Ringling College of Art and Design 2008 Hopefuls - Page 62
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,860 of 2156

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2008 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need more info on supplies, haha! What about mini fridges? Can anyone recommend one that's around $100 and stays nice and cold?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Word to the wise- DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT buy the Core Kit. I don't know about non-CA majors, but if you are one, you have to be crazy. In fact, don't buy everything on the list. Yeah, it's cheaper, but only by like thirty bucks or so. AND I promise you, you don't use/open/touch half of it.

I can explain more about it if you guys want, but please- save your self the room space, money, and stress about getting the right brand name on half of the junk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha thanks for making me feel better about not being able to afford the kit, Ninja :p I'm a ridiculous bargain shopper anyway so I have confidence I can find some stuff for cheap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah View Post
    Touchy, touchy, LMAO! I agree the joker is all of what you said with the examples given, but you and I who are obviously fans of the medium have certain expectations and views that others might not have. I have to agree with Crimm in some ways (although she hadn't seen it). I thought the white make-up was a cop out. The jokers mask is permanent - sure in the movie he has the scarred smile but it's just not the same. Aside from a few fanboy gripes though I liked this movie. I guess there can never be an exact depiction of a comic book in film, but this film was good and people are going to have a difference of opinions on things

I'm a little sensitive to certain comments, but I hope I didn't come off too harsh. I just really hate it when people make comments about things that they don't understand.

The make-up/permawhite debate was one of the hottest topics amongst Batman circles before the film came out. It's just one of many artistic choices Chris Nolan had to make when crafting his vision of the Batman universe. When he set out to tell this story, his goal was to fashion it in a realistic way. Moreover, the Joker was meant to be an absolute figure who tears through the film. Giving him bleached skin suggests an origin that is not meant to be known.

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't gonna buy the core kit, until I found out my mother had already sent in the form for it, because I had planned to get it. Oh, well. The campus store is pretty sweet. It had a lot of stuff in it. I am not sure how the prices pan out against competitors though, but it sure will be nice to have when gas is over 4 bucks a gallon.

BTW: I heard a rumor that Heath Ledger faked his death. Probably just a rumor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @threecharles: Pffft, these days anything could be true

As far as the core kit I'm glad I decided not to go for it, not that I would have anyway after seeing it first hand XD

Also anyone know whats up with the financial aid office? I've been emailing them almost every other day now after waiting about 4 days for a reply concerning the amount I owe now. I had called Sallie Mae to confirm that I was indeed denied, they said yes, and that it was on the record, they also told me that Ringling had accessed their account and should have my denial in their records now, but the financial aid office said they had nothing of the sort, so I called Sallie Mae back and they said the same thing AGAIN, then I tried to call/email the Financial aid office back and they have yet to contact me after 4 days.
    UGH.
    I know they're busy, but come on

CheesecakeBree is offline Skilled in the Art of Procrastination Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still glad I ordered the kit... I don't live in a area where I can find the supplies cheaper so I would have either spent more money ordering offline or a lot of time driving around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those who have not ordered the supply kit, there are two art stores within a five-minute drive of the campus that offer 10% discounts on all purchases to college students: Blue Line, Inc., and Art and Frame. Most, if not all, of your required supplies should be available there. And of course there's the campus store.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    Also anyone know whats up with the financial aid office? I've been emailing them almost every other day now after waiting about 4 days for a reply concerning the amount I owe now. I had called Sallie Mae to confirm that I was indeed denied, they said yes, and that it was on the record, they also told me that Ringling had accessed their account and should have my denial in their records now, but the financial aid office said they had nothing of the sort, so I called Sallie Mae back and they said the same thing AGAIN, then I tried to call/email the Financial aid office back and they have yet to contact me after 4 days.
    UGH.
    I know they're busy, but come on
    I totally feel your pain! XD When i get there, im gonna be like "OMG where is everybody? Are you guys partying back here??"

Sounds like there is only two guys who work that area. Im assuming tho, from what I heard offa their voice message. Thats a dangerous area to be low on man power... So many students and situation can mean heads or tails with their information. (like me, but I'm going no matter what! ;o

I hope you get in touch with them!!

(I hope I get in touch with them... I need confirmation too, lol)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was emailing with Finaid today but I think they had to deal with me because I was waitlisted and still haven't gotten the finaid package or bill yet. I still had to fax them my tax return info and everything. So those guys are around they are just really swamped because they have to deal with the kids like me who are so far behind.

CheesecakeBree is offline Skilled in the Art of Procrastination Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know why everyone else is having such a hard time contacting them, I've always gotten e-mail replies from fin aid and all the other departments (most of the time pretty quickly too). Now that I've said that though, I've jinxed it and I won't be able to get in touch with anybody about anything... haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say they have been pretty quick about responding to my emails over the past two weeks. Sometimes they would reply so quickly we would almost be having an instant message conversation, but that was rare. If you simply have questions try using the 2012 face book. A lot of the upperclassmen talk on there, and some of the schools admin as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hrmmm. For other incoming freshman - do we have to have read that Fast Food Nation book by the start of the semester? I was going to ask on Facebook but meh. I wanna ask you guys first in case anyone knew..

- Kezrek doesn't give a ship -

DA - CA - Blog/Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure that we're supposed to read it during orientation. Plus they're providing a copy for all the students then, so don't worry about it 'till you get it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I got the email about the CORE supply kit. They keep saying it's required but are they just using that word so people will buy it? In previous years it wasn't mandatory..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lizzy - Oh. So I went and bought one with my own money for nothing. xD Oh well. I'll have an extra.

