Star Wars Guy
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Star Wars Guy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Star Wars Guy

Howdy! Here's a pencil character study. He's got a lightsaber, which means he belongs in the Star Wars universe. C&C appreciated.

PS: I have every intention of coloring this... I'm putting in the coloring book thread too.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, it's a wonderful picture! It seems like his feet are shown from different perspectives - the one in front is seen dramatically from above and while the far one is partially seen from above, but I don't think you could see that sort of differential in the view it looks like the rest of the picture from - maybe show a little more of the side? While I really like the shading of the shirt in general, his chest looks a little funny, like it's bumpy. I like his outfit, particularly the coat. Overall it's well done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Celarania - Thanks! I'm glad you like it, and thanks for the crits, too. I drew this on watercolor paper - I don't know if that's what's making it look "bumpy." Anyway, thanks for the comments.

Does anyone have any ideas on colors?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome drawing!

Its quite good. I agree with the foot thing, it has a fish eye quality. but, if he is standing on organic surface, not a flat man made floor, then it should be fine.

as for the light saber, it seems a little out of place? generaly the only characters Ive known to use light sabers are Jedi and sith. Though honestly I dont know much about the universe outside the movies.

He doesnt look very jedi or sith. He looks more like Han solo. Pilot, smuggler, rebel, fighter, etc...

well whoever he is the color pallete should fit him. You can look at the other characters in star wars and you can see how their palletes suited them.

Princes Leia for example, started with an all white costume. She was innocent, naive, the damsel in distress. In later movies, she slowly adopted tans, greens, blacks. She became the warrior princess by the 6th chapter.

Han solo, had the black leather vest and white shirt. Han has a duality about him. On the outside he is a wreckless dangerous smuggler, on the inside he is realy a good person and wants to do the right thing. he keeps this costume through all 3 films.

Luke, starts with his off-white costume. He also is innocent, naive, young and unexperienced. In the second film he adopts a flight jacket and military gear. He has become a warrior. In the third film he has risen to new power, and Jedi status. He is now above the average fighter pilot and warrior, he is the first Jedi returned. His costume realy resembles a priests clothes. Being a 'man of god' or being 'a man of the force' so to speak.

so it realy depends on his character. If he is a rebel, the greens and tans you'd find in a world war II uniform would fit. If he is a 'official' fighter for the rebels, you may add the bright orange that we identify with the fighter pilots.

If he is rogue, a free agent, I would stay away from the greens and tans and go more with a de-saturated pallete. greys mostly. white or black depending on how 'hero' or 'villan' you want him to appear. All black would make him look more like a jedi or sith.

I duno, I think doing something High key, along the lines of lukes first costume could be interesting. Make him look like a citizen of the cloud city. I think its too predictible to use dark colors on him.

I duno. what do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    codenothing - superhelpful post, thanks a ton. Lots of good stuff to think about there - you've definitely made me reconsider what colors to use. Now I'm leaning towards some light greys, light beiges, maybe a few places with dark brown leathery colors... We'll see. Again, thanks a ton.

Next up: sort of an autistic Jedi savant...? Seems unbalanced (both mentally and in the pic...), but somehow everything turns out awesome? Well, that's a little more of an artsy-fartsy way to put it for my taste, but hopefully the idea gets across. C&C appreciated.

Last edited by Auralius; August 1st, 2007 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well with your Starwars guy i have some suggestions
    I think so far he looks like more of a sith
    so maybe a Blackish or Dark Brown cape?
    and you should make his skin pale if he was a sith
    i dont know about you
    but i think he would maybe look better bald?
    And if he is a jedi or sith maybe get rid of all the compartments on his pants Jedi or sith only need the force
    but it is yours to do what you like
    (another suggestion He could be a rogue Jedi or a Neutal jedi)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Greenfire - thanks for the ideas. I was thinking more along the lines of a rogue/wandering Jedi.

Another:

Last edited by Auralius; August 1st, 2007 at 05:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Star Wars is always cool!

Is there anything specific that you are looking for c + c? So far it looks like you are on the right track. Design is simple and clean, Lost of character in the poses etc.. Are these character designs in the vein of Knights of the old Republic or the RPG?

My only crit is that the faces don't appear to have recieved the same amount of love as the rest of the figure. But.. that could just be a scale thing.

Good Stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wheeljack - thanks for the post. Don't know that I had a specific era in mind... I do think the faces are a scale issue. I'm using watercolor paper, so that's not very conducive to small detail, either. I'm not looking for any specific C&C - just whatever y'all can give me.

New pic:

I updated those last two pics, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this character is a jedi too, i suppose? if so, his, or her folds, where the two fabrics cross on his, or her chest should be a ''y' shape. right now you have them in a backwards ''y'' shape...see?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    calendarman - thanks for pointing that out, didn't know that was the rule.

Another - a half-Rakkatakki, half-Umbaran, if anyone's enough of a nerd to know what I'm talking about.

Members who have read this thread: 1