Sketchbook: I want to get better ( Back from 2 years in the wilderness ) - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: I want to get better ( Back from 2 years in the wilderness )

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wednesday watercolour

CodeNothing : always a pleasure having you visit. I hadn't really thought about anything like doing paintings in somebody elses style. But I might just give it a go. I'll have to read up on Picasso and see where he was going in his Blue period. Thanks Phil

Tonights watercolour offering

Name:  watercolour 051207.jpg
Views: 1116
Size:  73.7 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Aardvarkphil is offline Stepping into the darkness and finding the next step isn't there Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thursday Oils

Tonights update I decided to darken the background to increase the contrast a little.

Name:  Picture2wk3.JPG
Views: 1096
Size:  53.2 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Saturday 6 Hour Lifedrawing

Bit of a mix up at the venue for life drawing. They didn't have a heater. So life drawing was cut short because the model was freezing.

First the quick poses all charcoal on A2
    Name:  sheet1.JPG
Views: 1084
Size:  36.8 KB

Left 15, Middle 20. Top right 20mins the shape just caught my eye. Bottom right 20mins. Charcoal and pastel on A2
    Name:  sheet2.JPG
Views: 1066
Size:  44.2 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tuesday life drawing

Tonights life drawing didn't go as planned. I was hoping to finish off last weeks picture. Last minute the model called off. Oh well, probably would of spoilt it anyway.

All drawings Graphite stick on A1.
    Quick poses 5 mins each. I think the one on the left is the best, also the first one i did.
    Name:  week11a.JPG
Views: 1049
Size:  44.0 KB

Long pose 30mins, break, 30mins. Should have gone onto another after 30mins rather than messing with this one.
    Name:  week11b.JPG
Views: 1036
Size:  31.9 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Poop

Don't know whats happening lately but motivation ain't high. This is poop. It was done in 30mins. Now I've scanned and put the images into the computer, it looks even more poop. I'm not going to make any excuses. But tomorrow I will try again to do a better job.

Name:  071220a.JPG
Views: 1037
Size:  40.6 KBName:  071220b.JPG
Views: 1075
Size:  38.4 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, maybe try yourself at drawing a portrait in 3/4 view (more from the side)
    Because it's less difficult to get the proportions tight than when you're looking straight on the face. (Straight on it's very obvious when the proportions are not the same on each side of the face) But by turning the head the eyes won't be the same size anymore so it's easier to oversee minor mistakes Also it will unflatten the picture!
    (for that you should also use a higher value scale (more contrast) like fro black to white insted of mid grey to a bit brighter grey, just youse a softer pencil (like up to 5B or even 6B for the darkest values! Dont be shy to really darken it up! gives much more depth!

Hope you get your motivation back!
    Just remember to smile when drawing

CHeers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man I see very good progression in your color stuff! I love your great sense of color in watercolors and I think you do very well with them.
    For the portraits I suggest you to change the approach to capture the essence of the face. You can see this very useful tutorial
    TUTORIAL

Keep it up, cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Long time no post

It's been ages I know. Been really busy sitting electrical qualification upgrades. Mostly done now. Anyway not so much time to darw and paint. So here are a few things I managed to squeeze in. All are oil on canvas.

Still need to add some detail and lettering on this one
    Name:  Paper Cup 2008 No.1.JPG
Views: 891
Size:  75.8 KB

Still need to finish the background
    Name:  Apple 2008 No.2.JPG
Views: 881
Size:  44.9 KB

Got loads to do on this too, only just started this one. Also this is the only painting of the bunch where I did an underdrawing, in raw umber.
    Name:  Hand 2008 No.3.JPG
Views: 870
Size:  64.3 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Ohaeri is offline Cranky? Yep, that's me. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That apple looks great! And I agree, your watercolors are wonderful. I particularly like the one of the agate.

Have you ever read "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain"? I really recommend it for learning how to do portraits. I was complete shite at drawing the human face and then I read it and it was like a light clicked on in my brain. My drawings have been better since. If you aren't already overwhelmed with books and the like I really recommend it. You can do some of the exercises online too: http://www.drawright.com/'

Just keep practicing and everything will click into place, I'm sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems to me that with your drawings, you're thinking too much 2D lines instead of 3D forms. What I mean by this is that you're drawing the lines you think you see, and using them to show the form, instead of drawing the form you actually see, and indicating it with the shadows and highlights.

When you draw, you should be thinking about the form before you even put pencil to paper. A good example of this not being done would be your portrait from Dec, '07. What I see is you dividing everything into wholes (like the eyebrows), then attempting to shade according to your lines, which often results in off shading. What you should be doing is using your lines to give you a guideline for your shading, unifying everything with these lines.
    (I realize the last pencil drawing in here is from last year, so if you feel you've improved in this since then, ignore the above.)

