Art: Discovery
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Discovery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow Discovery

The rough sketch I started to draw this piece was simple and it was just a female character. I thought the design was cool and I could dig deeper into the concept so I ended with this idea of a group of explorers guided through this cave by a full equipped girl. nothing complicated but it was a challenge as I usually don't paint Backgrounds, I've learnt a lot doing this one. so expect to see more piece like this in the future.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Work like a Slave, To live as a king!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Ellingsworth Guest
    Well, that's certainly a nice looking ass.

I like it man, maybe it could use a few more textures on the back of the cavern walls. The head gear on the woman is quite awesome and impractical at the same time. I Really like the colors used. Keep it up!

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,150 Times in 1,700 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ass.

That's the first thing and the one thing that holds the attention. Gotta get it straight what the point of the picture is. What's the story? Is this supposed to be dramatic? If so, where's the tension except in her tights?

I love the rendering style and your drawing skills are nice. But if the first and last thing anybody sees is hot bottom, you aren't doing science fiction art, you're doing cheesecake. And if its cheesecake, let's just see the girl and forget the cave.

And what's the point of the guy there if you're just going to bury him value-wise and have him looking down at nothing. His whole body is actually directing our attention away from any drama associated with the mouth of the cave. (as is the butt) He has his own little mini story, that of hanging on by one hand and looking down.

So to recap, if the drama is "look, the mouth of the cave!" you've done everything to direct the viewer's attention away from that point.

I think you have a strong talent. On this piece I think you just gotta figure out your focus. I always have trouble when I try to "construct" a scene from parts rather than imagine it fully from the start.

EDIT: I wonder if the fact that the light at the mouth of the cave and the light on the figures is the same color temperature is causing part of the problem. Maybe if the figures were in cool light instead of warm, the whole thing would be perfect.

kev

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

Last edited by kev ferrara; July 24th, 2007 at 05:12 PM.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I honestly never noticed the guy until I read Kev's crit. Even then it took me a moment.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually went: headgear -> ass -> head of the man -> light in the back of the cave -> headgear... ... -> ass... ... ... It's a classic reiq piece only with a background! Brilliant!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakespeare
    I think he'll be to Rome
    As is the osprey to the fish, who takes it
    By sovereignty of nature.
    SSG
    Anthis Dizon Angel Intheuk Zou Crane Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kev ferrara: yeap you're defenitely right and I'm still figuring out how to prioritize each element in the picture and how to lead the viewer through the picture. this is like the second or third time that I try to paint something like this so be patience I 'll keep your comment in mind for the next pieces for sure. Thanks a lot!

Elwell
    : I have to work more on that

Work like a Slave, To live as a king!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LMAO!! Oh dear....well, it's quite a nice pic...however personally I wouldn't wanna attempt any rock climbing and exploring in the total buff hahaha...you might get a few cuts and grazes in some very unwanted places! ^_^

Cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My main problem with the bulbous tukus is that the "shine" spots are unrelated to any light source in the image. It's as if her trunk is generating its own light. Now, I've seen a few asses that seem to shine, but I'm pretty sure that's more metaphysical than literal.

I like the composition, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The two things I most notice are the great-looking shiny butt, and the bright spot off in the distance (the mouth of the cave or some brightly lit cavern I suppose). As for the guy, I'm not sure what he's looking at. Maybe he's trying to avoid staring at the glorious derrière right next to him. Excellent use of color and light values (once you figure out what story you are trying to tell with the picture).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.