Page 14 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 114 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    -First post-

I'm another Ringling hopeful for 2008! I actually lurked in the 2007 hopefuls thread before, and it was a huge help to me in decision making (so thanks to everyone who shared there). I'm glad I checked back to find this thread for '08. I decided I'd finally join in, too.

So, to introduce myself: my name is Bree Lundberg, and I'm planning to apply for Illustration. I already have a 2-year General AA Degree from a local community college. I graduated with honors and a GPA of 3.8 back in December, and I've been taking some extra art classes to keep myself working in the meantime. I was home schooled throughout my early education and high school, so I dual-enrolled and fulfilled my high school credits at the same time as my college ones.

I visited the Ringling campus a couple months ago and it seemed wonderful. (At least what I got to see of it! I didn't get to look in the illustration building, supposedly they were painting the floors...?) I also spoke with an admissions counselor, she was extremely helpful and nice.

From my visit and everything I've read and researched, I have a pretty good idea of what Ringling expects in your portfolio, what else I'll need to apply, etc. But I do have some more questions that came to mind while I spent the better part of an hour reading through this thread. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

1) Someone mentioned here that they won't accept transfer credits with grades lower than a B. When I talked to the counselor, she looked over my unofficial transcript (I have one C in College Algebra) and she didn't say anything about that. In fact, she even told me all my liberal arts would be fine. So, is this just rumor?

2) Do transfer students get better pick of dorms? I seem to remember reading this on their site, but someone mentioned earlier about something different.

3) Is the first year really such a joke? I've read elsewhere that the core classes are not at all challenging. Although I'm a transfer student, the admissions counselor said I might not have what I need to skip much in terms of art classes. (The couple of classes I would still need aren't offered at my community college!)

4) For the art classes that I will be able to transfer, is there anything special I have to show in my portfolio for them? i.e. a certain number of examples from each class or to label them differently?

5) I noticed a lot of hopefuls on here are coming straight from high school. I'm 20 now, and I'll be 21 by next fall. Is this an average age? I don't want to be out of place, especially if I get stuck in freshmen year.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    cheesecake...
    question five.
    im 26. from what i've gathered... there's a lot of students straight out of HS... but plenty of people in their 20s. I doubt you'll really feel outa place... and if you do... just flash your "i can purchase alcohol license" and you should make friends pretty fast!

just kidding... you should be right as rain.

Thanks
    My first post as well.

Ringling is on my short-list for 2008, illustration. Thanks everyone for the great information in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesecakeBree View Post
    5) I noticed a lot of hopefuls on here are coming straight from high school. I'm 20 now, and I'll be 21 by next fall. Is this an average age? I don't want to be out of place, especially if I get stuck in freshmen year.
    I'm 33! Or maybe 34, I'm not really sure and I don't want to know. If you're out of place, I'll be out of this world or out of my mind. Or something.

- Matthew Durante

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zeitgeist View Post
    cheesecake...
    question five.
    im 26. from what i've gathered... there's a lot of students straight out of HS... but plenty of people in their 20s. I doubt you'll really feel outa place... and if you do... just flash your "i can purchase alcohol license" and you should make friends pretty fast!

just kidding... you should be right as rain.
    Oh right, I'm sure I'll get real popular fast being legal!

But seriously, thanks for your reply. Since my only college experience has been at the community college, I wasn't sure what I should expect. It's nice to know there's a good number of 20's and up. I usually get along best with people my age or older.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDurante View Post
    My first post as well.

Ringling is on my short-list for 2008, illustration. Thanks everyone for the great information in this thread.

I'm 33! Or maybe 34, I'm not really sure and I don't want to know. If you're out of place, I'll be out of this world or out of my mind. Or something.

- Matthew Durante
    Matt - I'd hang with you!

Thanks
    Welcome CheesecakeBree! I'm a 25-year-old transfer sophomore in the CA program, I started this year. I'll try to answer some of your questions.

