Ringling College of Art and Design 2008 Hopefuls

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ringling College of Art and Design 2008 Hopefuls

This is a thread for anyone who is planning on applying to Ringling for the 2008-2009 school year.

I'm a recent high school graduate from Chandler, Arizona. I will be attending this upcoming school year at a local community college taking care of some liberal arts courses so I have more time for studio classes at Ringling.

I just finished Ringling's precollege program yesterday. An overall great experience. I learned a great deal from both the faculty and teaching assistants. Anyhow, I took some photos of the campus while I was there; you can view them here:http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x44/Jollesslauds/.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jollesslauds View Post
    This is a thread for anyone who is planning on applying to Ringling for the 2008-2009 school year.
    hey Jollesslauds, I'm going to apply for the game art and design course in sept. I've never actually been to sarasota... so thanks for uploading the pictures you took

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm more of a 2009 hopeful while I finish my associates in Fine Arts. Maybe, I'm not set yet. It's the closest but tuition is a complete and utter ouch. But since this is the second time I've debated Ringling I think it may stick.

Oh, and I'm pretty much set on animation although illustration is my backup. I'm more interested in 2d although 3d is the standard.

Last edited by poisonedsodapop; July 25th, 2007 at 05:15 PM. Reason: added something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    asdkjasldjkalskdjlas.
    The 2008 threads have begun!
    I may or may not be a 2008 Ringling hopeful. I'm definitely a 2008 college hopeful.
    Hello!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone,

I'm Once, I have also just finished up the Ringling Precollege program and took the animation and figure sculpture electives. I'm a 2008 hopeful for the illustration program. I found out animation doesn't tickle my fancy, but ringling sure does. I'm going into my senior year, crazy senior year, filled to the brim with art courses of course.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Oh wow. The 2008 thread is here already and it's off to a good start.

I'm a 2008 hopeful for RCAD's Computer Animation program. I'm currently living in Woodbridge, Virginia. I graduated in mid 2006 and have been attending college here for the past year or so. I'm more of a "creepy" lurker than an actual poster, myself. I'll be sure to read most of this thread, though I may not post much.

I'll be sure to start a sketchbook of my works here pretty soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya i just finish precollege too it was really fun and i learned alot im going to be a senior this year in high school so i will aplly for the next year soon im pretty sure i will get in.can't wait to go back to ringling everyone is so awesome and enviorment there was awesome too i miss it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm about to be a senior, and I'll be applying to Ringling as a safety school. The main attraction for me is the new Game Art + Design major. But their Illustration program looks pretty good too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Odyism
    The main attraction for me is the new Game Art + Design major. But their Illustration program looks pretty good too.
    Make sure that on your application you mark that you're interested in GAD, not Illustration because there are a limited number of slots and you'll have to turn in your portfolio and application earlier. You can always switch to Illustration later. Just a thought.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by afromadness369x View Post
    ya i just finish precollege too it was really fun and i learned alot im going to be a senior this year in high school so i will aplly for the next year soon im pretty sure i will get in.can't wait to go back to ringling everyone is so awesome and enviorment there was awesome too i miss it
    I miss it as well, I didn't want to leave precollege..it was a very sad day when we had to leave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a hopeful. Ringling is one of the schools I have in my sites along with Sarah Lawrence, SVA and Pratt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm hopeful. Actually, I'm wishful. Its just so dam expensive.

$12.5k per semester + fees. That's over 25K a year (over $100,000 for all 4 years). So now I have to decide whether or not to sell my soul to corporate america and drown myself in debt for the rest of my natural life.

(I know I'm being dramatic. I just hate that the only school I want to go to, I can't go to.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, all. It's nice to see that this thread's off to a good start.

For those of you who are interested, here's a list of cities where National Portfolio Day will be taking place: http://www.npda.org/events.html. Though the site doesn't specify which events Ringling will participate in, they attended most last year.

