C.O.W. - #093: Guts Harvester - Voting!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav entry regarding the topic!

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Lege1

1 1.16%
  • Michael Jaecks

9 10.47%
  • longshao

11 12.79%
  • Chuck,mate.

5 5.81%
  • Thalion

0 0%
  • Woodlandwalker

5 5.81%
  • Cloister

6 6.98%
  • Hopsy

0 0%
  • timothee

1 1.16%
  • Supervlieg

6 6.98%
  • Mj0lnir

7 8.14%
  • BEAR JR

1 1.16%
  • VegasMike

24 27.91%
  • rubberman

10 11.63%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow C.O.W. - #093: Guts Harvester - Voting!

ROUND #093 VOTING

Topic: The Architect

Deadline for the voting: Tuesday, 31st July 2007

Posting thread (closed):
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=102493

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK - before voting/posting read this!!!

1. Please give c&c or a reason why you voted for the image!

2. Feel free to comment on any or all entries, the artists will appreciate it!

3. No voting for your own entry!!! If a participants votes for his own entry, every member has the right to call him a stupid lame moron in this thread! And i will delete his/her vote anyway...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    artist: Lege1
    concept:

The Guts Harvester is a parasitical type of species that resides in the swamp land areas of Earth. The creature is an Amphibious being meaning that it can dwell in both water, or on land. The head of the creature is leech like and it bears a snorkel like protrusion from it's nose that it uses to suck up guts from the pouch of its stomach where the guts are stored. The Gut Harvesters long neck enables it to bury its entire head inside of its stomach while it feeds on the stored guts. The stomach of the Gut Harvester is sack like and has a both type orphice that sucks the guts in and stores them inside of its pouch which is like a giant sack of shyt. The Gut Harvester has humanoid arms and hands that act as tools for cutting in to its prey and stuffing the entrailments in to its mouth. The arms are also a major part of how the Gut Harvester transports itself. It uses the knife like feelers to dig in to the ground and drag itself forward. The mid torso of the Gut Harvesters body has gills on it as with its tail being a powerful swimming device. The creature typically only comes on land to feed and it tends to always retreat back to the water after establishing its prey. When in the water the Gut Harvester balls up and sinks to the deep, murky, cold bottom of whatever lake it may be residing in and digests its meal as the contents rot in its stomach. MMMMmmm good....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

artist: Michael Jaecks
    concept:
    Bileturdin Gutmunchers
    The Bileturdin Gutmunchers' perverse eating habits begin by capturing and playing with their prey much like a cat plays with a mouse before the kill. The Gutmuncher will corral, poke and prod its victim, forcing it to run back and forth, for up to 30 minutes before feeding. Then, almost without warning, the Gutmuncher picks up its prey and eviscerates it with one quick swipe of its long fingered claws. Quickly, the Gutmuncher consumes the stomach, intestines, and contents and then discards the rest of the carcass. This disgusting display of feeding and waste seems on its surface extraordinarily sadistic, but it is actually motivated by biological need. The Gutmunchers own gastrointestinal tract is weak, lacking many of the enzymes and bacteria needed to break down complex protiens, fats and carbohydrates. Additionally, keeping its meal alive and physically active before feeding increases its prey's metabolism, ensuring the entrails and its contents are something the Gutmuncher can digest.

artist: longshao
    concept:
    Boranus
    The stocky, sluggish Boranuses are scavengers. They have an extremely keen sense of smell, and they can pick up senses of death or near death from miles away. Boranus feeds mainly on already dead animals, as they travel through misty forest lands, looking for carrions. They'll sometimes drive away smaller predators and steal their kills. Boranuses use the giant claws on their forelimbs to quickly dismantle the carcass then swallow the smaller parts whole. Like many other scavengers, they'll eat anything they find, but prefer internal organs. Boranuses dine happily on their favorite item--manure-filled intestines, which most predators shy away from.

artist: Chuck,mate.
    concept:

artist: Thalion
    concept:
    Nekhete Avaros
    These 2 metres long predator lives near the lakes on the dry super continent of the Khaand planet. Water is a place where the food of Nekhete Avaros lives. It is rare amphibian, which skin is extremely poisonous. This is the reason why the creature eats only guts of its victim. Nature gave to this animal very sharp teeth, perfect sight and strong legs which makes it absolutely effective hunter.