2) Define "better pick." Do you mean transfers get to pick their housing, or they are placed in better housing? I did not have an opportunity to choose housing; where Residence Life placed me is where I am. But because of my age I was placed in Family Housing, which is basically apartment-style living. Most transfers I know were either placed in the Quadrangle (another apartment complex) or the Cove (dorm)... though I know of one transfer who was placed in a typically traditional-age residence hall. Generally I think Ringling tries to match you up with a roommate of a similar age (my roommate's 27), unless you get a single.

4) Doubtful. I submitted my portfolio before I even knew I had the option of transferring credits for core. A lot of my pieces were done outside of the classroom. As it turned out all my core-related credits transferred and the only class I have to take is 3D Design. I think the CA department was more concerned with how strong my drawing abilities were overall (especially figure), rather than what sort of exercises I completed in class. They will look at the skill you exhibit in your work as well as your transcript.

5) You will definitely not be out of place. Many students here have previous college experience, and some of us are much much older. There are a ton of 20-somethings. Don't worry about fitting in.

That goes for you too MDurante, there are other students in their 30's. Age doesn't matter. We're all one big happy family.

Thanks
    I don't feel like CORE is a joke this week... I have to make a sculpey skeleton, finish making a sculpey toy & package it, do a painting, complete an 18" x 24" charcoal drawing, and I have an art history test next Thursday! It's a busy week!

CORE kind of goes in phases. There will be some weeks where I don't have much homework and others where I have quite a load (like this week). I'm sure it's not as challenging as future years will be, but it's nice to have a year to settle in and improve. I'm probably sounding like a hypocrite to Nilah right now because every time I see her I whine about how I wish I was a sophomore.

Thanks
    Thanks thesinfulsaint and nilaffle! That's good to hear that I probably won't need specific examples from my previous classes. I took Drawing 1 during my first semester at the community college, which was back in 2003 so I'd be embarrassed to show examples of classwork from so long ago. If it's just based on demonstrating that those classes taught me something, then I can definitely show that.

When the admissions counselor looked over my transcript, she mentioned that the classes I'm missing that I'd need to possibly skip the first year would be 3D Design, Color Theory, and another advanced and/or figure drawing class. The only one of those available at my community college is 3D... I could always try to see if one of my professors would be willing to do independent studies for the others, but I don't know if it's worth it (or even possible). I'd love to get a good foundation with Ringling's core classes, but at the same time, I want to save money and save time.

If some of my classes will transfer and fill the core requirements, and some don't, will I just end up doing what core classes I'm missing for the first semester? I don't want to end up spending an extra semester there just to do one or two classes. I guess I'm making this a little more complicated than it should be, but I feel like such a college-moron! Neither of my parents went to college, and community college was far from a "real" college experience. It's a little overwhelming and my situation is unique making all sorts of new problems. Thanks everyone for your help so far, though.

Thanks
    Hi CheesecakeBree like Nilah said, you won't feel out of place if you're 18, 20 or 30 somethin - there is wide range of age differences in CA and illustration alone not to mention the entire student body. I'm a transfer sophomore as well, but I was ready to go in as a freshman knowing that the experience would be great. You may be able to bypass most if not all core class, but you have to make sure that addmissions honors you existing credits. If you can, take a figure drawing and sculpture class. Sculpture with be considered 3d design and the figure class will hopefully get in as a sophomore - no guarantees tho. It can get overwhelming, but once you're in the hard part is not taking the smile off your face when you get here and graduate.

BTW Saint enjoy your CORE classes cause it gets hectic sophomore year ha, ha.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah View Post
    If you can, take a figure drawing and sculpture class. Sculpture with be considered 3d design and the figure class will hopefully get in as a sophomore - no guarantees tho.
    First off, hi CheesecakeBree! Nice to meet a fellow Ringling hopeful! And second, I think it was I that mentioned you had to have a C or better for transfer credits, and like I said, that was something I heard, but I found this on the website:

"If you have taken Liberal Arts courses at another college/university, those courses will be evaluated by the academic advisors in the Office of Advising, Records, and Registration Services to determine if they meet the degree requirements for the Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree. The number of Liberal Arts classes completed has no bearing on your class level. Only studio classes determine your class level. Students enrolling with an Associate of Arts or a Bachelor of Arts degree from a regionally accredited college or university will be considered to have met the Liberal Arts requirements for the BFA degree. Students with an International Baccalaureate diploma may be given credit for individual liberal arts courses if they score 5 through 7 on the IB Higher-Level Examinations.