Jackie - I got that email too... But I'm not sure what to think. o_o;

- Kezrek doesn't give a ship -

DA - CA - Blog/Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess we should just call them and find out, haha. I have a feeling they'll still try to play word games to make you buy it.. but if you just say "Is it MANDATORY to buy the kit?" they can't really get around that. XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't believe it is 'required' to buy the kit. They are just pushing you to buy it since a lot of people last year chose not to, but I haven't asked them myself. I just know that last years students said not to buy it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got something in the mail today! Not email mind you, but it was what I was waiting for none the less! Everything will be taken care of today, I'm at ease for now WHEW

As far as the Supply Kit the wording is pretty strange O_O But I think it would have been stressed much more if it was indeed mandatory. They would have included it on the check lists they send right? Unless they did and I missed it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you are required to have the supplies, not necessarily required to buy the kit. (If it was completely mandatory they would bill it on tuition bill like the other fees.) They want to make money off it so of course they'll entice you to buy it... but that's not totally a bad thing. If there wasn't an option to buy the kits, it might be kind of a headache when every student went out and tried to buy the same supplies all at the same time themselves. I bought the kit not because I thought it was required, but just because it was easier for my situation and I think I'll use most of it anyway. If you don't buy the kit but have a plan/means for buying the supplies yourself, then it's not a big deal and I doubt they'll punish you for skipping out on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question, I see most of you have most of the supplies offered
    by the kit, but Say I don't really have much of it, is it worth buying it? or waiting for arrival to ringling and buying somewhere in sarasota?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well Uril, from what I've researched on it from previous year students.. most people say that unless you have the money to spare, you shouldn't worry about getting it. One girl even said that she ordered all of her supplies from http://www.dickblick.com/ and ended up paying around half of what the kit costs. Plus every class and teacher is different and you never really know for sure what they'll want you to get.

But if you've got the money and don't want to fool with bargain shopping and the hassle, you could get the kit. It's all about what your individual situation is!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.dickblick.com/ is TEH AWESOME!!!! I've gotten a lot of stuff from them Good thing you mentioned it Jackie, I completely forgot about it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem! Just passing along the info!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that DickBlick is awesome, but that's one of the websites my mom looked at to price the materials in the kit and it was still more expensive than Ringling's discounted kit (not even yet including shipping or the two books). So just fair warning... it seems like a good idea but be sure to crunch the numbers first. Good luck to everyone opting to hunt those deals!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even if you do get the kit, you'll most likely end up buying more paper and other supplies as the year goes on. The core kit has stuff that may not be used, and stuff that you'll run out of in a matter of weeks. I don't recommend the kit...it's fairly overpriced.

Dickblick is a good choice if you don't mind waiting, but Art and Frame is pretty close by if you need stuff that day. It's better than paying shipping for some giant ass newsprint pads . Another choice is Blue Line...they have a shop on Fruitville just off of 41. It's more of an office supply place but can have stuff that Art and Frame runs out of from time to time (Sculpey for example).

But yeah, I'd probably wait to see what your teachers want. Some half expect you to whip out some stuff from the core kit but for the most part, all you need the first few days is 18x24 newsprint, 18x24 drawing paper(something at least 70lb...not the bristol stuff), charcoal(pencils or stick), kneaded eraser, portfolio case, drawing pencils, and sketchbook. The rest you'll find out from your syllabus.

Anyways, your mileage may vary. But those are probably the most essential of supplies for the first few days.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speaking of bargain hunting and all that... has anyone made plans and reservations for their trip to Sarasota? My parents are starting to look into hotels etc. now. We're going to have to drive over the day before and stay the night since orientation check-in starts so early the next day plus they plan on staying though the weekend I think. I guess after the first day of orientation I can move right into the dorm, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoohoo!! I'm done with all my financial aid loans!!! I can rest easy now, till I have to start worrying on what to bring with me. I can't believe this is happening. I'm actually going! After being accepted, then being told I couldn't go cuz of shortage of funds, then being told I can cuz whatever, then having a loans breakdown, and finally being done with it all. ;o; I survived my first real pre-college experience. lol!!

And @ CheesecakeBree, I did!! Twice infact (cancelled then uncancelled), but yes, I did!! I'm leaving here August 15, check out Sarasota & Ringling (if possible) for 5 days, do the school thang, and parents leave when we all start school. Gonna stay at that hotel thats right across from Ringling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anybody know when they're going to give us our login info? I thought it was supposed to be end of July. Cannot wait to see my class schedule.

I'm lucky enough to have family in Sarasota and only live a couple hours away so plans are easy for me. Although coming down the night before isn't a bad idea. We won't have to wake up at 5 AM that way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've noticed that Ringling isn't exactly fast when it comes to getting things done... I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get it until early August :/. And unless you've got transfer credits you're going to have the same schedule as everyone else. I'm really hoping I'll be exempted from first year English and Art History.

I live only 2-3 hours away from Sarasota so we'll be leaving early in the morning and I'm pretty sure my mom'll go back that evening. The Wednesday we go down falls right in the first week that Orange County schools begin. I'll get to see her class before I go though :).

Oh, and I called Ringling about the CORE kit. It's just required that we have all of the supplies on the list, and if I understood correctly we should be able to purchase miscellaneous stuff from the campus store. Also, apparently the list is compiled by the first year teachers and I was told that we need to have everything as exactly as we can so that we are prepared for class. Which brings up my concern about the ambiguity of some of those items on the list... brushes in particular, and if small things are really going to matter that much... I figure that I can fill in the holes for half of Ringling's discounted price so I still wont get it, and if any issues come up I'll just go to the campus store.

Last edited by Lizzybeth; July 25th, 2008 at 04:13 PM.

Page 62 of 72 FirstFirst ... 12 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2