artist: Woodlandwalker
    concept:

Another little known scavenger that has turned up recently has been given the nickname the “Guts Harvester”. These little creatures come out after large predators have gone, or preferably if an animal has died recently… then you will see them by the dozens to come out and feed. It would seem that these vicious scissor-jawed vermin are a distant cousin to the chipmunk but with long rat like tail for balance. They have specially designed jaws that are able to slice large amounts of what could only be considered the choicest of innards. Cheek pouches are then used that hold more than three times its own weight in food. The Guts Harvesters then take their prize back to their nests where they create pungent piles for their young, letting the meat rot sufficiently before being consumed.

artist: Cloister
    concept:

While the imperial legion normally refers to this creature as the Orc-Bull, the dark armies themselves have nicknamed it the Guts Harvester. On the battlefield it runs with great speed, removing infantry and cavalry alike, before the hosts of charging orcs. Not seldomly the masters dress this beast in the entrails and guts of its victims. It is said that the smell of such a garb infuriates the Orc-Bull even further.
    The red wart-like growth upon the head can only be found on the males, and is thought to serve as a signal in times of mating, and as a hierarchal symbol amongst the male creatures. No records exist of Guts Harvesters ever sighted outside orc company, but the species is known to be very old.

artist: Hopsy
    concept:

This species specialized for the hunting of the humans. Humans are spread wordwide, easy to kill them, and their guts are rich in nutritives, good food for the Guts Harvester. It is not an alien, the evolution produced it. First appeared in the XXVIII.th century. They are taking a big part in the exterminate of the humanity.

artist: timothee
    concept:

The Guts Harvestor lives in swampland, waiting for a host to prey upon. The creature usually enters the body through any orifice it can crawl through as a larvae. Once inside, it cacoons itself against the intestinal wall of the host. When it becomes mature, it creeps out of it's cacoon and begins feeding on it's victim's guts. A human can usually tell if it has been infected by the creature by a continuous piercing pain felt in the stomach area. Once the creature has gorged itself on guts, it will expell itself through the anus, a most uncomfortable pain to the host. As soon as it is out of the body, the guts harvestor will lay it's eggs(the creature is a hermaphrodite) and go into hibernation for half the year. And then the cylce begins again.

artist: Supervlieg
    concept:
    Scavenging Ratmole - Rattus Rattus Talpa
    This distant cousin of the sloth was known as one of the most ugly creatures in the animal kingdom. It was fiercely prosecuted throughout its existence and it is now believed to be extinct. The Scavenging Ratmole has a hairless head with long neck, enabling him to get to those hard to reach intestens with the greatest of ease. The ratmole is quite large, roughly the size of a big pig.
    Because of its slightly humanoid facial features it was in old times believed to be a failed version of a human. That its haunced way of moving about looked like a person walking on hands and knees strengthened these beliefs. It has caused many nightmares among the superstitious and though it is mostly harmless, it is among the most feared animals.

artist: Mj0lnir
    concept:

This Creature lives in the desert and It raids the village.
    It cuts the body with the tongs and eat the guts.

artist: BEAR JR
    concept:

This corpulent bastard makes not only a meal, but a home, from the entrails it collects. When rations run out, a brief starvation renders it lean enough to go a-huntin once again.

artist: VegasMike
    concept:

This nasty mammal lives entirely on a diet of entrails and intestines. It uses its large tusk like teeth to disembowel its prey and to scoop up the bounty...It's jaws can unhinge to store as much as possible. When its finished harvesting its often returns to a secret location to eat his meal in peace. The Gut Harvester can take down prey but is more often than not, a scavenger.

artist: rubberman
    concept:

This creature attack pregnant organism. And It gets guts, fetus.
    Incubate fetus, in body. The meantime... inject it's self gene.
    This creature propagate This way

Last edited by Fozzybar; August 2nd, 2007 at 07:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not accepted entries:

All WIPs/sketches/not finished yet/placeholder/yaddayaddayadda images...AND (if not mentioned further) all entries which didn't pass the quality check