Transfer Credits

Transfer credit is granted for college-level courses earned at a regionally or NASAD accredited institution of higher education for which you received a grade of “C” or better that meet a course requirement for your degree program. Grades do not transfer and do not affect your Ringling College of Art and Design GPA. Studio credits are evaluated for transfer credit by the Office of Admissions. Liberal Arts credit is evaluated by the Office of Advising, Records and Registration "

Hope that helps!

Anyway, a big Thanks artmessiah! You just helped me figure out what to take next semester at my community college ! I was thinking of taking sculpting, but now it's a definite. Although I've already taken figure drawing. So far I'm thinking of taking a liberal arts writing class, art history 1, and....well, still trying to figure that one out.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    ... "Transfer credit is granted for college-level courses earned at a regionally or NASAD accredited institution of higher education for which you received a grade of “C” or better that meet a course requirement for your degree program. Grades do not transfer and do not affect your Ringling College of Art and Design GPA. Studio credits are evaluated for transfer credit by the Office of Admissions. Liberal Arts credit is evaluated by the Office of Advising, Records and Registration " ...
    Thanks for looking that up, copperfire!

Quote Originally Posted by artmessiah View Post
    ... I'm a transfer sophomore as well, but I was ready to go in as a freshman knowing that the experience would be great. You may be able to bypass most if not all core class, but you have to make sure that addmissions honors you existing credits. If you can, take a figure drawing and sculpture class. Sculpture with be considered 3d design and the figure class will hopefully get in as a sophomore - no guarantees tho. It can get overwhelming, but once you're in the hard part is not taking the smile off your face when you get here and graduate. ...
    I've taken two pottery courses and admissions said I might be able to put them towards a 3D credit depending on what examples I had to show. I've also taken two drawing courses already, but I was told I would need another one on in addition to those. The community college doesn't offer anything beyond Drawing 2 (which was basically a figure drawing class), and color theory isn't offered at all. I'm not sure what else I can do beyond seeing if I could get a professor to do independent study for me (like I mentioned before).

I just didn't know if it was common for transfers to end up as freshmen or not. But if it's not a huge deal, then I can make peace with it.

Thanks
    Betsy: Hahahahah of course I don't think you're hypocritical. But I can't wait to see your reaction to sophomore year.

I think the core curriculum's one of those things that you really don't appreciate right away. Maybe in a year or a few years you'll start to see the benefit. In my case, if it weren't for my year spent at the Art Institute of Washington, I probably wouldn't be here.

Quote Originally Posted by CheesecakeBree
    I just didn't know if it was common for transfers to end up as freshmen or not.
    It's actually less common for transfers to enter as sophomores. I think it says somewhere on the site that transfers are accepted as freshmen - you're only bumped to sophomore if you've completed a good portion of first-year classes and the department thinks your portfolio is strong enough (I don't know the details of the illustration process, but the computer animation dept. is pretty critical of this). If you're able to knock out some courses in community college then that's great. But don't worry about having to reach some sort of level of completion by the time you enroll. Even if you have just a couple of transfer credits, that's putting you ahead of the game.

Thanks
    Hi y'all I just want to share my experience as almost attending Ringling as a sophomore illustration transfer. I pretty much took all my art classes at my local community college really made sure I spoke to the great folks in admission about my classes and what I was covering and just tried to show my strong points. I was told it depends on the portfolio and what skills you had established besides having the credits. For illustration I was told figure drawing is a must to show your familiar with the human body and showing familiarity with working with various mediums and familiarity with some concepts covered in core year is important as well.
    I tried to get constant advice and feedback on what I needed to show, also kept them updated on the classes I was taking and found out what they suggested to take next(which ended up being every art class my college had).
    Well I didn't get to go this fall and was pretty pissed but I am thinking about applying again for next fall if I can get my immigration issues straightened soon. By the way I am 27 now and will be 28 next fall hopefully I will be there. I know the info on transferring has been said before by Nilaffle and Artmessiah, just wanted to add my two cents.

Page 14 of 166 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 114 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3