Art: Cubes 3D Tank

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cubes 3D Tank

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cubes 3D Tank

Hey, this is something I'm new at. I'm into my third week of hard surface which teaches me how to model in 3D max. Here's my tank I'm currently working on. I'm gonna add much more detail in the days to come. so let me now what you think.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's coming along very well. The only issues I see are pretty minor.

For the main gun turret, it looks like you need to set up some smoothing groups to make it look more rounded. It has a much lower poly count than the other round elements, so you might consider redoing it with higher resolution cylinders.

The barrel sizes of the lower left gun look a bit small. Even if it's for small caliber rounds, I think they should still be larger.

Over all it's an interesting design. Please post more progress pics so we can see how this turns out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya man, definatly. Its due on Fri so I'll be posting up more stuff tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cube's 3D Tank Update

I made some slight changes. More to come.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As mentioned before there are some smoothing issues on the gun and on the inside of the wheels but these could be fixed easily enough - if it is meant to have a polygonal barrel then it might be worth defining that somehow as it currently looks like a modelling issue.

The gun-barrel fix looks better. To help the believability of the model you might want to add so small details (although as this is a WIP I am guessing you've planned that as your final stage). Some hatches and bolts could help the look of the piece. Some detail within the cab will really help bring it to life.

Some of the edges on the main body look a little sharp, a 5mm or so chaffer will just take the edge off them.

Look forward to seeing more.

-Andrew

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Design

So here's the original design. I think its from and Alien's game or something. I got it off Google.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3D Tank Final

Here's my final turn-in. I now realize anybody can make something good but it takes real balls to make something great. I could have worked on this for another twenty hours and still not get done with it. Tell me what to what you think cause i gotta get better at this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The modelling looks like a good job but as you say it could do with some more work to get it 'finished'. The basic form looks good and clean and apart from some issues with smoothing on the curves (which can be a pain if you’re trying to keep the polycount down) there aren't any really problems there.

I think the biggest problem would be the detailing or more correctly the division of the details. With a project like this (and especially if the reference is a little detail light) is can be helpful to plan ahead you details and considered where and when you want to put them in.

With your model the front the guns are well detailed but the body of the turret and the roof and rear of the hull are quite bare. If your working to a deadline it can be worth getting done some basic detail all over the model then going back over and increasing the detail – that way if the deadline comes up then at least all of the model has something going on with it. Getting the sequence of what to do and when is where the planning can come in handy. To get a good detail coverage quickly, basic parts that can be copied and pasted can quickly build up and overall foundation (like with you handles and bolts) and once you’ve gotten a few projects done you can start to build up a library.

Couple of little thing that stood out to me:
    The front rim of the main gun barrel could really do with a bit of chamfer at either end.
    The hull mounted gattling gun looks a little ‘wrong’ I think it is because the barrel support is too far aft and a bit too thick.

Hopefully you’ll have chance to either finish this off or get some more work done soon.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.