Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: The Reality of Going to Art School and a basic FAQ for those considering it.

Thanks

Question

First, I would like to thank Mr. Manley for posting this thread. I'm very fortunate to read this very early.

I'm a senior in highschool and the top 2 schools I want to go are VCU and MICA. I want to major in Illustration and become a concept artist/character designer/game designer. MICA seems to have a very prestigious program in everything, but their tuition makes me hesitant to go there. VCU also seems to have a strong art program, but I'm not sure if it's going to teach me enough to make myself improve. VCU's tuition is really great, but I don't know if I'm good enough to get a career right after I graduate since VCU is not that well known. Since MICA is a big-name school, the chances of getting me a career is possibly higher than VCU.

I'm still conflicted with these 2 schools, I hope I learn ALOT and acheive my goals when I go to MICA or VCU.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i really love this forum. i just joined conceptart.org and i'm taking what everyone said into deep thought. i'm a junior in highschool and i am very and only interested in doing something in the art field. i want to become a concept artist for movies, but after reading the first few pages i'm pretty sure i'll have to work up to that for a while. i googled a lot of the colleges mentioned, but i'm not sure if anyone said anything about the art institutes. i was considering the art institute as my number one choice for college. though i've heard some not too good things about that college. does anyone have any information or advice on that? or recommendation?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aerrrymonster View Post
    i googled a lot of the colleges mentioned, but i'm not sure if anyone said anything about the art institutes. i was considering the art institute as my number one choice for college. though i've heard some not too good things about that college. does anyone have any information or advice on that? or recommendation?
    The Art Institutes are generally considered to be bad schools.

Cole Eastburn describes them as "a place that you walk in and hand over 50,000 dollars and then kicks you in the mouth and says...'thanks for stopping by'."

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...118736&page=28

He also adds this on his website:
    "I attended The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale after graduating highschool, which I dont reccomend anyone ever doing if you want to become a serious aritist because they are only interested in money."

http://www.topdollarpawn.com/
    Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    There are many, many threads about the Art Institutes in this forum, in addition to the one lowercase linked to. The general consensus is that the AI schools aren't the best option, but they also vary greatly from location to location and program to program.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Oh wow am I glad I found this thread.

A big thank you to Jason and everyone else on this thread, I'm stuck in between... places and I'm not sure what to do.

Jason, I'd be glad if I could get your opinion on the matter.

I am 23 this year and live in Singapore which does not have a fantastic art school base. We have Digipen and a couple of fine art schools but that's about it. I have done a 3 year diploma in Digital Media Design, specializing in animation. However it's more of an extremely basic foundation course of everything.

They teach a little bit of everything and there's no real focus on any particular subject in my opinion and many of my peers graduated with half baked skills, unable to get about in the working world.

I've been working for 2 years now and have held one art job for a startlingly short period of time; the art department completely dissolved two months into working there. I'm currently at my second art job as an illustrator but I do little to no drawing at all.

I have been considering going to art school for a while now but cost has always been the problem. Since there are no schools in Singapore for illustration, I am forced to go overseas to seek other means of education. I was interested in Art Center and SCAD but both are very expensive and I'd need a scholarhip/study loan to cover everything.

Reading this thread has made me confused and I'm not sure where to go/what to do next. I feel that I need a mentor/guide/teacher to guide me along the direction I should be taking. I want to do conceptart/illustration/character design.

Mr Hans Bacher, former Disney artist, did mentor me for two weeks but that was about it. I have also visited Feng Zhu's School of Design which proved interesting but was very design-y and I'm not sure if it's my thing at all. Though he did suggest I go to art center, like I said, the price is very offputting.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 11,354 Times in 2,877 Posts
    [QUOTE=Samuel Gravina;1755529]That's right. I'm the parent of an art school student, one of your young members, and I want to buy my daughter an art school degree.

The other advice was good too. Thanks.[/QUOTE

She is lucky to have your support.

