what kind of laptop to buy for painter..
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: what kind of laptop to buy for painter..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

what kind of laptop to buy for painter..

hm im looking to get started on digital work..well at least the painter program..since im mainly traditional..and most of my digital work would be for my major that is arquitecture...
    I saw a couple of guys where i sketch use a laptop that flips and you can draw on top of the screen.. did not get to ask them about it..but thats mainly the computer im looking for..so it could serve as my digital sketchbook and my first venture on these kind work..
    do you guys have any recomendations..about price, quality ,performance..i dont want a wacom ..since drawing on the screen is as close as i can get to drawing on paper.. thanks..

my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Ellingsworth Guest
    Here's some good deals you can get on a MacBook,

Refurbished MacBooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Clintic

This is made by Wacom, however I do not think it is a computer. You would need a computer in order to use it. But it does provide you the ability to draw on it as you would paper. Here is the site:
    http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm

I really do not of a laptop that would allow you to draw on the screen...but then again I am not up on technology.

One thing to remember when you do choose a PC/laptop, you want at least 2 gig of ram, and as much of a processor as you can afford. Don't skimp when it comes to graphic programs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What he is talking about is a Acer Tablet Laptop. It has a ''cintiq'' included on the main screen.

I just found the review, you can read it here:
    http://www.highend3d.com/articles/reviews/21.html

I'm really unsure where to get that or what will be the price of it.... Anyways, good luck with it, look like a good Laptop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep away from tablets!!! False ecomomy. Get the best resolution screen and most importantly at least 2gb Ram! Then spend the rest on a good Wacom Intuos 6x8... Don't be tempted by cheaper tablets. You really do get what you pay for with wacom!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spudstudios View Post
    Keep away from tablets!!! False ecomomy.
    OOPS! I doubt you mean that, considering the rest of your post.

Get the best resolution screen and most importantly at least 2gb Ram! Then spend the rest on a good Wacom Intuos 6x8... Don't be tempted by cheaper tablets. You really do get what you pay for with wacom!
    A Wacom Intuos 6 x 8 is a tablet, as you clearly understand.

Jin

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    OOPS! I doubt you mean that, considering the rest of your post.

A Wacom Intuos 6 x 8 is a tablet, as you clearly understand.

Jin
    Err. Not really. You seem to have missed the point..or maybe my explanation was the issue. Basicaly you could buy a similar spec laptop for half the price of a tablet PC ( laptop with penabled screen).
    Then buy a Wacom intuos 3 tablet and still save money overall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi spudstudios,

I think I did get the point and couldn't resist teasing you a little when you referred to tablet pc's as tablets in the first sentence in your post quoted below. Tell me if I did misunderstand you:

Quote Originally Posted by spudstudios View Post
    Keep away from tablets!!! False ecomomy. Get the best resolution screen and most importantly at least 2gb Ram! Then spend the rest on a good Wacom Intuos 6x8... Don't be tempted by cheaper tablets. You really do get what you pay for with wacom!
    In any case, I hope you know my post was intended to be friendly, and joking.

If it didn't come across that way, please accept my apologies.

Jin

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I wonder

The Acer Tablet/PC looks really cool, but I wonder if one would not get frustrated with it. By that I mean, on my lap top, Mac G4, 17 inch screen, when working in Painter real-estate became a big issue. For traveling and working I deal with it, but the need for a larger monitor became evident. Anyway just a thought to consider.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unless you put out a lot of money the macbooks just don't seem to handle good painting software as well as the towers or your pc's. 1GB of ram is plenty if you get a good graphics accelerator in whatever you get. The ram on the card (try 128mb+) will take over the main work load so your pc/mac don't have to try so hard. The accelerators are good all around, www.pricewatch.com is a great place for components.

If you get a laptop, try to go with something stable like pentium processor (unless you plan on leaving it plugged in all the time), then you might want to shell out the money for processors like an athalon. Typically athalons run hotter than your standard processor, and I do mean that literally. Athalons will run the temp in w/e room you put it in by 2-10º. You can always counter this or cool a system down more (which will help any system to run better) with additional hardware like liquid coolant systems. Dont' let the wordage fool you, it's for the most part non hazmat stuff, and works via heat displacement rather than heat dumping or relocation.

Macbooks (even the expensive ones) don't come with the options your typical pc style laptop does. I suggest a computer (mac tower or pc) with a monitor, but if you have to have a laptop, any of the brand toshiba-dell work fine with 1gb ram and a 128mb graphics accelerator. The better the card the less ram you need from your system, but if you boost both, you'll notice a substantial increase in your system performance.

One more thing (sorry this is all over the place, i'm late getting somewhere and need to jet now ^^), stay away from geforce cards. They're cheaper, and as most people know, cheaper in electronics is a dangerous gamble. Radeons and more expensive brands run consistently well. The card i'm using now is a 6yr old card that is only better by a handful of models (only a couple gefoce models). Radeon 9800 128mb, it runs exceptionally well and cost 200 at the time. You can get the same card today for under 100.

To macbooks users, i'm not really slamming the macbook, it's just reality. I have painter and several other graphic apps on my fiance's; it will run and does work when i don't have access to my hp or my tower, but it just doesn't run as well as others can.

summing it up
    1) try to get a tower if you don't mind losing mobility
    2) if you get a laptop, and can't get any graphics acceleration do 2gb+ (if you can afford it - 1gb runs most apps fine)
    3) for best performance try to stray away from the macbooks

that's basically it, if you have any other questions regarding hardware, shoot me a line or post here again. ^^ I'm a bit of a tech nerd and have spent plenty of time and money on lots of brands.

"Be afraid, try your best not to let it consume you"

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using an Acer aspire 9301awsmi laptop, Athlon turion cpu. 17" monitor, 2gig processor, 1.5 gig ram(maximum 4gig), nvidia geforce 6100go gfx, and a wacom intuos3 tablet. And basicly all my illustration work for the past 6 months has been done on this machine, mainly using painter and photoshop with no problems. Also use zbrush, which runs pretty good up until it hits 2 million polies, then i get slowdown, but thats mainly due to ram. The reason i bought this was becouse of the 17" screen, personally for any kind of graphics use, 17" or above is a must. Second reason, becouse its AMD, I've never bought Pentium, only AMD pc's, and i've never had any problems with them so far.
    I have only one thing to say about apple mac's, their supose to be the best for professional use using graphics and music software. However i used a G5 mac in uni, and to be honest, i wasn't overly impressed, especialy considering i myself was at the time using an old 1gig athlon thunderbird, slot A cpu, with less than 400meg ram. Also if Apple mac is so good, why do their new laptops use the new pentium duo core cpu in them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    pentiums don't run as hot as athalons, they use less power and put out less heat to the cpu. there are far more cases of fried motherboards from athalon computers than pentiums. it's almost like the tortoise and the hair, pentium being the consistently paced turtle, and athalon being the amped up rabbit. there are pros and cons to both

"Be afraid, try your best not to let it consume you"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.