Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Sounds like a plan man

Progress goes slow as expected, but I did catch a few minutes today to work on things. My house guests just returned, but at least I got to put in the basic current ripples before setting it aside for the night. I still need to fine tune the area by the feet/ankles, but I think once I bring the reeds down to the waterline it should start to fill in a bit nicer. Of course, any suggestions before I lay down more graphite would be most appreciated.

Oh yeah and yes, I do live in San Diego Pancho.
    Howdy neighbor 8)

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jasonwclark; October 25th, 2007 at 08:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Looking good on that update, but I do have one suggestion before you take it farther if I may...
    The ripples look good, but because they are dominated by a horizontal line pattern, it is looking more like still water. If the stream is flowing down toward the bottom of the page, the turbulance patterns should be dominated by lines moving parallel to the direction of the flow, which in this case is more of a vertical direction with some slight diagonals. Just imagine bent tubes of water bundled together, oriented along the stream rather than across it. (If that makes any sense...it is difficult to describe.) You might do a couple of quick study sketches to see the effects of different turbulance pattern directions before you finalize this.

As the ego shrinks, so the spirit expands.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Grin Without a Cat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think I see what you mean, thanks for the tip man

This weekend I have to drive up to Sacramento to visit my mom, so hopefully I can make a quick trip to the American River and do some direct observation. I'm sure it will be easier to visualize things once my toes are all blue and frozen from wading in the water. On the upside, I had a little time today to add in some more reeds and cat tails. They still need polishing (especially the submerged areas), and I'd like the reeds by the stagg to be a bit taller/thicker, but I think its helping to tie things together somewhat. I'm sure a few trial sketches couldn't hurt though.

Worst comes to worse I can always just go for the still water effect, and save the stronger currents for the next peice.
    Either way, hopefully I'll have something to post when I get back from roadtrippin.' Untill then, have fun holding down the fort.

Thanks
    Oh man, I don't even know where to start... I think I may have just hit the motherload

So I'm up here at my mom's house, digging through a bunch of old boxes, when lo and behold... I chance upon a huge trunk full of artwork that I haven't seen in twenty years. As it turns out 1986-87 was probably my most productive year to date (putting my current work ethic to shame), with a whole host of bizzare drawings and image ideas. I'm on a crazy scanning mission right now, but eventually I'd like to organize some of the more interesting stuff into a chronology of childhood artwork. I'll have more to post when I get back to San Diego, but I just had to share this one...

Its from my 'Kindergarten Journal' and the accompanying short story (recorded by my teacher) almost made me piss my pants. Perhaps someday, if I ever achieve that 'Fine Art' book that we all dream about, this guy will help to spice up the prologue. Hope you enjoy

Red Horned Nightmare
    Crayon on Construction Paper, 8.5" x 11"
    Jason W. Clark

Thanks
    LOL. Moms always like to save that kind of stuff, don't they?
    You know, oddly enough, someone just the other day started a thread in the art discussion section wanting to see the student and childhood sketches of people who are producing pro level work now. http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=103399

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Grin Without a Cat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Update

Wow that was a busy week. Iíve been bouncing around California again, but Iím back home now. A little Hectic, but I did get to meet Vladimir Vitkovsky, and catch up on a few drawings. Iíve also been scanning and analyzing my childhood artwork like a mad fiend for the past few days, and finally have something to show for it. See the posts below for the first installment.

Last edited by Jasonwclark; September 16th, 2010 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Here’s that childhood artwork I promised. The first installment takes you from Kindergarten to 3rd grade. I have ages 10-16 scanned/shot, but I still need to organize everything. I’ll post another update just as soon as the carpal tunnel eases up. My photography skills are about as weak as my camera, but I think it works alright when you see them all together.

CHILDHOOD ARTWORK

Before Age 3: This Gremlins drawing, and the heart with arrows are all I could find at my Mom's. There might be something at my dad's, but its pretty slim pickings before Kindergarten.

Age 4-6 Subjects of Interest:
    -Monsters and Dragons
    -Dinosaurs
    -Sharks
    -Ghost Busters
    -Inhumanoids
    -Godzilla
    -The Dark Crystal
    -Volcanoes
    -Willard
    -Things eating other things

Compositional Trends:
    -A much more economical use of paper, usually with drawings on both sides of the page (way to make the Gunslinger proud J.)
    -Starts out with the big colorful drawings (usually on construction paper larger than 8 ½ by 11”), but begins to demonstrate an increased fascination with smaller subjects and thinner lines.