If parents can afford to spend that kind of money then by all means. Better than buying their children a new Porsche and Gucci wardrobe I suppose. It should be known that more than a third of that money paid will not go toward anything directly related to the education of their loved ones who attend those programs.

Thanks
    I remember I took a course at a leading game art school, to find out how it was, and I found myself drawing better life drawings then the actual teacher. I had students coming to me, asking my progress. So to second what has been said in this thread, make sure to check the instructors work and the students work. Or maybe do a trial like I did, and take a part time course for about 600 bucks or more. Another funny thing is, when I was in high school I was searching for art schools to attend. The first school I checked out, was Art Institute of Vancouver, recommended by my crazy animation teacher. I almost laughed out loud at the lady who interviewed me to get into the school, she asked me, why I want to go to the school, and for a short answer I told her, art was my life, and I love drawing and painting etc...She told me, because I said I love art, I am accepted, when do you want to apply. I laughed all the way home, and never went back again. She never asked for a portfolio or anything...and from my research before hand I already knew the school was crap. After checking out numerous schools all on the same path, I told myself, I wasn't attending, unless It was an amazing school. Concept art Atlier, and now TAD seem to go up to my standards, since they actually teach you how to be good. Being self taught up to present, I am better then most of my friends who have come out of art schools, they have told me 80% of the time they don't even get to draw...So seriously make sure to check places in your area out. Or self teach yourself, learn from conceptart.org, or go to a school that will actually teach you how to draw good. Your time and money is valuable, make the most of it. I am so happy TAD has happened, since I too want to attend this amazing potential.

~JB

Thanks
    The more I think about it, the more pissed off I become. People are dishing out 150-200g in loans to make a salary of 40g. Unless you're stripping in vegas or pushing cocaine through college, thats bogus crap. Not a good investment at all. I know I'm going into art and shouldn't expect to be rich, but if I'm paying that much money for a degree I don't think I should have to worry about food stamps or make annual trips to the salvation army because of loans.

In my universe, if it's likely that you're going to make shit money with your degree, then you should have to pay shit money your education. No more, no less.
    Last edited by sleepiehead; March 14th, 2010 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks
    Art Center finally lets the general public easily access its student portfolio:

http://www.artcenterillustration.com

I see little difference between the entertainment design at Art Center:
    http://www.artcenterillustration.com...tainment-arts/

and the entertainment design program at San Jose State University:
    http://www.shrunkenheadman.com/illus...llery.php?g=32

Those are just hard facts staring you right in your face. So why pay more?
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    point 3, 6 and 7 are very true here in Australia. Id also like to add to Jason's bible of art school truths

when Both in and out of your schooling- network,network,network! relationships get more work than degrees.

San Rafael, California, and it's beautiful here.
    Thanks

in my personal experience

As an artist and illustrator who Is self taught I have to say this.

I feel that not having a degree has been a detriment to my career. It isn't that I can't illustrate, it's just that breaking into the industry these days is proving to be very difficult. I have to fight harder than credentialed artists, because while the job description doesn't say "BFA required," it always seems to be preferred. Or they say "equivalent experience," well that's just the old catch 22 isn't it? Freelance work isn't often consistent. Illustration doesn't seem to be enough anymore, i am continually asked if i know 3D (maya, z-brus, 3d studio...)

Never mind that having someone to teach you and fellow artists all around you to is tons easier than going it alone. I am hoping to find an art school to attend this fall (and hoping even more to enter in as a softmore, specifically because of the cost) I have been told by advisors that i may simply be able to bypass many lower level courses with a portfolio.

It isn't that being self taught is any less legitimate a path to artistic skill (some of the greatest artists of all time have been self taught) it simply is much more difficult to face the trial by fire.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darrellzilla For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you so much, the things you said were very motivational, I know i have what it takes to work hard to excel at art, now I have the confidence that it's all up to me.

Thanks

Thanks.

You are the Man, Manley.

Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast