Thread: Advice, please?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts

Advice, please?

I just got some extra money and treated myself. No, not make-up or shoes...... I just bought myself my first (cheap) Graphics tablet. It's a Trust TB 3100 6x8 inches. Chief selling point was the price (£40,- dunno what that is in $,- maybe $100?)

I've set it up, but haven't tried drawing with it yet because I'm still working on the CHOW in acrylics.

It doesn't seem to have come with any painting software (or maybe I've just made a bad job of setting it up), but I'm prepared to mess around in Paint until I get the feeling of what I draw coming up in a different place to where I'm used to.

At some point, however, I'll probably want something fancier; so I thought I'd ask for advice here. Photoshop/Painter? Are there any others? Which is best? Which is cheapest? Which is simplest for a digital novice?

At the moment, I'll probably be okay just messing around and getting the feel of things, but I'll probably get past that stage very quickly once I get the feel of using a pen or a mouse to draw.

If someone could point me towards a tutorial, too, that would be great. I know there's bound to be one somewhere, but CA is such a huge place!

Thanks!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    You could download gimp (google is helpful ) It's a fairly flexible and free program.

Thanks
    Thanks, Rhineville! At the moment I just want to play and see if I like the medium; still have a lot to learn with pencil, paper and paint,- but digital looks like it might be fun, if ever I get used to my hand and my image being in different places!

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    For playing around and getting your feet wet, try Artrage. There's a free basic version, and the full version is really cheap.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanks, Elwell. Is there a tutorial you would recommend? It'll be a few days until have time to even start to get my head round this.

Actually, while I've been here I've read the "Locked Threads" post and fallen off my chair laughing! I promise I'll try not to think I'm God's Gift!

Digital art just looks like so much fun, though!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Artrage is sweet, rather than looking for tutorials though, look for traditional art instruction and try to apply that.

Thanks
    Thanks, everybody. I downloaded the free Artrage2. I've only had 5 minutes to play with it so far, and won't have time to explore what it does until Saturday, but it's been a fun five minutes. I think I like this!

Thanks
    I haven't tried Artrage myself yet but it seems to be pretty great.

Check out this tutorial from Zhuzhu: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...f=199&t=340842

Have fun!

-Juhani

Thanks
    There is also Artweaver... a Corel Painter replicant, and I can highly recommend oC (open Canvas)...mostly it is a very light program...fairly small and runs with little overhead. Very responsive brushes. One kewl little feature of the earliest oC is that you can network on a project...as in two artists paint on same canvas over net....here's the link http://opencanvas.informe.com/index.php

Thanks
    Trial versions of photoshop can be downloaded if you want to try them out.

Thanks
    Having a look at your sketchbook, I'd say spend more time on regular media, I don't believe you have the basics down yet and I think that dabbling in digital at the same time will do you more harm then good.

- m

Thanks
    Painter is usually only like $40 on Ebay these days. Same with Paint Shop Pro.

I just wish I could find a cheap copy of Illustrator 10 so I can replace the copy that got stolen when I was in school. I even had it registered with Adobe but when I complained it got stolen and asked for a replacement disc (they keep the registration keys attached to an online account you can access) they told me to promptly buy a new copy because they've moved on to Illustrator CS and won't replace outdated products...

Thanks
    Magic Man: I don't intend to switch to digital,- just to play with it. So far, I'm soooo bad! To me, it's just another medium like charcoal or oils, only less portable (and more confusing, since the image appears in a place other than underneath your hand).

I'm keeping my main focus on pencil and paper, with the occasional foray into acrylics. So far, the tablet is just for playtime... It's kind of maddening fun!