During precollege, an admissions represenative explained that during National Porfolio Day, faculty from various art colleges will critique prospective students on their work for their application portfolios. It was highly recommended that we attend one near our city.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just want to know actually a little bit about the skill level of the average artist in the school. *Points to SB in Signature* Do you think I would fit in on that level?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oki View Post
    I just want to know actually a little bit about the skill level of the average artist in the school. *Points to SB in Signature* Do you think I would fit in on that level?

Oki, you should be fine. Just remember to include lotz of observational pieces in your Ringling portfolio - stuff like life drawings, figure drawings, still life, etc. Try and stay away from the manga, anime, comicbook or cartoony stuff. Two or three original pieces are fine and encouraged, but they really like to see stuff drawn from life.

BTW someone should copy and post the Ringling criteria from the first page of the Ringling 07 or 06 threads and post it somewhere in this thread to have a good understanding of what the school wants to see in students.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also.. About still life the admissions at ringling was telling us about an uh-mazing still life concept and how to be original forget the fruit..forget the cow skull forget the damn flowers. This still life he was talking about was that a kid glued a fly to a stick, took some turf of grass, a staple and positioned it so it looked like the stapler was chasing after the fly trying to eat everything in sight..I thought that was pretty cool. Also..if you do anime and plan to put it in your portfolio, just don't. You won't be accepted. As one teacher in the illustration department says..Theres a whole country that can do it better than you, so why should you do it.

Last edited by Onceuponastar; August 8th, 2007 at 11:26 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THE NEW STUDENT CENTER
    Ringling School of Art and Design's most ambitious construction project in its 74-year history is now taking shape! Our new 5-story Student Center is fully under construction and scheduled to open in the fall of 2006.

Destined to be a dynamic environment for learning, living, and creating, the new Student Center will provide 80,000 square [url=foot of additional office, classroom, and residential space.

On the first floor will be the Office of Admissions, a fitness center [complete with locker rooms and shower facilities], and dance/exercise studio, "The Fishbowl" [student lounge/ recreation area], School mailroom, as well as other student activity and meeting spaces. In addition, a 300-seat exhibition hall is being designed which can be used in an auditorium-type configuration, or divided into four individual classroom spaces.

The second floor will house the Office of Financial Aid, the Bursar's Office, the Office of Student Life, the Center for Career Services, the Academic Resource Center, and will contain a variety of conference rooms, student meeting spaces, a commuter lounge, media rooms, and more!

The third floor will be home to the Department of Computer Animation including classrooms for Traditional and 3D Animation and Game Art and Design, as well as faculty offices, and open computer labs.

Floors four and five will be home to 96 students. Each residence will include a private shower/bathroom. On each floor there are two laundry room facilities and three student lounges.

This exciting new space will be dedicated to the academic, professional, and social development of all Ringling School students and will create additional opportunities for collaboration between students, faculty, and staff.

THE NEW GAME ART & DESIGN MAJOR

Ringling School will debut a new Game Art & Design major in the fall of 2007.

On average, half of Ringling School's Computer Animation graduates have accepted employment in the computer gaming industry. Now, Game Art & Design majors will have the option of targeting their demo reels and portfolios to this $10-billion business.

Students will explore the challenges of creating visual art for gaming audiences and develop a game-based senior thesis as an entry into the world of interactive entertainment.

The Game Art & Design major brings Ringling School's feature film aesthetic to games. You'll begin by studying the basics of game design – meaningful play, player interaction and options for creating and refining game content. You'll go on to study multiple narrative, interactive narrative and character structures in relationship to gaming environments. You'll also understand the influence of games on society and their enormous potential to educate as well as entertain. Above all, Game Art & Design is more than creating entertainment. It's creating an experience.

The following info was taken from the old Ringling 2006 Thread

Quote:

random facts/info/tips etc.

