Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Could anyone tell me what this is called?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts

    Could anyone tell me what this is called?

    I'm curious what this stuff is called? Gold leafing like stuff, the fancy squiggly stuff, theres a word for it but I have no Idea what it is, or what to search for.

    By the way this is a section from a painting by Mucha.

    Thank you,

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Art Nouveau Squiggly Things?
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

    Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    That might not get you much in a search, but "art nouveau ornament" should.
    BTW, Mucha's pattern books have been reprinted, I think by Dover.
    EDIT: Yup, here you go.

    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Thanked 57 Times in 45 Posts
    Aha!! the word just came to me, its filigree, I don't think its the actual term for that type of squiggly stuff when done on art, but used to define jewelery and embroidery and squiggly pattern stuff,

    Thanks seedling and elwell , art nouveau and ornament were good searches with some good reference, much appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I've always known it as 'scroll work'.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Similar Threads

  1. What is this style called?
    By aquatis in forum ART DlSCUSSION
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: September 26th, 2010, 04:39 PM
  2. SketchBook: The Art called 'Practice'!
    By niranjan in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 5th, 2009, 12:41 PM
  3. who is this by and what is it called
    By artfan1444 in forum ART DlSCUSSION
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: January 13th, 2008, 05:19 PM
  4. SketchBook: My so-called Art
    By Balooga in forum Sketchbooks
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: June 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
  5. Art: What is it called?
    By Drawing Flies in forum ART: PHOTOGRAPHY
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: November 4th, 2004, 11:43 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside

Developed Actively by
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook