the deep, dark, menacing jungles of Australia.
    Thanks

2 questions about tablets...

1. Just how important is a graphics tablet anyway? I have a lazer-mouse and its pretty cool, and those tablets are damn expensive, at least here in Oz...

2. Do they all work on PCs as well? I'm thinking a graphire 4 by 5.. cheapest out there probably. i dont want to buy it then find it doesnt work on my computer!
    Last edited by catterpillar; August 13th, 2003 at 01:49 AM.
    art is fun and addictive. like coffee. I like coffee too.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    They will work on almost all PC's. Make sure the one you buy meets the requirements.. for example you are going to want to have at least 500 mhz CPU, 128mb of ram, and a decent video card. You will most likely need a USB port, but if you dont have one they might still sell serial port models with power connectors. I would HIGHLY recomend getting a USB version, it makes for less wires.

How Important are they?

Well, that is a good question. How much art education have you had? Do you paint, or just draw?

Do you have interest in drawing on a computer? Thinking of getting into illustration?comics?any feield that requires you to know how to use a tablet and some sort of graphics progam, such as Photoshop, Painter, Illustrator, etc?

As far as tablets go.. I recomend getting nothing smaller than a 9in by 6in tablet... But I Highly recomend a 9in x 12in.

there are tons of threads on tablets if you go up to the button that says "search" and do a search for tablets, you'll get a nice list to go through and get different opinions.

One thing to keep in mind when buying a tablet is how you draw. If you are use to drawing on a large pad of paper, and you draw from the arm, then a larger tablet is better for you. If you draw from the wrist, then a smaller tablet is for you. ALSO you have to remember that your monitor is problably 17in to 21 in... and a 9in by 6in tablet is ALOT smaller than the screen so to work on detail you will have to zoom in while a larger tablet helps you from zooming in alot and being able to work the whole peice zoomed out.

Lastly, a tablet will not improve your work. It may help with costs of not having to buy paint etc.and cleaning up messes. But it wont teach you anything without practice, practice, and more practice.

good luck

peace
    -mike
    -Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

the deep, dark, menacing jungles of Australia.
    Thanks
    hey thanks! I'm still thinking on it, though I doubt I'd be able to afford a huge tablet. maybe I'd better practice my watercolour first....
    art is fun and addictive. like coffee. I like coffee too.

Thanks
    cheap and wicked tablet is from spypen called "designer" 6x8 area 512 levels of pressure 4064 lpi, 12 function keys, pen and mouse. I haven't priced it lately but I bought one last year for 129 canadian dollars.