Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Thanks
    I wanted to drop by this thread with my two cents.

I'm currently planned to graduate from an art school around this same time next year. Now, if I knew then what I know now about the school, art in general and the industry, there would be no way in world I would have attended an art school. This isn't a knock on the school because I do appreciate everything I learned there, but here's just some insight I can offer from my experience so far.

First off, one of my biggest pet peeves is that curriculum's are more software-based than they are centered around building strong fundamentals and techniques. You're taught the ins and outs of industry software but most students lack the grounding to make good use out of it. It absolutely killed me when I was taking the fundamental courses and people would say things like, "oh its okay, later on when we're going digital, I'll use photoshop to do this or that." One of our jokes is that photoshop has a "make art" and "correct anatomy" button.

Secondly, as many people have already stated, about %90 of the progress is based on everything you do outside of classwork. Although I do believe there are probably some schools out there that have an intense enough workload to get you to the skill level you need to be when you graduate (FZD seems to come to mind), I would say a majority of schools aren't like that.

From what I can tell the greatest advantage when it comes to art school is the ability to network. All your teachers in some way, shape or form have been/are in the industry and so take advantage of it. It's also a good way to simply connect with other artists, although I'm quite bad at this myself being somewhat antisocial.

Depending on where you want to focus on in art I think my advice would be different. If it's simply concept art or illustration, I probably wouldn't recommend going to an art school. Echoing everyone else's words, you can learn almost everything entirely from the web and forums like this. If it's in game or animation, then I wouldn't be against it since knowing software is important as well. I would say though that 3D animation can be quite frustrating in its technical aspects.

I suppose the bottom line is that you gotta put in the hours, school or not.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to YangDaniel027 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    This was very helpful, I wanted to attend art school abroad (I'm from Venezuela) because I thought it would be nice to meet people from around the world and broaden my horizons, still, making less than $ 1000 a year doesn't really help, so it makes me less frantic to know that I've got a chance, even if I'm not able to attend art school :p

Thanks
    Add my 2 cents and make it 4..

If you're going to university, paying 10's of thousands of dollars if not hundreds for this piece of paper called a 'degree' with your name written on it, and maybe some social respect, whatever that may be...

UNLESS this course is what you a) love b) plan on doing something with in the future and c) love,

then you people are not wise. (to put without offending anyone) I also don't see a need to counter phrase myself in saying that university is not bad etc. Thats a given.

Knowledge is far a vast, and an institution is ONE of the ways in which you can acquire it not the ONLY. *please realize this*

Please for your own sake do not attend university unjustifiably (for parents, 'getting a job', or simply because its the thing to do) Do it because of the three reasons stated above.

Okay thanks, bye.

Thanks
    I feel that art school is ultimately a luxury. Schools are overpriced compared to inflation. Graduates fight over the same few jobs and opportunities which don't pay great or have good, if any, job security. Debt-to-income ratio can become a huge problem that limits their opportunities in life. Those who want to start up a retirement account as soon as possible are not in a position to do so. Those who want to consider saving up a down payment to eventually buy a home may never see the opportunity arise. Anyhow, can anyone here know about any firm who gives Loan Against Art?:?....I have a huge collection of paintings that i borrowed from a professional artist few years ago...but now i am in need of money...so any help???....

Thanks
    So the general consensus is dont go to art school if you don't need to because there are plenty other alternatives. But what about breaking into the industry while learning?

Are there apprenticeships anywhere? What I mean is basically working as a gopher while you learn as much as you can. Right now I'm focused on getting the fundamentals down but I feel like I'm wasting time since I'm in a non art related job and I'm not in school with the time to live and breathe art. What I'd love to do is work as a grunt in a studio and learn from there. You get to work while exploring the field and finding the best fit. Just sit me down and put me to work so long as I'm going in the right direction I'll be happy. So does anyone know of anything like that or should I just do what I've doing: keeping a day job while learning on the side.
    Check out my Sketchbook Feel free to critique.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qothw View Post
    Are there apprenticeships anywhere? What I mean is basically working as a gopher while you learn as much as you can.
    In my opinion, studios rely on fundamental art skills, but they do not practice these themselves. So, I don't think there is a place where you can pick up your fundamentals, while everybody around you is animating, designing, rigging, illustrating...
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque View Post
    In my opinion, studios rely on fundamental art skills, but they do not practice these themselves. So, I don't think there is a place where you can pick up your fundamentals, while everybody around you is animating, designing, rigging, illustrating...
    I figured as much. I was just being hopeful. I reread the past 17 pages and I'm still debating whether I should go to an art school or not.

I went to SCAD Day and fell in love with their animation and sequential art departments. I'm leaning more towards SA and concept art.

So my question is do you know of any smaller programs that focus on this? I checked the thread and several ateliers are mentioned but I cant find one that also encourages storytelling and imaginative works? Concept Art Academy looks great and I was also looking into Max the Mutt (more expensive than CAA but less than other art schools! Aroung 50k for all 4 years) Art Center at Night also looks interesting. Does anyone know any others? I tried looking for TAD but the website seems to be down?
    Check out my Sketchbook Feel free to critique.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by qothw View Post
    Concept Art Academy looks great and I was also looking into Max the Mutt (more expensive than CAA but less than other art schools! Aroung 50k for all 4 years) Art Center at Night also looks interesting. Does anyone know any others? I tried looking for TAD but the website seems to be down?
    Max the Mutt is Canadian, and in general Canadian schools are cheaper than US schools. Its founders hopped onto the ever-popular animation/concept art bandwagon, without the skills, knowledge, experience and contacts to guide aspiring artists to a career in these fields, and without the organizational skills to run a school.
    Grinnikend door het leven...

Sketchbook Blog

Thanks
    This is so helpful! I have been considering going to art school for quite a long time - never went though. But I have to agree, as long as you work very hard, you will get where you want to go no matter what kind of art school (big name or not) you finished. That's something I realized among my group of friends.

Thanks
    I am considering getting into an art program in a university and apparently maths seem to be one of the requirements. However, I am not so good at maths. I have tried tutors and some online resources like Khan Academy and even online tutoring. However, I still find it so hard to maintain a good grade. I am wondering if anyone has some good advice for an art student...Someone who knows my feelings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaSplit View Post
    I am considering getting into an art program in a university and apparently maths seem to be one of the requirements. However, I am not so good at maths. I have tried tutors and some online resources like Khan Academy and even online tutoring. However, I still find it so hard to maintain a good grade. I am wondering if anyone has some good advice for an art student...Someone who knows my feelings.
    I'm not so good at mathematics either. Look into the specific classes that fill the requirement. In my program, Logic, Computer Science, Chemistry, and other things besides math can fulfill the credit. There's usually a beginner course in math at universities as well, but I'm from the US so I doubt it's the same everywhere. US universities design many science and math courses specifically to be passable by students that are not gifted in the subject, but need the requirement. I would think that the basic course with the addition of an in person tutor at the university would get you through it. I guess it depends on your situation. From my experience, it's basic algebra skills that are the savior. The mathematics I did in high school was much more advanced, and much harder for me than anything that was required for college, which I didn't realize at the time. I don't know what level you're at, though.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9