:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its coming along

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres what i have got so far.

the Gorgump creature is a rather odd incarnation. It lives between 3 and 5 years, and before it dies, it is filled with an immense sadness. it then begins to sing, and sings so beautifully that any animal that hears, immediately comes to its side to listen. After the creature finishes its song it promptly dies. To add even more woe to this sad tale, the creature dies by a massive explosion which usually kills any animals that have come to listen to its song.

Edit:still looking for a photo hosting site.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pheasanteater, I hate to tell you this but youre gonna have to start over or at least do a serious overhaul of your design. Look in the CoW rules. It cant resemble a human at all and your creature looks very much like a mutant person with multiple mouths. It wont make it to poll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    right on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Pascal Toad
    This huge deciduous dwelling toad uses ultra sound to detect its prey. It can emite tones as high as 100,000,000 Db. When it finds its prey it sends out the apropriate tone to stun the prey and then devoure it. Some more rouge pascal toads use this ability to its limit and obliterate anything they see as a threat by sending out just enough Decibels to make the it burst in a bloody explosion. Surviving a encounter with this creature is rare. But the few survivors who have say that it was amasing. Why is almost dieing amasing you ask? Well they say that each individual has a diffrent tone that will make them explode (Bursting Tone) and this tone is said to be the most relaxing and peacful sound known to earth. Some mistake the frogs tone for the song of an angel.

Last edited by Kasen Kato; August 6th, 2007 at 12:02 AM.
    Art can explain whatever the mind of man himself can conceive.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Organhead Dragon

Last edited by aberrant85; August 4th, 2007 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Final post

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick question:
    Thursday is the 9th, not the 10th. Do you want this on thursday the 9th, or friday the 10th?

Ideas, which are being sketched, which will then hopefully be developed and eventually finished:

The Steampunk Toad- the pipe organ fish slapped me in the face and let out the inner steampunk kid I have locked inside of me, who in turn ran screaming down the halls of my mind flinging gears and cogs and grease. From this tantrum of all things steampunk, came the idea for a toad or frog, probably toad, which has been altered by some mad scientist to play music when it croaks. It would be accompanied by the glass armonica. However, due to the process of grafting the brass bits onto the froggie bits, which requires large amounts of Egyptian embalming fluid, formaldehyde, and luck, the air that is pushed through the pipes/flutes/horns is actually toxic. A great many parties were ruined by the untimely demise of the guests sitting closest to the toads. By some whim of an angry and possibly tone-deaf deity, the toads are still able to breed, and have infested the sewers of London.

The Cicada-like bug - This is more the generic type entry; a cicada/locust-esque insect, which by some odd quirk moves through space to infest host planets and wreaks havoc on plant life, but sounds so pretty while doing so. Entire planets have succumbed to deforestation and eventually the collapse of global ecology, while snapping its fingers to the catchy tune of this intergalactic pest.

Personally, I think I prefer the Toad, though if the Pipe-Organ Fish is done, I'll do the Cicada-thingie out of respect for the idea. I don't want to step on any toes -- the idea of a pipe-organ/music-box animal just struck a chord.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going the whole Siren route, but taking a different twist. There are so many similarities between this and a http://www.tyranx.com/concepts/cow75c.jpg which were purely unintentional...but some of it is quite glaring, so I understand if you wont accept it Foz Boz.

W.I.P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ill play
    the spider known as sining death or the harp spider uses its silk webbing and its rear legs to emulate the sounds of crickets and other bugs in order to lure them into a close enough distance to pounce them.

not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,891 Times in 428 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, sorry I missed the last one. Wanted to do some blood and guts.
    Final
    Underwater quota filled..
    When the planet we live on was young, a race of beings from a distant galaxy whose sole purpose was to test and sustain life on suitable worlds, planted the seeds of what would eventually evolve into the dinosaurs.
    While the dinosaurs(as we call them) maintained a healthy existence for millions upon millions of years, these beings from another place grew bored with this evolutionary dead end and decided to start anew. But there was one species which they had not counted on emerging from their primordial soup called the Mammals. And while their plot to end the reign of their precious gruloskus (or dinosaurs) proved to be effective, it was not effective enough to erase our planet of all life. Thus, the mammals took control of the earth.
    These beings, who we'll call the Instigators for now, decided to let their unexpected result run amok on the planet and see what would happen.
    This proved to be their fatal mistake.
    While the rise of human beings has proven to be the most devastating and infestuous of all outcomes in the Instigators experiments, the true threat has slowly but surely come from the sea, after the mammals through the course of evolution reclaimed it as their own. And I'm not talking about man here. From Killer whales to the Infamous Blue Whale, no other creatures on earth have proven to be more intelligent or worthy of the Instigators respect and outright cause of fear, than the mammals of the seas.
    To the instigators, we(humans)are merely a nuisance. A polluter of the precious water that occupies two thirds of the planet. A mere fly on the wall. But in no way such a threat as those who are about to reach the plane that the Instigators themselves occupy.
    So, as the asteroid was the solution to the dinosaurs, what we see here is the solution and the first step in the elimination of the front line of resistance to the creators of life on this planet. This is the Mlesk.
    Designed and specially bred over thousands of years to attract and destroy the water borne mammals of earth, the Mlesk has two valves on the top of it's head that when water is drawn through quickly, and particular muscles contracted to attract certain prey, will mimic the sounds of whale, dolphin and even seal and manatee songs in the vast oceans. Songs so endearing and irresistible to the victim, that they are almost in a trance when they arrive at what will become their final resting place. In the year of 1995, after recognizing the severe potential of the mammals of the oceans(the real reason the Instigators stopped by in the first place), the Instigators dropped six Mlesk eggs into the oceans of earth, confident in their ability to undo the wrongdoings of evolution. This is merely a glimpse of an adolescent. Happy swimming.