Gorromog
    Sorry, but the creatures body must be shown fully or at least in a way that people can judge the design/anatomy...

kevin mayle
    You need to work on details and be more accurate with your lines and brush strokes...also think about design and function. Your creature actually is only an ordinary spider...make something unique, think about the concept and your work will improve

close to rejection:

rubberman
    Very cool entry (as your first one)...i nearly decided to reject your piece, since your creature actually rips out the fetus. You wrote that it also takes some guts, but basically the concept is about a fetus ripping creature....but well, your quality won over my objectivity this time

special note:

Supervlieg
    on the fast lane this time eh? Well, but who can resist your gorgeous artwork...i ahd to take it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So...did mine not pass the quality check? I thought it was one of my better pieces...ah well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goog
    You stated in the last line before your image that it is still a WIP...and i compared this entry with your last one and i agree that this one still needs some work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar View Post
    Goog
    You stated in the last line before your image that it is still a WIP...and i compared this entry with your last one and i agree that this one still needs some work
    the one on page 2...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [B]not accepted entries:
    kevin mayle
    You need to work on details and be more accurate with your lines and brush strokes...also think about design and function. Your creature actually is only an ordinary spider...make something unique, think about the concept and your work will improve
    Thanks for the advice. My vote went for Michael Jaecks because I found it to be the most unique and technically sound. It was a hard choice though because there were a lot of really strong entries.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goog
    i know...read the last line you wrote

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Goog
    i know...read the last line you wrote
    ah, forgot to erase that when I uploaded the final...I did say final under it though. Ah well, quality check is a quality check. Sorry to disrupt ya fozz.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no prob...as i said, actually i think your entry before is much better, so take it as a quality bar for your future works...try to make it look better than your new quality bar and you will improve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice entries all around. Some of my favs:
    mjolnir- sweet render and strong design.
    cloister- very creepy and intimidating creature.
    longshao- I love the mood in the piece.
    MJ- really dynamic and original creature.
    vegasmike- I voted for yours cuz the creature design is really nice. It has alot of character, and I just think it looked the most disturbing of all the pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i shouldn't have cropped it that much... anyways, i voted for Woodlandwalker because his fits the description of the guts harvester the best, under my opinion. second would have been Cloisters, and third MJ's.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fozz: Thanks man, you're totally right. This time thing keeps getting the better of me.

After some deliberation I voted Longshao.

Lege1: the picture is a bit hard to read. The saturated colors are fighting to much for attention. Try putting those colors in one area to focus the eye of the viewer. Keep the rest less saturated and your picture will be more balanced.

Michael Jaecks: I love those outlandish designs you come up with, but somehow this anatomy isnt convincing to me. I really like the arms on the head. Only you could come up with putting them there and you really make them work. The big legs look a bit stuck on compared to those. Also I think if the feet were pointing forward they would seem a bit more functional, like they meant to keep the creature upright. The muscles connecting them to the main body are hard to read as well, making the chest and belly area a bit flat. Try being a bit more bold when adding those dark shadows, you can really use them to bring out the round shapes. Starting in black and white to get your values right is a good help, dont let if fool you though. Its good to also keep training with values while working in colors. I struggle with it myself, but its really satisfying when you feel yourself improving.

longshao : Nice one, really like the design and pose. The front paw-thingies look a bit weird though compared to the rest of the body.

Chuck,mate. : Nice quickie. I liked the version right before the final pic, with a bit of the green showing through. This is a bit too monochrome for me.

Thalion: Very nicely detailed, but upon close inspection it looks a bit flat. Try adding larger and darker shadow areas. Also try adding those highlight more strategicly, especially for reptile like skin.

Woodlandwalker: Nice concept, also good cartoony style. I felt a bit more realistic approach would make it more gritty, dirty. The shapes of the bodies are bit hard to read because of the hard coloring. I intially thought there were two mice behind eachother, a white one in front, and a brown one behind it. If they shared a big shadow area, they would deem more like one whole.

Cloister : Really love the front of this creature. Compared to that, the rest of the body seems a bit underdeveloped. It also looks like the creature would fall to one side. The hind legs dont seem to be carrying any weight. Considering the design, if the orc-bull would turn its head downward, it would stab itself to death.

