Ringling College of Art and Design 2008 Hopefuls - Page 14

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Ringling College of Art and Design 2008 Hopefuls

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevinstarlight View Post
    Also, I would to know people who are majoring in CA/CAD program, do they have to learn some kind of program language like Mel Scrip for MAYA in order to do Animation? I know like Full Sail Animation Program requires a lot of programming.
    You'll learn a little bit of scripting, but it is extremely minimal - nothing that a third grader couldn't figure out, but like Saint said you'll learn all you need to know once you get here. And to those planning on transfering into the program be ready to work because the transfer curriculum is no joke, lol. I did very well this semester, but it was not without many sleepless nights, and days (for me).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    No Mel Scripting for CA. They are going to get into it in the GAD program eventually, however. You don't need any prior knowledge of Maya at all for CA or GAD. Even if you have experience, Ringling brings everyone from the ground up.

actually, ringling almost prefers that you DON'T know it. they like to do things their way; which is why no maya/painting classes transfer.

go fig.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FullSail is more of a programing shcool than it is an art/animation school, which is why more attention is spent on 3D programming language. They produce a lot of GREAT shader writers. If texturing, shader writing, rendering and even rigging is your thing you will need to know more MEL than an animator or modeler.

You need to know a little as a Ringling CA. I'm not sure it will help to learn it in advance. Though the more you know the faster it is to problem solve.

The primary reason for knowing MEL is to help solve problems that occur. Often you will need to sort though code in the script editor to see why you are recieving errors and how to fix them. You need to know mel scripting for shelf building and what not.

You also will need to know basic UNIX for the shell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I have a lil' question.. about GPA.

In my country each class has diffrent units.. I mean we study math for 5 units, english for 5 units, but say History is only 2 units, and so on.. you get the point.
    Is this the same in America? because If I calculate my GPA, it's about 88, which is equvlient to about 3.5 I assume? but that's according to units.. (I.e. the calculation is if I get 80 in a 5 unit class it's 80*5, and if it's a 2 unit class it's 80*2 and then everything is added up and is devided by the total amount of units..) so is it the same there? because if not I think my gpa which be totally diffrent.. ?

Thank again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Magami, Uril, I hope we all will get accepted for the CA program next year.
    Actually, 08 is a good number for me, anyone thing the same? ..LOL

artmessiah, thesinfullsin, Panda,Cathicks, Thank you guys for the inputs. I had a hunch, that there will be some kind of Scripting involve once reaching Sophomore/Senior Year.

I believe everyone knows there strength and weakness and mine is definitely NOT Scripting! The only programming I’ve ever learned was html and Adobe FL Action Script. Going through those similar experiences, I actually need more time to learn than others. As Graphic Designer I know when I need to meet the deadlines, so thanks everyone for the head start! *~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UriL-- It sounds like your grades are being weighted based on difficulty/importance...am I right? The same thing sort of happened at my high school with honors/AP classes. I'm not sure exactly how to convert it... An A is worth 4 points, a B is worth 3, a C 2, a D 1, and an F 0. You add up your points, then divide it by the number of classes. I hope that helps. Anyway, I think they're pretty understanding with international students. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UriL-- It sounds like your grades are being weighted based on difficulty/importance...am I right? The same thing sort of happened at my high school with honors/AP classes. I'm not sure exactly how to convert it... An A is worth 4 points, a B is worth 3, a C 2, a D 1, and an F 0. You add up your points, then divide it by the number of classes. I hope that helps. Anyway, I think they're pretty understanding with international students. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    While that is how most colleges do it, at my high school they average the percentage grades than determine the 4 point score from that. Also, some schools have a modifier to GPA do to having more difficult coursework: by average is about a ninety, but last I checked I had a 4.2 GPA.

UriL, I'd probably just leave the GPA blank (or fill it in with a note saying that 4 point GPAs aren't given in your country), and let them figure out how to handle it from your transcript.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the answers..
    well then thats not great for me.. but will be ok I guess..

Anyways, I am finishing up everything I got everything ready.. and
    tommrow mornning ill head over to the mail office and send it a way..
    I am just wondering So I don't end up completely foolish
    I am suposed to send it to this adress, right?

Ringling College of Art and Design
    2700 North Tamiami Trail
    Sarasota, FL 34234-5812

do I add application # or is my name enough?

Last edited by UriL; December 24th, 2007 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by UriL View Post
    Thanks for the answers..

I am just wondering So I don't end up completely foolish
    I am suposed to send it to this adress, right?

Ringling College of Art and Design
    2700 North Tamiami Trail
    Sarasota, FL 34234-5812

do I add application # or is my name enough?
    Your name is good enough, and I think you need to add "Admissions Office" into the address, but not sure if that's super important or not.....
    Good luck! XD Your portfolio looks good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got the acceptance letter for pre-college today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats meloncov

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats meloncov
    Thanks, though considering that they didn't require a transcript or a portfolio, I wasn't all that worried.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok I have another dumb question as alwas..

