View Poll Results: Am I improving and if so, how fast?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • hell no!

0 0%
  • no

1 10.00%
  • slowly but shurley

4 40.00%
  • yes

4 40.00%
  • amazingly fast

1 10.00%
Page 65 of 73 FirstFirst ... 15 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 LastLast
    Thanks
    some crits for the beetle I'm not sure how big it is. I think it needs a guy wiht a stick or something for scale, if its not satt on someone's arm some people could also help to tell a story.

for the spaceman i think it could be nice to see whats making the orange light. maby an alien drone or something. again for story. for the building if the guy lives in it it could maybe have some space shuttle stuff.
    keep it up
    Blog

DStraX

julrholm@gmail.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to julianR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Constipation lol!!
    I'm only looking at your most recent page, but when i looked at that undersea critter i thought it was large, without looking at the ground. Though i still think adding a figure would be a good idea, but what human walks around under the ocean? You might want to add something that does venture through the sea, but is also familiar to us, and a submarine would make it look MASSIVE! He looks pretty scared/threatened, so perhaps the Navy should be attacking him?
    His back leg on the left does need more solidification though, so i suggest that you block it in, but blur the lines maybe. Not to detract the focus from his face, but i think the lighting is too strong for an underwater scene; sunlight won't come down through the water with that much contrast, unless there's some high-tech drone tracking him
    I hope this isn't demoralizing, but i have another crit: the center focus, his face, is too blurry. Contrast is good, but definitely get his face sorted to the way you want it, and sharpen the lines/contrast there with less contrast/sharpness elsewhere around the image. Also, in my opinion, something that large should look scary. So find some reference man, google images of crayfish/general crustaceans/deep under sea fish etc, cuz that shit is scary shit for shure

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    awesome lighting on your last one i really love that

Thanks
    your pencils are looking good!
    and the light situation on those last two is sweet

Thanks
    Thank you all Love checking my sketchbook and reading comments in the morning.
    I will reply in the next update, but Its late and i need to get some sleep

here's a lame study working on backlight and what that does to the color and how reflected light works. Ill post some more intresting things tomorrow, Have a few sketchbook pages and should have some oilpaintings to show aswell by then

Attachment 1379952

edit:

and a tiny update on this thing
    Attachment 1379958

Thanks
    Spacedude is getting far better now in term of mood , storytelling and color scheme.
    On the sea creature, some sharper edges could be of some use on the face of the beast, easy checking by copying the whole image, filter sharpen edges and play with opacity and smooth erase to check different edges.
    Concerning the study it's good conerning face anatomy proportions... the colors and values look good too, if i squint my eyes, it looks perfectly readable, it only lacks refinement but that wasn't the point of the exercise so thumbs up!
    Last edited by Feil Magnus; December 11th, 2011 at 04:01 AM.

Thanks
    Thumbs up!
    I love the warm colours of the space one
    Maybe add some yellow-orange into the red?But its your call
    Good luck man

Thanks
    julianR I thing we'll add some birds or a guy with a stick later, jose has it now Really looking forward to seeing what he has done with it.
    I got a lot of crits that i needed to work on a story so I did read it below. think it almost makes sense now

Max Challie thanks dude, great crit! I wasn't actualy thinkin he was under water, but it really looks like it ill admit I was thinking more moonlight, or in a cave. But i think the underwater idea could work really well.
    I dont have it atm, my buddy JoseVega over on has. We are doing it as a colab over Dropbox. But I'll be shure to tell him

strange purple thanks glad you like it. my lighting usually sucks a rotten asshole... but im trying to get better at it

Aragah thanks a lot Im trying to make it look right

Feil Magnus thanks I dont have the bug file anymore, sendt it to JoseVega over on , We are doinga colab on it, so its his turn now.

Izene hehe tanks Yea I started out with a orange color on ut, but then I changed it to a red to make it see like a flare. but one of the guys in the crit center pointed out that flares need air to burn, do I ended up scraping that idea, and now its a goo shoter that lights the scene, so I Think ill add some orange light again^^

Thanks for the comments guys, highlight of my day

We had the portrait painting group again today, was actually supposed to do it on Saturday, but we couldn't get a model so ended up postponing it til Sunday.

My painting was pretty crap today , started out good, but I tried to fix it and it ended up just being muddy and flat.. well at least I learned to plan better
    Attachment 1380654

and Im still working on this thing, asked for crits over on the Crit center, and ended up pissing of some people I think :/ mostly my fault..
    ether way its coming along. still not shure if i like the new crop, but im trying it there way now

My idea now is: so there is this space guy standing on, i don't know, maybe the moon, and he has a gun that sprays super heated moon dust that becomes a sort of building material.. yea its pretty retarded but that's all i got
    Attachment 1380657

and some gun thumbs for the sprayer
    Attachment 1380659
    Last edited by DStraX; December 11th, 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Thanks
    Not retarded at all for the spacedude, i like it a lot too! (or maybe i'm retarded too haha), anyway the sense of depth is better and storytelling is fine, so let's go!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Feil Magnus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Feil Magnus thanks dude Ill post the finished vertion sooooon

Ill post some sketches later today Ill just have to scan them

quick test video.

Thanks
    haven t been on the forums for a while, but i can see now that you made lots of updates and sketches.
    The lines are getting more confident on all the anatomy studies, from the last time i checked out the sketchbook.

I see some pretty good foreshortening in some studies But what i can also see is that sometimes the characters proportions are bit off? (i dunno some look a little strange)

And in terms of mood i like those 2 black and white portrait studies.
    Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152742

"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value." (Arthur C Clarke)

Sketchbook Support Group Lite :
    PKHayden Purrdey Vardia beejazz
    If anyone wants to join send me a PM

Thanks
    very nice these two last wips, the bug one and the costumed guy, can't wait to see how they'll evolve
    and I also love all your traditional paintings
    If you want to kill someone, kill yourself.

asa's sketchbook
    tail designs
    Tail Designs Facebook

Thanks
    kyurai thanks man Im working on it
    asa thank you

Im trying to learn Sketchup once again. Just playing around with some ideas.
    Im almost killing this poor netbook with the rendering, hehe

Attachment 1387649

Attachment 1387650

Attachment 1387651

Attachment 1387652

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    it's been too long since i was last in here, you've made great progress dude that vehicle you did in sketchup is so cool and i also dig the an on the moon painting, very nice work on the values keep them coming
    DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

Thanks
    Thanks man, I will

Ill post some proper stuff soon, Been pretty lazy during Christmas , did finish an oilpainting for for a client so Im not strawing this month

Attachment 1397449

Page 65 of 73 FirstFirst ... 15 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 LastLast