-The number of freshmen is about 400 with a total of about 1100-1200 students
    -70% of students recieve some form of financial aid
    -Computer animation major is a little more selective then other majors
    -Ringling prepares you for 3d animation by teaching you traditional first
    -MUST make half of your portfolio life drawings, and FINISH them. They frown upon sketches
    -Ringling seems to like figures and self portraits a lot
    -Be careful submitting a portfolio with really light shading.
    -Ringling puts AP credit towards electives.
    -To send in your art work scan it in or take slides. If you make a DVD or CD make it really easy to find the work because the faculty looking at it may become grumpy and not give your work the time it deserves.

The following info was taken from the old Ringling 2005 Thread

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sula_nebouxi
    Official requirements:
    Ringling requires a portfolio of artwork which ranges from 10 pieces(if you're in high school) and 15 (if you're transferring). In addition 2 pieces from each studio course must be included if you want credit for it. At least half of the artwork must be done from direct observation. Ringling also requires an essay and 2 letters of recommendation. You need to have a high school GPA of at least 2.0, not sure about college GPA if you're transferring, but I'm guessing it's the same. SAT scores are not required, but they may help if they are high. An essay is also required on one of the following subjects:
    1. The creation of art is the result of many influences. Who or what has most influenced your work? In what way?
    2. Discuss your goals as an artist or designer. How will attending Ringling School of Art and Design help you achieve your goals?
    3. Discuss a local, national or international issue that is important to you. How would you address it in a work of art?
    4. Describe an important experience that has shaped you as a person and as an artist.

Unofficial requirements(Or probably what they like to see, in no order)

-Figure studies and still lifes, lots of them. When Ringling means observation from life they mean this. -Don't ignore composition in still lifes, they can turn a dull piece into something really interesting to look at.
    -Be very careful in including 3d work, only include it if your 2d skills are top notch and even then only include a few, and even then still, only include it if it kicks ass.
    -Be diverse. Include a little bit of everything, by which I mean different mediums. Paintings, charcoal, pencil, etc...
    -I've heard from a person who got in that a representative from Ringling said they like to see motion studies, and that you have some understanding of animation or movement (ie walk cycles, the bouncing ball)
    -No storyboards. Stick to observational drawings.
    -Scanning drawings can be a bad thing. Use slide film or a good digital camera in good lighting.
    -It is possible that attending a college prep/precollege program will increase your chances of getting in. The official requirements stated that they like to see that you have taken a bunch of studio art and art history courses prior to going to Ringling.
    -Plan to spend LOTS of time with your drawings, expect to spend at the very least 6hrs on each one. It's grueling but the amount of effort will show in your work.
    -Your current GPA and portfolio are key to getting in. If you have a very high GPA(3.5 and up) you can probably get by with a decent portfolio, if you show potential. But if your GPA is low(between 2.0 and 3.0), your portfolio must be fantastic to offset the GPA. GPA's are important because they show that you are willing to work hard to improve. And also because academics are also important to Ringling.
    -Your essay is also very important. It may tell a bit about you that your drawings cannot. To a lesser extent it also shows that you can put words together to form a sentence . Your essay should have a sense of eagerness to work hard, humility, no arrogance, and don't say something like "If I don't get in that's fine, I can do it on my own". They might think "OK, next!".
    -Ringling wants to see a few things above all else: Potential, drive, creativity, skill, and your personality shine through your portfolio.
    -Not sure if this matters too much but, do your drawings on a nice unwrinkled sheet of paper with no rips or tears or whatnot.
    -Showing contrast in drawings is a must. Have a large range of values in your drawings. It's never good to just have grays in your drawings. Include dark blacks and bright whites.
    -Play to your strengths. If you have weak figure studies, try not to include too many of them. Instead include what you are good at. Just don't neglect the observational art.
    -Show only your best. Including bad or relatively average drawings can hurt your chances. It kinda gives a rushed feeling and they may think you aren't consistent with your work. Even if you have very few pieces, it's better than filling it out with mediocre work.
    -Try not to wait until the last minute to send in the portolio, while they may be lenient on this, it doesn't hurt not to take any chances.
    -Quick gestures may be a good idea to include. Maybe a large sheet full of them.
    -Ringling likes to see creative works alongside the observational stuff. Show them what you are interested in. Remember, this portfolio is supposed to show who you are.
    -Ringling, and most other art schools for that matter, don't want to see comic/manga style work. It's hard to be original with those kinds of styles. They also do not want to see stuff drawn from photos. Usually a trained eye can notice whether or not something has been photographed beforehand.