My dad brought a bank statement (since ill be applying to scad as backup and they require this at this stage..) I Was wondering if I should alrdy send it in to ringling, or will it just make me send it over again?

thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bottom line in terms of SATs, Grades, GPA, Standardized tests, ACTs, Honor roll, School accomplishments, if your portfolio is good, none of any of that stuff matters; you're getting in. If your portfolio is subpar and the rest of it is pretty high (dedication) you're probably getting in. If, however, you're involved in extracurricular activities (leadership, student government, community service, anything outside of school where you strive to better yourself) then you'll get a rather large boost as to whether they take you... and if your portfolio was already good, you're probably getting scholarship money.

Also, because the school is actually linked up fairly well with Conceptart.org, listing the workshops as activities is a pretty good idea (I listed 'em on mine). Most of the teachers know about this site and will look upon it favorably.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    bottom line in terms of SATs, Grades, GPA, Standardized tests, ACTs, Honor roll, School accomplishments, if your portfolio is good, none of any of that stuff matters; you're getting in. If your portfolio is subpar and the rest of it is pretty high (dedication) you're probably getting in. If, however, you're involved in extracurricular activities (leadership, student government, community service, anything outside of school where you strive to better yourself) then you'll get a rather large boost as to whether they take you... and if your portfolio was already good, you're probably getting scholarship money.
    Is there a place in the online application for mentioning the Student Government work? I was part of of Student Gov. while at my community college and I also held a position for a term (secretary). If it doesn't automatically show up in my transcript or elsewhere, then I'd definitely to know where I'm supposed to mention it. I haven't started the online application, so I don't really know what to expect. I think I read that you can work on it and save it before actually sending it in, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah -ha. I applied via paper so I can't really help ya there.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesecakeBree View Post
    Is there a place in the online application for mentioning the Student Government work? I was part of of Student Gov. while at my community college and I also held a position for a term (secretary). If it doesn't automatically show up in my transcript or elsewhere, then I'd definitely to know where I'm supposed to mention it. I haven't started the online application, so I don't really know what to expect. I think I read that you can work on it and save it before actually sending it in, right?
    You could work it into your essay if there is no better place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I seem to remember filling out a separate sheet of all of my extracurricular activities/awards... Are you sure that it's not required as part of the application?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I sent my application like 10 minutes ago, yay!
    now the waiting game begins

I hope there wont be any troulbe with the packege arriving during christmas
    vacation? oh well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

vacation? oh well
    Best of luck! I'm sure the application will get through okay; you've given it plenty of time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I seem to remember filling out a separate sheet of all of my extracurricular activities/awards... Are you sure that it's not required as part of the application?
    In the online application under "activities and employment" it says: 1. Please list any activities, awards, travel, hobbies, etc, that are pertinent to your application:

Is what what you're thinking of? I found I could view the whole application before actually starting to fill it out. (Here.) There doesn't seem to be any special place to mention student gov. except to list it under other activities.

Oh, and part of it asks what other schools I'm applying to. I'm not applying to anywhere else except Ringling, will that hurt my chances at all? Is it better to show that other schools are interested in me or not?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

vacation? oh well

Best of luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congratulations Meloncov and good luck UriL! The waiting game is a long and brutal one. May you all survive. But your portfolio looked great, I can't wait to hear all the application results.

CheesecakeBree, that's probably the best spot to mention your SGA work.

I'm not applying to anywhere else except Ringling, will that hurt my chances at all? Is it better to show that other schools are interested in me or not?
    I doubt it will hurt your chances - if anything it'll show Ringling you have a high probability of enrolling, should you be accepted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't apply to any other schools, got in with honors so I don't think it matters.

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.
    .SKETCH.
    .CGHUB PAGE.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CheesecakeBree View Post
    Oh, and part of it asks what other schools I'm applying to. I'm not applying to anywhere else except Ringling, will that hurt my chances at all? Is it better to show that other schools are interested in me or not?
    I think schools ask more for there own reference than anything. If lots of people are going to school X instead of Ringling, they know there image is weaker than school X's, and they need to figure out why.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the answers nilaffle, panda, and Meloncov.

I guess I should get to work on the application and portfolio now. Enough talk, time for work, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Um...

I found out today that I got accepted to Pratt MWP. Yay...'course... it's merely a backup if Ringling should fall through. Unlikely...but...I'm still anxiously waiting....=P

Sketchbook~Any comments much appreciated

Also known as Magamish, not to mention countless other "Maga" variants. It's an addiction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats magami!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good luck to everyone who has already applied.
    I'm running behind... but plan to complete my app v soon

In my sketchbook (linked in my signature) I've posted 6 images that I'm planning to include in my portfolio... I'd love to get any/all of your opinions on them!
    note: it's in today's (12/29) entry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zeitgeist View Post
    good luck to everyone who has already applied.
    I'm running behind... but plan to complete my app v soon

In my sketchbook (linked in my signature) I've posted 6 images that I'm planning to include in my portfolio... I'd love to get any/all of your opinions on them!
    note: it's in today's (12/29) entry.
    You should have no problem getting in IMO. It's people like you that I'm afraid of competing with .

Good luck.

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3