Art: Kalimata

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Kalimata

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Kalimata

Maha Kali : Kali is the goddess of dissolution and destruction. She is known for destroying ignorance, and she helps those who strive for knowledge of God. Her name means "The Black One" and the city of Calcutta is named in her honor"Kolkotta". She is fearsome in appearance. She has wild eyes, a protruding tongue, and she wields a bloody sword. She also holds the severed head of a demon, and she wears a belt of severed heads.

In Hindu mythology, the gods could not kill the demon Raktabija. Every drop of his blood that touched the ground transformed itself into another demon. Within a few minutes of attacking this asura with their weapons, the gods would find the entire battlefield covered with millions of demon clones.
    In despair, the gods turned to Shiva. But Shiva was lost in meditation, so they turned to his consort Parvati. The goddess immediately set out to do battle with this dreaded demon in the form of Kali.
    She rode into the battleground on her lion, and Raktabija experienced fear for the first time in his demonic heart. Kali ordered the gods to attack Raktabija. Kali then spread her tongue to cover the battlefield preventing even a single drop of Raktabija's blood from falling on the group. Thus preventing Raktabija from reproducing himself.
    Drunk on Raktabija's blood, Kali ran across the cosmos killing anyone who dared cross her path. She adorned herself with the heads, limbs and entrails of her victims. To pacify her, Shiva threw himself under her feet. This stopped the goddess. She calmed down, embraced her husband, and shed her ferocious form. Pritvi was free from the evils.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

This is a really cool piece. Always fun to see indian mythology honoured. I specifically like the background and skullnecklace and i think you did a great job technically.

Personally, i find your Kalimata too pretty. She's a goddess! Her husband is lying on the ground and she'll murder him if she doesn't take care! There's a dead guy in her hand! Yet her expression is so terribly bland, like she's posing for some bathingsuitshoot. She's bloodthirsty, hungering for revenge and victory and high on blood. Maybe put some of it on her body. I'm not sure if her mouth is stained with blood or if that's lipstick. Perhaps open her mouth a li'l, like she's growling or increase her frown.

Also, her back leg seems a li'l thin compared to the other leg.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty cool! I'm definitely with cookiedough, it's gotta be more emotive with that much intensity in the subject matter.

Her top-right arm is a bit too long, methinks. Also, the dark smoke, closer to the foreground, kind of looks more like volcanic rock. I think the light of the lava is a little too strong, and the shapes too defined.
    I can't tell if the fire splurts coming from the ground, pointing to the top right, are supposed to be the splash from the burning rock shower or are supposed to be emerging from the earth. I'm assuming it's the rocks hitting the ground, so I'd maybe cut a few out, because the rocks seem to be falling with less frequency than they are apparently landing. And the flames should probably be splashing outwards, rather than bursting up to a point. It may be that the rocks' trails have not yet faded from the air, but they are a bit too strong even in that case.

Great work!

\m|, d=f=b .|m/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd have to agree with the facial expression comments. She is a bit dead-pan. Maybe a little smirk or half smile to show her "boo-yah that's right, boys/ignorance". You go girl.

But it's still absolutely fabbo! I like the dead body on the ground that she is "holding" as if she is going to do something to them next...or their dead body rather. The addition of the snake is also menacing and enjoyable.

Honestly, I originally thought her back leg was alright considering it's not an important foreground element but then it does almost create the line of support for her body and the fact that the hair is more detailed behind her leg...

BUT DON'T GET ME WRONG! It's great. We're just here to love you in every supportive & constructive way. ^.^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great shading and coloring, very nice.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.