Elf Girlie
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Elf Girlie

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elf Girlie

So I drew this on a whim, and there seems to be something wonky with her hip. Can I get some critiques, please? That would be fantasmic.

Thank you!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ears look like horns, there is no sign of the lower ears. Personally I prefer elf-ears like they are in LOTR, with just a small point peaking an otherwise human ear. Only rabbits look good with long ears. At any rate she needs lower ears.
    Her mouth seems too big (like a trout pout) and it would be better without the strong line around the edge of the lips, and if anything with a stronger line through the middle where they would part. The legs also look too wide, and bulge out too much below the knees. Also you might want to soften the lines of the torso and tone down the nipples to make the fabric of her top seem more there and the whole thing more classy. The hand is a bit wrong, too, the best thing would be to pose in the mirror in that position to get an idea how it should look. The other hand looks hairy, that needs sorting too. Smoother outlines and shading would make her look less furry generally. There is also no particularly defined light direction, or rational deployment of shadows. Shading just on the lower part of her face makes it look like she needs a shave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know, I've always prefered elves with very long ears. Makes them seem less human.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work on your first posting here. The one other thing that sticks out at me is that the leg to our left looks a lot larger (especially by the hip) than the one on the right; it also seems to be a little too wide - almost like you had to draw it that way to meet up with her knee, hand, and hip. I like the way you shaded the hair, but it looks like the hairline is a little too low - people have big foreheads. I'm a little confused by the few strands of hair in front of her chest, but not a huge deal. It also seems like her breasts are a little uneven, the one to the left being larger, and more rounded (excellent shaping on the one to our right). I agree that there should be more of a bottom to the ears, whatever shape the top may be. Overall well done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    She looks off balance because the major lines and masses of the body aren't related properly. When a standing figure is at rest, the head, shoulders, and hips will fall into a natural rhythm to keep the figure balanced. When the weight is carried on one foot more than the other the spine will form an "S" curve, and the head, ribcage, and pelvis will follow suit. I've redlined the eyeline, shoulders, spine, hips, and legs on your pic, then done a drawover to show them in a more natural position. I've also isolated the redlines so they're easier to compare.
    Name:  elf-PO1.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  67.6 KB
    Name:  elf-PO2.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  28.8 KB

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know, it feels like your pose is a little of balance, like she'd fall to the left. The right leg is coming forward.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DuchessOfDork View Post
    I don't know, I've always prefered elves with very long ears. Makes them seem less human.
    please yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,594 Times in 637 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DuchessOfDork View Post
    I don't know, it feels like your pose is a little of balance, like she'd fall to the left. The right leg is coming forward.
    Remember there's her left arm aswell. Elwell didn't do a complete paintover, but if you sketch a figure around his 'stickman' you'll probably see the balance is correct.

Anyways;

The big ears are just fine, as long as you can 'back it up' and make them convincing. They don't have what it takes to make them look like ears, if you can follow me.
    Getting a good light source will also help you define the shape and make stuff look less flat.
    Also, I'd recommend trying some sketches first, lay down the general shape, composition, pose, etc before you work your way into the details. Helps you prevent mistakes that may be hard to fix later on. Might be wrong, but seems you did this straight from the head.

Anyways, I'm no pro, but I hope this was useful. I like the clean shading, and I think the shirt looks pretty convincing. HF improving!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.