Spartan Training Camp #5 - 50 Gestures Reloaded

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey everyone, I'll start with an apology, been caught up with work so I'm a bit late again with the Camp Posts.

This week will be an easy restful week for those seasoned warriors of the last month or so...

The aim is to produce 50 gestures by Sunday the 29th of July.

The gestures can be of anything, human, animal, fast moving protozoans playing baseball....and can be in any media, digi or traditional is fine.

Come on soldiers! Flex those muscles!!

HALL OF FAME SPARTAN CAMP #4

BEAR JR
    Trashy
    tmyohlaing
    Joe Solo

*Tres Cute Sketch Group*
    ---no added monosodiumglutamate!!!---

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in.

Here's my first round, all done watching folks at Barnes n' Noble and The Cheesecake Factory (though after a point the Chocolate Tuxedo Cream Cheesecake ala mode took all the attention, ha ha)

These are all gestures after paintings by Tim Hildebrandt, in The Fantasy Art Techniques of Tim Hildebrandt.

And lastly, the birds at the top are after Betsy Lewin, from her kids' book Booby Hatch, with many poses from posemaniac.

Onir, I'm likin the action in your gestures. Lots of fun, did you have a reference for these poses?
    JoeSolo, your hands are so dynamic, and unfortunately I can't make out the rest of your gestures real well.
    I'd give some crits, but I honestly don't know how one critiques gesture drawings; to me the goal has always been to get more accurate at faster speed, simplify, simplify, and try to capture the essence of what's in front of you. It seems you've done that, I certainly felt the action in the drawings. Lookin forward to seeing everyone's work again next week.

Last edited by BEAR JR; July 30th, 2007 at 12:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In

Okay, couple gestures here. 30 seconds on pose maniac...waaaayyyy too fast for me. Gotta take my time next week, these are rushed.
    Couple hands

Last edited by Trashy; July 29th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

cool I am in! good job to everyone else that finished last week. Lets keep pushin!

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Such a great concept. FOR SPARTA!!! :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    By the way, Trashy, thanks for the comments on my drawings in the last round.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in this one too dudes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds like good practice to me; I'll throw my hat in this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trashy : Thanks for the comment in the camp #4.

From the pose maniac. 51 gestures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here be my 50. Some from life, others from pose maniacs

Attached Images Attached Images
    Warrior Style

The first rule of Warrior Style is, You do not stop drawing.
    The second rule of Warrior Style is, You DO NOT stop drawing.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 683 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic! I could use some training. Do we also crit/comment etc here?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice gestures everyone! not sure if we are supposed to crit, Anthis, but no reason not to I guess hehe

tmyohlaing - very clean looking gestures and nice job showing volume in the limbs. I think some of your women have rather broad shoulders (a problem I have alot myself), so watch out for that a bit I'd say. good work all around though.

blackrobin - good lord that's alot of hands lol; I like how you kept them varied too. all of them are really nice, though I must say the painted ones are my favorites (nice form and colors). nothing to crit really; nice work and kudos on going after hands hehe.

Anthis - very nice gestures, lots of cool poses in there. I think your people get a bit elongated in the torso at times, but other than that they're great.

edit: woops, didn't see Act.Appalled's gestures (sorry!)

Act.Appalled - beautiful gestures, love the more traditional look to em, not to mention the variety in media it looks like. nothing to crit, great stuff.

--

here are my gestures; slowly did em over the week... had an epiphany of sorts at a point and things started flowing a bit better. these are a mixture of posemaniac.com figures, things I picked up watching tv, and a good amount of unreffed figures. there's around 60 total, so there should be at least 50 decent ones in there oh and I apologize for the car and other doodles, as well as the image size differences... was between my big and small sketchbook.

Spartan Training Camp #5 - 50 Gestures ReloadedSpartan Training Camp #5 - 50 Gestures ReloadedSpartan Training Camp #5 - 50 Gestures Reloaded
    Spartan Training Camp #5 - 50 Gestures ReloadedSpartan Training Camp #5 - 50 Gestures Reloaded

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

here are mine, I know some are more like studies, but I tried to not go over 5 minutes on any drawings. I just really needed work ondrawing hands haha

Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rawr

good job everyone

"Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

figure I would get some crits in here while I have a spare moment before bed time, as it is indeed getting late.

Overall, great job to everyone that finished. No matter what any of our skill levels are, participating in something like this and finishing is a great step in all of our artistic en devours, and show's that if we did have a brief of some kind we can hit a deadline on time.

tmyohlaing - I know these are gestures, but there is a lack of perspective in a lot of your drawings. I think you are focusing a lot on contour, save some of that stuff for the build up, think about the rhythms going on internally, and overall just the direction where everything is going

act.Appalled - All that life drawing you have been doing with me has been helping you a lot, your build-ups are getting better, and overall your perspective is improving. A big thing right now is you are doing the hairy line thing. I know we have talked about this already, but really make some decisions with your lines, a gesture does not need to be perfect or 100% proportionate, if an arm is flowing up, one line swinging up can be appropriate and confident, and if you want to get more rhythmic, and have flowing curves make each curve a single stroke, nice and confident, there is not a lot of reason to pick at the line in a gesture, no worries though man, we all do it, just keep at it.

