Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: IEOUA (allegorical self-portrait)

Thanks
    cool! how big is your grandma's painting? I think it's really great that you're investing so much of yourself in this thread, just goes to show how life affects art and art affects life. keep it up
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ramon Hurtado For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks man. I updated that last one with the correct dimensions (which are 4 feet x 4 feet.)

Here is some earlier Childhood Art from my Dad's (Age 2.5-9)

Also a portrait of me, painted by my Aunt shortly after I was born:
    Stuffy Doodle Bug
    By Debbie Clark
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; August 22nd, 2007 at 12:25 AM.

Thanks
    Childhood Artwork Continued

Age 10-12

Subjects of Interest:

-C.S. Lewis
    -Ninjas and Samurai
    -Giger’s Alien (Seeing the film was a huge deal for me, and I somehow persuaded my mom to buy me the Necronomicon and the Biomechanic when I was like 11. Probably been a little warped in the head ever since)
    -Predator
    -Tigers
    -Norse Mythology
    -Maps
    -Comic Books, Cartoons and Video Games

Compositional Trends:
    Doodles become more recognizably “cartoonish,” with a greater emphasis placed on facial expressions and action sequences. Also, a curiosity with maps (along with the attendant coffee stains and burned edges… as a way of making them look older.) An increased interest in geometry, with some early Tessellation expiriments.
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; October 25th, 2007 at 08:24 PM.

Thanks
    I finally worked out the crowning image for my tryptic. I got three sketches done in time for the Lunar Eclipse last night, but eveyone else will have to wait until I can give it the polish it deserves.

In the meantime, here's a brief update.

I've been busy this weekend chasing the Roebuck again and I tried to work on those planes and volumes like Diego suggested. Not sure how successful I was
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; October 23rd, 2010 at 05:01 AM. Reason: catharsis

Thanks
    That update is looking really good. I really like how the shapes of the animals sort of blend into the background so that I don't notice them at first. Then when I do notice them, it's like "wow, where did that come from!"

The upper right does need to be toned down just a bit so that the stark white doesn't compete so much with the nice halo effect you are getting from the moon.

Can't wait to see your next piece.
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grin Without a Cat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks man,
    For what I do, that's about the best compliment someone could give me.

I was going to hold off until tomorrow, but since we're on to page two

Last edited by Jasonwclark; October 21st, 2010 at 03:28 AM. Reason: voodoo

Thanks
    Childhood Artwork Continued

AGE 13-15

I took my first semester long art class in seventh grade, and then another one my Freshman year of highschool. The work from this period is mainly about experimenting with different mediums and methods. Assignments were more structured, and a little less personal, so I left most of them untitled. Around this same time, I also picked up the habit of giving my drawings to people outside my immediate family, so I'm sure some of the cooler stuff was handed out to friends or cute girls. The material that remains is bascially what I gave over to my Grandparents.
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; August 30th, 2007 at 05:42 AM.

Thanks
    More "Childhood" Artwork

Age 16-17

Durring this period I did a lot of 'hanging out' ... and even more 'going out.'

I'm sure the lapse in productivity was due, in no small part, to my getting a car and a girl (however briefly.) Subjects of interest included things like Alice, drug culture, and music from my parents generation. I think a lot of work was given away to friends, but I kept some of the drawings I made in math class. I also did some nice prisma color maps for US History, but only one survives. Durring this time I also had a brief resurgence of interest in acrylics, and decided to paint the walls of my old room.
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; September 25th, 2007 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks
    Age 18-24 (Early Works Artchive):

This is the artwork from my senior Year of highschool (at Foothill junior college) and from my first couple years in San Diego. The stuff below pretty much fills the gap between my childhood artwork and the material at the begining of this thread. I spent more nights reading and writing term papers than I did drawing, but I did manage to get out a few images of interest.

I also included some maps/graphics that I made for an open source strategy game around this same time. The Great War, is a scenerio I created with one of my buddies 'over there' at TripleA. It uses a modified Axis and Allies ruleset adapted for World War 1. The art resources are original, with maps made in MSpaint and unit/flag graphics in Photoshop. I also authored the Pact of Steel varient (which includes Italy in 4th edition A&A) and made the clone map for A&A Pacific. The TripleA game engine is designed to work on any OS that runs java, and it can still be played for free online at:
    http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; May 3rd, 2008 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks
    Experiments with Concept Art

And finally, here is some Fantasy/D&D style artwork that I made for various Neverwinter Nights projects. Nothing professional, but its probably as close as I've come to actually doing the concept art thing.

Right, I guess that just about wraps up the stoll down memory lane. Now I should probably get back to drawing the new stuff.
    Thanks for everyone who took the time to check this out.

-J
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; January 4th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.

Thanks
    Works in Progress Update: First pictures with the new camera (Thanks Noni)

I finally got sick of paying Kinkos $40 a pop to scan my drawings (especially since they smudged the last one on me), so I picked up a camera for archiving purposes. I know almost nothing about Photography

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for archiving/photographing drawings? Maybe a good link to follow?
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; October 21st, 2010 at 03:31 AM.

Thanks
    I spent a little time trying to answer my own questions with the search function, and chanced on that thread by Dos Santos. It had some very usefull tips about the archival photography thing, and a lot of other interesting info besides. Its worth checking out if you haven't already:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45901

Also, here's a cleaner shot of the Limnos drawing I'm working on
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; September 16th, 2010 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks
    Those last couple of faces are nice. Lots of personality in them. I think the first one could use just a bit more of a hint of a neck, though. The floating head is just a tiny bit disconcerting...lol
    As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Grin Without a Cat For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast