Thanks

Desmodus Demonica **update 8-3**

Okay, so I came up with another idea and couldn't wait to get going, so here she is! She's the next girl in the "Monster Chic" line of kits, (and soon to be prepaint statues, more on that later), "Desmodus Demonica; or Vampire Bat Demon Girl" She's perched atop the skulls of the other demons, monsters or such that dared to enter her territory. Let me know what you all think! I'm pretty jazzed about this one, so I'm figuring I'll be getting her done pretty quick. Oh yeah, Galapagos Girl is heading to molds, and Assassin Bug is still moving forward, pics coming soon.

-Sam
    Last edited by acornboy; August 3rd, 2007 at 12:11 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    another great piece!!!! am very impressed with how u treated the wings, fresh take on the usual wide span or cocooning wings!!! the sly-smile is sending shiver down my spine (without fangs, seductively lethal?) just me humble opinion, other demon's head could be more demon like? horns, fangs, etc? spotted some "accessories" on one of the demon head, maybe more nose-rings, ear rings, eye-brows rings..i dunno hehehe sounded more like pirates than demons. some of ur pieces spotted tiny "humour" parts that i like, dunno if that's what they're intended for, just makes the overall piece more enjoyable, to me anyway.

another thought, if she's hanging up-side down like on a stalagmite or something? but i guess that'll be a different effect on the body's anatomy by gravity... the tiny lantern and her leg's ornamental piece, is she going to be an oriental demon?

was going to ask about the other pieces, now that you've mentioned it, i'll just patiently wait for your updates!!!

the toothbrush is for? is it there for cleaning tools, or u got some special tips to share? thanks a million for sharing inspirational pieces
    Last edited by zenichi; July 30th, 2007 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks
    Sam -

Thank you so much for posting your in-progress works. You create really stunning pieces, and it really helps (me, at least) to see the pieces before they're finished. After you posted the Galapagos Girl, I printed out the pictures you posted and studied what you had done, which really helped me a lot. Really superb work, and I can't wait to see her in final shape.

Please keep posting - you are an inspiration!
    Jeff

Thanks
    Zenichi- I use the toothbrush on Castilene to smooth tiny wrinkles and such and to knock off little bits of scraped up material. I use a toothbrush on Sculpey to brush on a fur-like texture or to smooth out large areas. If I remember, I'll put up a shot or two of what I'm talking about.

-Sam

Thanks
    Beautifull works!

Thanks
    Damned she'is really nice

But on how many sculpts are you working on?

I can count about 4 maybe more...

great piece,will be nice front of the bug assassin

Thanks
    The way you sculpt reminds of how a painter builds up a painting. I like the way you sketch out the forms, and even the details, so early on.

So many sculptors, including myself, tend to work on sections at a time and have no idea of how the entire sculpt will look until the end.

Your "stand in" details really give a clear idea of what works right away. You've inspired me to try this on my next project. Fantastic work!

Thanks
    Thanks a lot for the kind words, everyone!

Pijay-Brown- I'm usually working on at least four pieces at any given time. That way I can sort of skip from project to project as I get bored. It helps to have them in different stages of progress too, one near-finished, one being roughed out etc... That way if my brain gets tired of working on tight details, I can jump over to a rough and relax a little.

-Sam

Thanks
    another great acornboy sculp. your stuff are fantastic, now I will see a finished sculpture, go go go. ^^

Thanks
    Okay everyone, here are updated shots of the Vampire Bat Girl. I got a decent amount done to the skulls, and will soon be adding teeth and sutures and such. I got her body much further along and will soon be getting into her detailing as well. Let me know what you all think!
    -Sam

Thanks
    a really pleasant experience looking at all your sculpts! especially the multiple angle shots! really gives the illusion that the sculpt is just right in front of one's eyes!! really enjoy watching your sculpt develop from one stage to another, thanks for sharing!!!
    as for the toothbrush tips... unfortunately i'm too much a beginner to appreciate the uses you mentioned ... but i'm guessing you use it on Castilene (never used this before but i've google and wikipedia it) and sculpey as a semi-sculpting tools to brush away layers and bits to achieve what you want without chipping too much away or to retain relative bumps surface differences?(like a really coarse sanding before bake or harden?)

2 more questions:-
    1. the two different colour materials (also appear in your other sculpts), i understand from your description that they are proportion of different sculpey mixtures or different material at all (like Castilene), i understand the idea behind colour differentiation, and i'm sure there are reasons behind why you've chosen certain material for certain sculpt based on their properties to best achieve your intended use, or in assasin bug, you've covered the armature with pink sculpey and baked to harden? before building on sculpey firm?. i know there are probably endless reasons and list of effects achievable based on sculpt material's properties (i suppose it also differs from sculptors to sculptors and also from experiences) but can i just narrow it down to the 2 sculpts- demonica & assasin bug? i'm guessing here again, but is the skulls a different material from the gal? is the skull Castilene? any major reason why you are using two main (or maybe more??!!) materials in this particular sculpt? thanks

2. notice a red colour amputated toys on your worktop(first pic on ur 3 aug updates)... are they for toy modifications? just cant help looking at every details from your pics
    Last edited by zenichi; August 3rd, 2007 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by acornboy View Post
    Okay everyone, here are updated shots of the Vampire Bat Girl. I got a decent amount done to the skulls, and will soon be adding teeth and sutures and such. I got her body much further along and will soon be getting into her detailing as well. Let me know what you all think!
    -Sam

What I think is that it keeps getting better. Is this castilene? I ordered some castilene a while back because a number of really fabulous artists really like it, but I just couldn't get the hang of it despite several attempts. Are there any good tutorials or resources for learning to sculpt in the stuff??

Thanks!

Thanks

Thanks
    I Don't have a words...It's just...All you works...AMAZING.Very cool

Thanks
    Wow, awesome. It's great how you've made the sculpt interesting from all angles. Great so far, I'll be watching the updates!

Thanks
    im confused this is the exact same as your post from a whilee back are you just showing some in progress pics?Desmodus Demonica **update 8-3**

Thanks
    Awesome

Thanks
    Really great job, is amazing

Thanks
    Impressive work!! The expression of the face is great! and the body is perfect. I love the details of the trimmings! Good work!! congratulations

Thanks
    Hey everyone, thanks for all the kind words! Just thought I'd share some shots of the painted piece. This was painted by Joe Nejberger, by the way, a fantastic painter. Take care.

-Sam

maddmaestro is offline conqueror of small fruit and large vegetables
    Thanks
    Awesome!! The paints totally bring out the best aspects of your sculpt! Beautiful...

Maddmaestro