Hopsy : I like the overall watercolor style. The creature could be a bit more of a centerpiece, most of the attention is drawn to the guy, who obviously is in a lot of pain. A bit more color in the creature, or maybe a different viewpoint would shift the focus imo.

timothee: Nice overall design, reminds me a bit of the alien chestburster. Maybe the design could have been taken a bit further. If you used the dodge tool, try painting in the colors yourself next time. It will give you a better feel for putting the right colors in the right place.

Mj0lnir: Sorry mate, pic doesnt turn up here.

BEAR JR: Funny picture, somehow it looks too cute to be a bastard if you ask me. It could use some more definition and sharpness in places, but overall pretty solid entry. Could be right in a childrens story book, if it wasnt for the disturbing theme.

VegasMike: Very dynamic and nice style. Overall a bit too cartoony in its shapes for my taste. Its has a very good WoW style to it though. It's a bit hard to read the shape of the head, is it pointy or more flat in front?

rubberman: Pic doesnt turn up here, but I saw it earlier. I really like the tail. the bodies in the sac looked a bit flat compared to the rest of the creature from what I remember.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cloister's got my vote. Love the way you worked those lights and darks, and my favorite concept of the bunch. Close behind are MJ (delightfully creepy), MjOlnir (great creature, wonderful texture), and VegasMike (all-around awesome rendering, esp w/ the guts, and the beast is one of the best).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Had to vote Supervlieg. Just love that urine world from whence it came...he he.. Simple base, but a great character. The framework/presentation looks fantastic.

I also like longshaos beast a lot, and the head in particular... perhaps a bit unorthodox to place its foot "on" the lower canvas-edge, and the single tree-comp. But the colours are great overall, and the sloth looks adorable in death. Very meticulous/good render.

MJ: You're in there as well... rocking the cow-forum with your unique imagination. Very lovely neck on this one.

Mjolnir and rubberman's images won't show. But I remember them as interesting!

Sorry..no more C&C for now...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mj you get my vote.
    I like the way it turned out! great.

cheers

"FAIL, FAIL AGAIN, FAIL BETTER"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First... my goodness! Thanks for the votes and kind words so far, guys! You guys are awesome. I'm glad folks are enjoying the wierdness.

Second: Supervlieg: thank you kind sir for the fair and balanced critique as always. I hear what you're saying about the color process and the anatomy. All I can say, not in my defense, but rather by way of explanation on those legs is that when I was a kid I had this Dungeons and Dragons miniature I loved and he had legs very simillarly oriented. That's it. Just my dorky geek-kid memories. It can be argued I could try therapy.

I ended up voting for Chuck,mate. First for the visual portrayal of the concept. I have no idea how this creature operates or how he invades this world of intestines (belly of a whale perhaps) but its original and I love it. Second, quickie or not, you get a hell of a lot done in 35 minutes. It's sort of like caligraphy in 3D, if that makes any sense. I have a great appreciation for those that use the power of a single brush stroke. I love the style, and its a bizarre, original idea, so it gets my vote.

As for the rest... there's a tight group of illustrations here this week with something to like from a lot of them. Longshao, I mentioned Barlowe in the posting thread, so you know what I think. Love it. I almost think you could just delete the front claws, cause I think that beak could get at any food it needed. Cloister my new RPG buddy, this guy is so brutish from such a gentle soul. Who knew you were so dirty? I'm impressed. SV: The head and shoulders are damn near perfect, and while the rest is abbreviated and I can handle an illustration dissolving in that way the one thing I really, really, really wish you had included is the horses head. Somehow I think it's neccessary for the brutality of what we're witnessing here, even if the creature is misunderstood. I want the horses head more than the frame. The speculars are nice. Vegas Mike still rockin' the CS3 you got just as you made your Heart Harvester. I see this guy as a companion piece to the Heart Harvester... the rendering, the frame and the distended bottom jaw... the Heart Harvesting pelican is a little more quirky-original, but this is still a nice partner to it. Very cool.

Nice round everyone. Thanks again for the votes and encouragement.