Random Info: (Also in no order)
    -You should get your response from Ringling between the end of February and mid-March. It seems to depend on how many have applied and when and if you get weeded out(sorry if that sounded harsh).
    -It doesn't really matter if your drawings are done on large paper or small paper. Whatever you're comfortable with.
    -Solid foundation in art goes a long way. Understanding the human body will help tremdously in creating not just realistic works but believable ones.
    -You can call the computer animation department to see if you have been accpeted. Sometimes they can check for you. Or they might give in from all the requests
    -To be eligible for the Presidential scholarship(all expenses paid) you must complete your application and submit your FAFSA by March 1st. It goes to one person from each major and depends on your entrance portfolio. It only goes to the best.
    -Unconfirmed: You can reduce your tuition by working as a Resident Advisor in the dorms. By doing this you do not have to pay for housing. That's $5000 less each year you have to pay.
    -Freshmen are required to have a meal plan, after freshmen year you do not have to have one. This is because Freshmen dorms do not have a kitchen.
    -FEWS is a great extra-curricular activity. Kids get together and just draw live models. Perfect for those who want to improve their skills.
    -There are LOTS of scholarships out there. Pretty much every major corporation has one(it's a nice tax write off) Target, McDonald's, Taco Bell etc...It is possible to pay off a major part of your tuition with just scholarships. Check fastweb.com, lots of scholarships are available for those that just graduated high school and those who are undergraduates in college. Hell...I found a scholarship just for atheists.
    -Word is, the Keating Freshmen dorms are full of fresh out of high school partiers. It will be loud and hard to concentrate on work there. Look into "family housing" or check to see if you can transfer into the Quads or Bayou dorms. Quads are also considered to be the nicest of the dorms so, if you're transferring in as a freshman and you have transfer credits and you are older than a traditional freshman, you have a good chance of getting in there. The Cove is supposedly quiet but it's quite a walk to the main campus.

Hmm...I think that pretty much sums up the last Ringling thread. Just remember to do your best and don't ever give up! Oh, and if you don't get in immediately, don't worry. Get on the waiting list and usually a couple people who got accpeted choose not to attend. It seems the wait list position can be anywhere from 3 to 10. Wow this took quite a while to write...well...anyways good luck...we'll need it.

Ringling Students on Conceptart.org
    Advocate of Fate
    Hett15
    Sula_nebouxi
    EccoXile
    RNS
    Jayneko
    JesterCapp
    Sartell
    Chicken and IceCream
    McLean
    Red_Rook
    Oogiboogi
    Amaranthine
    Ringling 2007 hopefuls
    thesinfulsaint ACCEPTED
    rblitz7 ACCEPTED
    Richter ACCEPTED
    artmessiah ACCEPTED
    StxSwanson ACCEPTED
    Atsurou88 ACCEPTED
    Lahlah ACCEPTED
    Nilaffle ACCEPTED
    Gbertek ACCEPTED
    Panda
    Tamte
    Lieu

Last edited by Onceuponastar; August 20th, 2007 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, I'll give you a couple more.
    Me,
    and also Tamte.

Quote Originally Posted by Onceuponastar View Post
    Advocate of Fate
    Hett15
    Sula_nebouxi
    EccoXile
    RNS
    Jayneko
    JesterCapp
    Sartell
    Chicken and IceCream
    McLean
    Red_Rook
    Oogiboogi
    Amaranthine
    Ringling 2007 hopefuls
    thesinfulsaint ACCEPTED
    rblitz7 ACCEPTED
    Richter ACCEPTED
    artmessiah ACCEPTED
    StxSwanson ACCEPTED
    Atsurou88 ACCEPTED
    Lahlah ACCEPTED
    Nilaffle ACCEPTED
    Gbertek ACCEPTED

Lake Hurwitz
    .HUMILITY.INSANITY.LOVE.

