CHOW / Victory Gal - WIP, last steps

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: CHOW / Victory Gal - WIP, last steps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CHOW / Victory Gal - WIP, last steps

Hey everybody!
    I would take this now to final edits and details. Please let me know if you think there should be changed something before I go into details. Since its a watercolor probably just detail-, color- or contrast-changes, but any comment is welcome!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking pretty cool so far man! I like the colors. The only thing thats bothering me is the umbrella's shadow, but I dont know why.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 944 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i think the plane is to small

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 664 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Shadows; gal suggests a different light source than the plane does. Shadows cast the ground by the tree stumps don't seem consistent either. If I follow the lines of your shadows, towards the horizon, I don't end up in one source.
    Agreed with Randis that the plane is a little small, imagine someone of her size sitting in it.
    About her anatomy; neck is very far away from the shoulder. Also, the legs could use some structure, think they should come towards the viewer a little more.
    And last; only seeing one propellor. I think, for example having one more, mangled/broken propellor sticking out from the front would add a nice effect.

Now I'm not too familiar with watercolor, but it seems to be a tough medium, and I'm not sure if anything listed above can be fixed. You might want to smooth out her cheek, or fix the outline of her wings. Or smooth out the horizon far away, perhaps.

Anyhow, these are my thoughts. I'm not really the word on the matter and could be wrong, but I hope this was helpful. I like the idea and pose, and must commend you on using watercolors. Good luck with your entry!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for your time and comments!!

ChaticKnight:
    Thanks Mate! What do you mean, the shadow on the ground or the umbrella itself?

Randis:
    Yeah I know, I watched that during the pencil work but figured it would not be that bad, I did not want her to be too small since its a CHOW and not an EOW. Its not an actual person but a supernatural lifeform. I know its not that right but I just go with that right now.

Anthis:
    Thanks man, for long and detailled crit!
    I did the shadows kinda freehand, but I did not see that they are that off. Maybe I should have measured it. I gonna try to fix it here and there, but I think when you look at the painting as a whole the mistake on shadows is not that disturbing, is it?

I thought its just the shoulder pads that make her neck seem a little off. Unfortunately thats something I probalby will not be able to fix. Gonna try to change light and shadowing on the legs. I will not be able to change the position but I think I can make it clearer how she sits there.

Well, there is the other propellor part, didnt you find it? its underneath the plane. will come out clearer with the last edits I think. But thanks for the hint though!

Cheek and wings are gonna be worked on.
    Thanks so much, that was very helpful and very much appreciated!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The shadow cast on the ground yeah. Im not sure wish I could be more helpful :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 664 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Anytime.
    About the shadows; nah, don't think they are very disturbing. Only her, or the umbrella's shadow seems to fall out of place. Gotta look this up or try it myself, I'm not sure about the tree stumps and shadows cast by them. As a fairly large portion of the sky is lit, perhaps the shadows should be smaller or shorter?
    Neck/shoulder; Think her right shoulder should come forward a little, or maybe her chest is a bit broad (as in torso, not breasts).
    Can see the propellor part now, what I mentioned was just an idea.

Again; not familiar with watercolor, but doing the background first would seem logical too, or am I wrong here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah dude, I started with background but it always develops differently and then you have to retouch it anyway.
    I think the shoulder is the major problem then, but i dont know if I can correct that, there are many black areas already that will be bad to remove. Maybe I gonna just try to move the arm a little inward and then she has larger shoulder pads... Lets see. Thanks man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first thoughts the left side with the trees seems a bit empty I would suggest either cropping it to strength the composition or maybe make the trees higher maybe twisted. need to add shadows and texture as well

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like it, very ambitious. Just want you to think about the impact of the plane at the angle- the wings would have crashed into the ground forward. You gotta think about impact. Plane would also have made a bit of a dent in the land, think about just tossing a sledge hammer, the ground the effect it would have on the earth.
    Maybe even adding some bullet holes in the plane.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.