Something that would help you get a better understanding of form is blind contour drawing. Simply put, it's drawing from life, without looking at the paper, using only one, continuous line. Click here for more info. The idea of blind contour drawing is to teach your eyes and hand to act independently of your conscious brain that says "that looks like this" and to draw what you see is there, not what you know is there.

Your shading is pretty good, and the anatomy studies are coming along nicely, keep it up. And I agree, the watercolours are really nice to look at.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great progress in your works, I like the hand and I love the watercolor in reply #124!
    Keep it up, ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess I'm writing this down to make myself do it otherwise the lack of energy takes over and everything slips.

Ok guys been a little under the weather. Haven't had the energy for anything. Feeling a bit more energetic now. Just got my oil studies back, they've been on display all summer in a local art college. Will photograph them tomorrow and post them. Also I'm gonna start a new painting next week.

Also I finally got a Wacom a5 wide, Corel Essentials 3 and Photoshop CS2. So once I get my head around the coordination and all the shortcuts, I should start posting some digital stuff too.

Thanx Fanficbug, Lionsword and of course Dreamworker for your support.

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Long awaited update 26/09

Ok finally got my three studies, I exhibited at a local art college, back. They ain't "all that" but I was pretty happy with them. Also that they asked, after the 2 week show, if they could leave them up all summer.

All are oil on canvas pad roughly A3 size

Finished apple study
    Name:  finished apple.jpg
Views: 772
Size:  213.2 KB

Hand study
    Name:  finished hand study.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  270.7 KB

Glass and cloth study
    Name:  Glass and cloth study.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  237.9 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a quick update. Sorry no pics to add yet. Just to let anyone who's interested know what I'm upto now.
    I've started studying with Jonathan Hardesty, AKA MindCandyMan. I will be updating when I finish the various projects and drawings. Currently I'm doing my first Bargue copy. There have been loads of threads of people doing Bargues. So I don't won't to bore people with another. So just updates of finished work.
    Almost finished my first and learned a ton. Will try to condense my thought's about the process when it's posted.

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first ever Bargue

Time to call this bad boy finished. The more I look at it the more I can see that needs fixing. But I need to move on to the next Bargue and apply what I have leaned on this one. All done with an HB Pencil. Well actually used two complete pencils and into my third.

The biggest lesson I learned is spend more time on your block in. Gotta get it perfect. Otherwise everything that comes after won't be. I spent over 100 hours on this one all told. Far too long really for it's complexity. But it was great fun and I really enjoyed the journey. It also taught me how to handle a pencil. Gotta keep that sucker sharp too. Kneadable erasers are wonderful. I never knew they were so versatile. Anyway on to the good stuff

Name:  Bargue 1.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  84.8 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you posting again, Phil. Don't leave it so long next time, will you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick post. This is the setup for my next Bargue. Don't hold your breath for updates it's gonna take a goodly while.

Name:  Bargue 2-1.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  301.4 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, those Bargue studies look pretty damn accurate to me! I'll have to try these some time.

--
    Paper Nautilus
    Sketchblog
    CA Sketchbook
    Twitter
    DeviantArt page

If you want to live an interesting life, you're going to spend half of it being terrified.
    -Mary Hollinshead

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey phil!!!
    Your stuff is looking great!!!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WOW YER REALLY GREAT!!!!!!sooo MANY AWESOME PAINTINGS!!!!!!KEEP WITH THE GOODS!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. some nice work here...good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hy phil, what's up ? You have really nice stuff ! your color and proportions improved as hell ! Try to do more of everything ! selportraiiiits ! Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portrait Of Lipa

It's been awhile. I've been concentrating on getting fit, losing weight and getting my life into balance.

It seemed everytime I concentrated on something in my life something else suffered. Well no more things are working out nicely. Changing things a little at a time.

Anyways enough hogwash. Heres a portrait I've been working on. It's not finished yet. Also the photograph is a little washed out

HB on crappy sketchbook paper. But it's only one of many studies for some paintings. Ref was supplied by the awesome Phil Holland

Name:  PortraitOfLipa.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  196.7 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one Phil!
    Just been looking through your sketchbook and your drawing skills have improved dramatically!
    Well done mate. Keep up the hard work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watching your progression over 2 years time is amazing! Your figures have really improved, and your Bargues studies are spot on! I think you've inspired me to start one today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's may latest drawing. No where near finished, just blocking in the masses and major values. Not the greatest photo, I will have to make a jig for photographing my sketch books.

Name:  sketch091229.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  243.2 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice job with your pencil rendering so far.
    I love the portrait study on this page and
    the woman in the coat looks very promising.
    Can't wait to see an update of her from you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful and very fast improvment on this thread

-----------------------------------------
    My Sketchbook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...234403&page=10

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my latest sketch. HB on crappy sketchbook. Sorry, bad photography. Photo ref Parlami
    Name:  Cry Little Sister.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  107.2 KB

Bargue is my friend

Twitter and Facebook

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.