.PORTFOLIO.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good luck to all you 2008 hopefuls! And don't be nervous, just try your best! :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Teehee...I think it's cool that my post is still getting circulated . Good luck all!

PS. I really need to go back and see if that things needs revisions. It's been over 2 years since I wrote that lol.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was trolling around Facebook tonight and discovered a group for all us 2008 hopefuls: http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4277411555. The group is headed by an admissions office staff, so it should be a good source of information. On the discussion board, there's a list of the National Portfolio Day sites Ringling will be attending; be sure to check those out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *adds me*

Advocate of Fate
    Hett15
    Sula_nebouxi
    EccoXile
    RNS
    Jayneko
    JesterCapp
    Sartell
    Chicken and IceCream
    McLean
    Red_Rook
    Oogiboogi
    Amaranthine
    Ringling 2007 hopefuls
    thesinfulsaint ACCEPTED
    rblitz7 ACCEPTED
    Richter ACCEPTED
    artmessiah ACCEPTED
    StxSwanson ACCEPTED
    Atsurou88 ACCEPTED
    Lahlah ACCEPTED
    Nilaffle ACCEPTED
    Gbertek ACCEPTED
    Lieu ACCEPTED
    Ringling is awesome, guys

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lieu
    Ringling is awesome, guys
    Much agreed. You'll all love it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone know how important it is to have different mediums in your portfolio?
    All I have is a pencil and paper...

...and a wacom but I was told submitting digital stuff is a bad idea (plus I'm better with pencils than with a wacom).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it seems like... as long as it's traditional... and you focus on things like anatomy and perspective... you'll be fine.

but im sure they wouldn't mind variety... if possible.

im sure somebody that knows how to answer this question better will be along shortly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As long as your graphite pieces were strong, you'd be fine. Something demonstrating that you know color would probably help you, but you don't need expensive materials to be accepted. Just make sure that you show the full value scale, pay close attention to anatomy and perspective, and work from life. Figure drawing classes are really a life saver to otherwise mediocre portfolios, so do those if you can!

Digital work is discouraged... I would DEFINITELY not include anything 3D. I've heard it said that that actually works against you. If you have some strong 2D digital pieces, you could probably stick them in alongside your strong from-life traditional pieces. I wouldn't include more than 1 or 2 digital works.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks Zeit/Sin.

Everything in the portfolio will be from life, but I have no access to figure models so i'll have to improvise.

Gonne be applying for Illustration btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by thesinfulsaint View Post
    As long as your graphite pieces were strong, you'd be fine. Something demonstrating that you know color would probably help you, but you don't need expensive materials to be accepted. Just make sure that you show the full value scale, pay close attention to anatomy and perspective, and work from life. Figure drawing classes are really a life saver to otherwise mediocre portfolios, so do those if you can!

Digital work is discouraged... I would DEFINITELY not include anything 3D. I've heard it said that that actually works against you. If you have some strong 2D digital pieces, you could probably stick them in alongside your strong from-life traditional pieces. I wouldn't include more than 1 or 2 digital works.
    Actrually...I was told to put 3-D into my admissions portfolio by the teachers at ringling to show that I could do 3-D, and that was after I told them I was going to be applying for illustration...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceuponastar View Post
    Actrually...I was told to put 3-D into my admissions portfolio by the teachers at ringling to show that I could do 3-D, and that was after I told them I was going to be applying for illustration...

Do so at your own discretion. I would just include traditional media as much as possible, especially if you're applying for illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The reason that 3D is discouraged is because Ringling wants you to learn the programs their way. If you are using it in another way, you are reinforcing bad habits. There are people who get in with 3D in their portfolios, but I've heard it from the mouth of a Ringling official that it has hurt the outcome of a few otherwise OK portfolios. It's up to you if you want to put it in there, but again, IMO it's a bad idea.

Page 1 of 72 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 51 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4