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; August 1st, 2007 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Chuck, mate. I love the monchrome of the piece, it gives a great atmosphere. Supervlieg did a great job on commenting on all the work there isn't much left to say after it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is weird, but I can't see Chuck, mate's entry...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Vegas Mike.

Most, if not all, the entries were pretty awesome though. ~

Try always to [ i m p r o v e. ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really liked the work that everyone submitted. I voted for Timothee because I really enjoyed the over all concept and the art work was on point. I thought that Mike Jaecks, Thalion, and Vegas Mike were also great works. Thank you all for having me in this competition and for all those who did'nt make it in just keep your heads up and try harder and you'll see your way sooner or later. It all comes with practice as I have learned and I am continuing to learn a lot especially in the confrontation of so many great artists on here. Great work guys!!! What's to come with the "Singing Death"? =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted Supervlieg, it seemed to make the most sense to me. The head being bald for easier access to the guts was a nice touch. It kind of looks like it came right out of a storybook of mythical creatures. And having it similar to a sloth was a great idea, those things can be pretty scary when you start researching them.

I don't know, the concept Supervlieg had was the most captivating to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote went to Mjolnir. Once again you "hammered" out a nice piece. Beautifully delicate artpiece, me likey, likey very much!

Supervlieg: The head is great! You really managed to give it a translucent skin effect! Wish the rest was more polished though.

Woodlandwalker: Bigger image please next time! Those rats are quite swell - I dig their split lower jaw with the nasty teeth!

Thalion: Very cute dinosaur. One of the prettiest pieces here, but just not really very "gutsy" or original. But dinos rock of course!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am voting for woodlandwalker, because I think it is a great dynamic piece and the blood is awesome.
    I would have voted for mjolnir, as their creature is one of the freakiest things I have seen (in a very good way!) but I think it needed some guts to complete the picture.
    Supervlieg, VegasMike - just amazing pieces, nothing more to say!
    Rubberman - This was also one of my runners up, I think the creature is great and the fetus idea is very original, even though not technically "guts" (though I don't really think that matters).

Unfortunately I only get one vote or I would have voted for all of these

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, these entries are so good. WHAT WAS I THINKING EVEN ENTERING?!

Anyway, my vote goes to VegasMike. It seems to show off the 'guts' and 'harvesting' aspects best, in the respect that if I just took a glace at it I would know right away what the creature is supposed to be. He definitely seems to be collecting guts only instead of just eating someone, which is a very good distinction in my opinion as it keeps to the topics criteria best. Top work!

(edit - btw, wasn't one of the rules that you had to show your creature with it's victim(s): "No individual or characters"?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys, sorry I haven't been around lately to comment and participate! I always check in at least once a week to see what you all are up to...Great work everyone all around! Here are some thoughts regarding this weeks round of creatures:

Lege1- Nice design,original, I think the colors maybe a bit too saturated.
    Michael Jaecks-WOW! This is one fucked up creature! Excellent render and concept!
    longshao-One of my favs awesome colors and beautiful technique!
    Chuck,mate.-Woah chief! 30 minutes? This is awesome.
    Thalion-Very dinosaurish I like!
    Woodlandwalker-Cool little rodents! I would like the guts to be rendered more.
    Cloister-Wow man this is epic! Another Fav!
    Hopsy-I'm diggin the watercolor look! cool insect like thing!
    timothee-Awesome flow through this piece!
    Supervlieg-Wow man still kickin booty..Thanks for the crit.
    Mj0lnir-This is prolly my fav of this round but I want some GUTZZZ!
    BEAR JR-Cute take on the subject...reminds me of the caterpillar from Bugs Life!
    rubberman-Scary stuff!

Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'll have more comments later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Michael Jaecks- very nice design. I like this painting.
    -Cloister- original creature. It would be nice to see it with background, but without it looks also good.
    -Mj0lnir- I like very much yours creature. The colors that you used are perfect! very nice.
    -VegasMike- good painting, looks like ur Hearth Harvester. but I like it.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vegas u got my vote, hands down.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... and my vote goes to: Mj0lnir- lots of good entries, but this is in my opinion the best

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1