Last edited by scorge; August 8th, 2007 at 02:05 AM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Difficult, I will see what i can conjure up.

-----0-00-

For mine i decided to use an existing weapon that some of the electric eals use, but give the ability to an Octipus and to utilise its limbs appropriately. The massive muscles in its beat-fin generates a massive sound-wave through the water, paralyzing its prey in its wake. The massive tentivle can also produce sounds to lure unsuspected fishlings to thier deaths with practiced verses. It has many eyes for if some are partially blinded by its massive beats, it can still see from afew remaining working eyes. It has two tenticles like crab claws, these are used to grasp the paralysed prey and drag what ever size the being is into the maws of the Octibeat. The four remaining tenticles are used to wip up sand if the creature is in danger from other larger creatures of the deep. The creature mouth is mounted from undernieth it, but extends all the way above its head and has a similar shaped nozzle to one of a sharks; this is has a secondary use to scare away hunters that would otherwise avoid sharks.

Last edited by Fl3wk; August 4th, 2007 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vespertine
    thanx for the hint...the deadline is THURSDAY, 09th...i fixed it

Goog
    No prob

jadefoodog
    Your creature must sing literally....so making sounds with legs or arms is not allowed. And if you are already heading to a new approach try to work on a more unique design...your creature is an oridnary spider

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now I'm inspired!
    Many good entries, but here's my WIP for now.
    -----

Necrophonic Cobras! The ideal pet for everyone! These exotic 3-eyed snakes are not only pretty, but will also kill the vermins in your house! That's right, this pretty little critter breathes through complex pipes. They attack by blowing in their target direction. While this melody will only sound like a delightful mix between violins and didgeridoos to untrained ears, this sound really is a vibration that will blow up any small creature's internal ear or brain! No more mice, mosquitoes, spiders, rats, flies, nothing! As soon as it kills them, the cobra will swallow them whole, and will require little food from you! And most important, since it gets naturally all the food it wants, it is a pretty pacific and safe creature. The Necrophonic Cobra truly is your ideal next pet.
    WARNING: Never let small children, pregnant women or pets weighing less than 10 kilos at less than 3 meters of a Necrophonic Cobra. Do not let this pet near glass items, especially old ones. While mostly deaf, it is not safe to let 2 Cobras in the same room. Do not put the Cobra in water. Do not blow into Cobra pipes. Do not let insects crawl into the pipes. Do not approach a singing Cobra. Do not wash the insides of the pipes with tootbrushes. In case of escape of this pet, call the police as well as our hotline at this number: 09.....

-Ad from a newspaper. The Necrophonic Cobra sale was obviously cancelled due to huge safety issues. It is now a protected species. It can't be hunted, bred, sold or caught anymore.

It's who you want me to be... or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updated with an image

Scorge: Sweet blending man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My first COW entry (WIP), worked up from head sketch I did this morning. Need to stop pissing about with the environment and get on with rendering the creature:

The aduro nex [I](singer of death) is an evolutionary descendant of a species of amphibian that lived up until the quarternary period and which was known to the ancients as the "frog". This warm-blooded predator is able to mimic the mating calls of it's prey by inflating large fleshy sacs in its throat and back and forcing the air out through the larynx and through bony pipes that are modifications of the vertebral spines. The aduro also has a bird-like respiratory system, so that in addition to being able to breath through its skin, the aduro can breath with tube-like lungs, through which air is drawn unidirectionally into air sacs in the body cavity and bones, before being returned to the larynx to be exhaled. This allows for much more efficient gas exchange and makes the aduro a formidable, "metabolically supercharged" predator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow gatling, I love what I see so far!!!!!!!! xD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Fozz~! Got a question. Does it have to sing like a songbird, or is bellowing, croaking, crowing, etc. count as singing? Just want to be on the safe side haha.~

Try always to [ i m p r o v e. ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This will be my first entry.

Very excited.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank god for the thursday deadline, mine has been slipping deeper and deeper into bollockshood as I've tried to sort out the shoulder and add colour and re-light the animal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was blanking out...then I saw someone took the snake idea. and I thought, why not the only singing insect? It really does sing...through it's thorax. Somehow.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(Work is Extra BORING this morning....)

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chuck mate - I hate you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by lewicron View Post
    Chuck mate - I hate you.
    yeah, I`m with ya on that...

We all pay for life with death, so everything in between should be free.
    -Bill Hicks

Sketchbook Old SketchBook Portfolio GorillaArtFare

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

singing death

hie all, another option of the same concept..

Last edited by riza; August 5th, 2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: update

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.