Thread: Soap Sculpture

Thanks

Soap Sculpture

I video-taped myself carving this figure out of glycerin soap with large kitchen knives, in the nude, with the shower running. In the final installation set up, I projected the video onto the finished carving.

Soap Sculpture

Soap Sculpture

Soap Sculpture

Soap Sculpture

http://www.rachel-nefcy.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    That's pretty neat!

Thanks
    How big is that? Is it from a larg block or just a bar of soap. Just wondering cause it looks like the size of your shower stall- length wise

Thanks
    The actual installation probably had a lot more impact than what we see in these photos. A white shower does not provide the best framing for a sculpture of translucent glycerine soap. Do you have any shots of the installation? I would almost think that the video itself would be a form of art, especially if it were sped up like a time lapse - it would be fascinating to watch the blocks of glycerin wittled down to this shape.

Judging it purely as a figurative sculpture... well, it's actually quite a nice piece considering the size, medium, and the fact that you limited yourself to fairly crude tools. I do think a little more refinement and some stronger anatomy would have given it more impact, but I'm just judging it based on what I see here and without any idea of what you were intending to convey. Probably the thing that I pesonally think detracts the most is the fingers. Having hands over the head like that makes for a very powerful pose, but the stubby, cartoony fingers sort of lessen the impact of that pose for me.

Thanks
    thank you so much for the indelpth critique! This is the type of feedback I've been wanting! Yea I was limited my the shower color.. and I regret it being so similar to the glycerine soap color.

I wish that I could re-work the figure more, but the piece actually dried up and I had to dispose of it. (I did this piece nearly two years ago). It was difficult getting any really decent pictures of the forms made becuase of the translucent quality of the glycerine. I agree that if the form was more life-like, the over-all impact of the piece might also be enhanced.

If you visit my website at http://www.rachel-nefcy.com you can see a progression of the carving in picture form. I have the video as well... but I need to figure out how to post a quicktime movie that's 15 minutes long... do you know how I should go about doing that?

Thanks
    How big is that? Is it from a larg block or just a bar of soap. Just wondering cause it looks like the size of your shower stall- length wise

This sculpture is the size of a life-size adult in crouching postition. I started out with a 300 pound block of glycerine soap, and carved out the form from there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Diphallia View Post
    That's pretty neat!
    thank you!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rnefcy View Post
    I have the video as well... but I need to figure out how to post a quicktime movie that's 15 minutes long... do you know how I should go about doing that?
    Well, you could use something like YouTube or Google Movies to post it, as I believe they both support QuickTime movies for uploads, but 15 minutes is a little long for those sites, which I think limit you to about 100 megs or 10 minutes, whichever is less. If you split the movie into two parts, that option may work, though they do tend to compress those movies pretty far.

How big is the original movie file? Does your service provider limit the amount of room or bandwidth you can have (most do)? I can show you how to embed a quicktime movie into a web page, but you need to be careful doing that, since it's very easy to eat up your allotted disk space or bandwidth with a good size movie, especially if you get a lot of people downloading it.

One thing that you might want to do is convert the file to a more standard format like MPEG-4 or AVI before uploading. Quicktime is great for authoring, but not everyone has Quicktime installed (Windows users can get Quicktime, but not all do, and Linux users can't get Quicktime at all). Some of the newer codecs like MPEG4 allow you to make the file size smaller without much quality loss.

Let's see - another option would be to upload the original file to something like MegaUpload or RapidShare - those are file hosting sites that let you post large files for free. Then you could post the URL. People will have to download the movie and watch it from their local machine, but that's a minor inconvenience and at least you won't have to compress the hell out of it like you would for YouTube and you won't have to worry about using up all your bandwidth on your web site.

If you need help converting to MPEG4 or another format, let me know - I can walk you through it, or if you don't have the tools, I'd be happy to convert it for you. Send me a private message if you need help with that or have any questions about how to post the movie.

Thanks
    Try that with a normal-size soap!