Anthis - I think you need to push your poses more, I see you trying some dynamic stuff but I think it could be pushed further. One of the hardest things to overcome is using the model as simply a reference, it is something I struggle with every time I get in the life drawing room, don't be afraid to push the pose even if the model is not, you will find it can look even more correct and have more movement. Aldo, the waists on your stuff get really skinny in the majority in your work. On the male figure the waist is more of a box and is the same width as the ribcage. (if he looks top heavy and the wiast looks skinny in the reference is simply because of muscles build up, think about the skeleton underneath.) A female's hips are wider than the ribcage towards the base, think of a lampshade type shape.

Onir - some really solid stuff on the humans, I think you might be jumping to construction a bit to quit, but overall nice.on your non figure stuff you are doing the hairy line thing, I think you should try to carry the confident lines in your figure work over to your props, vehicles, etc.

joesolo - My proportions are still questionable especially in my hand studies I need to think more about perspective, rhythm, and push my poses more, more anatomy understanding I think would help me a lot as well

Dug
    - you have some nice stuff here, it looks though like you are jumping the gun to construction, it seems like once the centerline gesture is down you are you go right into constructions with cylinders and such without getting the gesture and the flow of the rest of the body. I said it before, but really think of what is going on internally, and try to ignore the contour lines. Something that helps is to look at say the arm, look at its contours on either side, and imagine a center line in between (which would be the bones) and just draw that flowing line. I does wonders when you start looking beyond contour.

EDIT:

BEAR JR - I like the gestures from the coffe shop books stores the best, they are loose, full of life. The other stuff falls apart a little bit, you seem really focused on contour and the lack of anatomy knowledge is showing through as you are trying to intergrate it with what looks like some bad habits you have fallen into (no worries though enough practice and that can be worked out) I would concentrate on purley the curves and straights that you see, something super simplified until your anatomy knowledge starts to build up, find the flow of the poses, the rest will come. Lastly Doing gestures from paintings are awesome, but remember the artist has already pushed the pose and made a lot of decisions about it, Its better to go from photo ref or a live model, so you can start making those kinds of decsions as well and really understand why other artists are maing thos decisions

Yea, my gestures are usually pretty light, in the back of my head I am always thinking about the buildup and construction that will follow and the line weight issues I might have if I make the gestures to dark, I will try and just make them darker this next week so they show up better.

Trashy - Good start, I think that 5 to 7 minute poses might be good, I know thats a long time to spend gestureing, but you need to really feel the flow of the pose and the appendages and longer gestures might help that. I like that you are doing thins like bent or swinging arms or legs with one line , it shows the starting of a good understanding of movement.

Again to everyone this is some nice stuff everyone. great job. Lets keep it up!!!

Last edited by JoeSolo; July 30th, 2007 at 07:15 AM.
    Warrior Style

joesoloart.com[/CENTER]

[CENTER]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JoeSolo, thanks for the input, I had a good time today hitting the books and brushing up on anatomy. I've been going to open life drawing sessions in my city, but it's been too long since I've studied the basics, and who can't use constant study in that area?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work guys! thanks for the input as well

BEAR JR - great gestures, love the range in topics. your faces from life came out really nicely and overall they're all pretty accurate. not a whole lot I can see to critique, but if anything I would say to watch proportions a bit more closely in the future. it's in no way a big problem, but a few of your figures look a bit elongated or some of their limbs a bit large (I have the same problem, in torso length). great work once again though; love the birds too

as for my gestures, glad ya liked em hehe. I'd say the majority of them are from reference, either looking at Pose Maniacs or watching tv, seeing a pose, and trying to get it down before I forgot it. this page is pretty much completely thought up poses though. that's one reason why I like using cylinders for figures: can experiment with poses a bit more easily in my opinion .

Trashy - hey, nice work. I'm likin the hands and your skeletons look pretty good. 30 seconds is definitely fast lol, almost a workout at that pace I think proportions are something you should watch for in your figures and your hands a bit more next time. since you said you are going to go a bit slower next time, just keep in mind the width and length of each body part in relation to each other. you don't have to worry about it too much, just something to think about

JoeSolo - great studies; they are a bit light, but overall they look confident and accurate. nice internal work, especially with the hands. I take it those are from Hogarth? if anything I'd say just to watch out for some of the exaggerations he uses to help show the joint/muscle better. nothing to really critique, though I guess I'd like to see a few quicker ones from life. nice work all around though

thanks for the advice, I definitely hear ya on my object sketches. I've gotten a lot more confident with people but I haven't done many quick studies of objects or the like, so my line quality drops off alot on quicker drawings like those.

Duq - very cool poses, nice and clean overall too. I think that alot of these figures are a bit top heavy, though that's not necessarily a bad thing. not much I can really crit on; I think you nailed the gesture well and, while the proportions might be a bit off in spots, they are pretty accurate. I would like to see a bit more variety in body type (need to do that myself) and also I think you should do more variety in pose types. all of these are standing, so I think people kneeling, sitting, curled up, lying down, etc. would be good practice. nice work once again though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,663 Times in 683 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Onir; Thanks, true, not too familiar with the right proportions yet. The length really shows, now that you mention it.
    JoeSolo; Yea, was really trying out poses, but was somehow held back in carrying them out. Thanks for pointing that out, can see it pretty clear now.

Thanks for critting! and see you next round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for my late reply.

Onior: Thanks for the comment. Yeah the broad shoulders on my women. I like your sketchy gestures. Those are lively.

JoeSolo: Thank you. Yes, you are right. I also notice that when I draw figure, the perspective seems to be lack. I need more practice. Your comment helps me a lot. Your hand gestures are pretty good.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.