Last edited by Jasonwclark; August 15th, 2007 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks
    Childhood Artwork Continued

Age 7-9
    Subjects of Interest:

-Monsters and Dragons
    -Castles
    -Ninja Turtles
    -Robots and Battleships
    -Aliens, Critters, Tremors etc.
    -Freddy Krueger
    -Things fighting with weapons

Compositional Trends:
    -The age of the Doodle Bug. Things tend towards the tiny side, usually in the margins of my Math or English assignments.
    There seems to be an increased interest in surrounding environments, action scenes with weapons and the like.
    A slow but steady move away from crayons and markers, towards ink and pencil. Eventually computer paper wins out over construction paper,
    with more drawings on 3x5 note cards and on the inside of my assignment folders.
    -My first real experiments with paint, mainly tempera.

Last edited by Jasonwclark; August 15th, 2007 at 10:14 PM.

Thanks
    That's quite a collection you have there! The oldest pieces of artwork I still have are from high school, and I only have 3 of those left, lol.

It looks like you weren't bashful about using the space you were given to do your drawings in. That is a good thing. Often, with kids of that age, one of the challenges is getting them to fill the space, rather than putting a 1" high drawing in the middle of a 9" x 12" paper and saying "I'm done!" lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Grin Without a Cat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like your work a lot, the only thing that is bothering me is the flatness in the overall compositions. The faces too, they're not solid enough, i mean the shading isn't describing the planes and volumes.
    In this image http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1185366087 you have a lot of chaos, i don't mind at all, but you could play more with the line weights, and the constrast areas to make figures pop up a lil' more.
    Anyways, just that, i really what you're going to. Just try to make the volumes more readable.

Cheers man, keep postin'

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah that's something that I really need to work on. Thanks for the constructive criticism and the encouragement.

Those are some gloriously kick ass drawings in your sketchbook Diego. I dig your style completely 8)
    I'd love to be able to draw like that... crushed with envy yet again.

Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes: The War of Each against All (everything vs everything.)
    Right Panel: The Night Mare
    Salvete Domini "Chef at 6, Napoleon at 7"

Details:
    1: Conquering Athens
    2: Bread and Envy
    3: Thinking Animal
    4: The Great Wheel

Last edited by Jasonwclark; October 23rd, 2010 at 05:01 AM. Reason: brevity

Thanks
    In case nobody caught the translation in that last one, this should jar your memory

Just got back from Rockin' the Bells in the city last night, and I'm pretty delirious from exhaustion. Did a little floor camping at a friend's house, which my neck is loving me for right now, but it was a lot of fun. Tonight I'm heading over to my Dad's to dig up some more childhood artwork. Should be able to find some cool stuff from the early teen years to post when I get home, and hopefully pawn off a few of these drawings on him so they'll actually get framed.

In the meantime though, I had a quick question for the oil painters out there. Whats the best method to preserve an old painting that is starting to chip and peel? I came across something pretty cool on Valencia earlier today, but its pretty old and clearly not receiving the attention it deserves. Right now its just laying on the floor collecting dust, but I thought I might try to swoop on it just to see that it doesn't disappear forever. Anyone know of any good methods for treating something like that, that aren't too invasive?

I was thinking maybe I could brush a light coat of something on it, just to keep the paint from flaking off the surface any worse than it already has, but I didn't want to mess around before asking.

Last edited by Jasonwclark; May 1st, 2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: better Orff

Thanks
    I had to leave the city for my dads, so it looks like that oil painting will just have to suffer whatever fate has in store. They wanted $400 for it, which is about $350 more than I have to spend right now. But if any of you live in San Francisco, you might consider swinging down to that big antique store on Valencia (around 20th street) to have a look. The painting is of a Gorgon's head (Clash of the Titans style) by Leon Dusso (D'Usseau) who worked in Hollywood in the 40s. I just saw another oil painting of his on E-bay selling for two grand, so someone out there must think he's an alright painter. Anyhow, its pretty cool looking little piece, so I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who's interested... though it'll probably fall apart soon if left the way it was when I found it.

Also, while I'm the subject of Hollywood artists, I wanted to share something else with you guys. My Grandmother painted this for my father on his 18th Birthday, and its been hanging in our living room for about as long as I can remember. She died when I was 3, so I didn't get to know her as well as I would have liked, but I think I must have caught the art bug from her branch of the family tree. Most people from my generation won't know who a lot of these actors are, but I think anyone who likes classic films should dig it. I can put a name to most of the faces, but some of them are still giving me the slip. Anyhow, I was thinking about having it photographed and printed... Anyone have any good suggestions on how to archive or reproduce something like this?

Old Photographs of the Artist: Dorothy as a young woman

Hollywood Stars
    Acrylic on Canvas (48" x 48")
    by Dot Clark

Studio Details

Last edited by Jasonwclark; July 27th, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2