Thanks

Starcraft 2 Wallpaper

This was long enough in the WIP section, so I decided to post it here.
    Originally I made this for the Blizzard Con Fanart contest, but yesterday they gave out some new guidelines and there they said "only USA and Canada...".

Well at least it was a good practise and gave me some good new ideas and techniques that improved my painting skills.

Of course its not perfect like those works of the pros around here, but for me its a big step in a good direction. If I would paint it again I would change some parts. A little different coloring, a better look for her face...
    I hope you like it anyways.

The Ultralisk is a redisgn, cause I didnt like the big puppy eyes he has in the original game.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    well thats pretty cool!
    Look, you know what I mean. You take a bunch of people who don’t seem any different from you or me, but when you add them all together you get this sort of huge raving maniac with national borders and an anthem.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    The graphic design of this piece is gorgeous! The little icon on the forums pages just shines! And it seems like a cool idea too and there's lots to like about it.

As far as the drawing goes, I feel there are a few problems...

The first is that the gal's leg, which falls into shadow and goes "lost" against the monster nearly touches the rim of the monster's... well I don't quite know... where that huge buzzsaw of a fingernail meets the the finger -- the fingernail transition point.

That leg is also directly in line with more of the monster's fingernail transition point beneath the claw thing she's standing on. It makes it look like her legs goes all the way to the floor, like its super long.

The second drawing thing is also one of those "lost and found edges" things... the hand of her left arm fades out against her hip and disappears. For some reason this looks wrong and I think the reason is... is that there is light coming from in front of her so that hand would be lit, not in darkness.

Ok, last point on drawing... If you look at the point where her neck (which also should be visible from the front) seems to contact her shoulders, it implies that her right shoulder (in shadow in the drawing, invisible) is way twisted back around toward us to the right. (If you were looking at her figure from above it would be clockwise rotation of her torso) Now this torsional twist, in a figure, happens only at the waist. If you look at the "stomach muscles" which I guess are actually like little pads or something on her outfit, they don't actually twist along with how the torso would be twisting there. That makes the visible boob look like its in the center of her chest. So I think making the stomache pads look like they are twisting around with the twisting of her body might help out alot.

best
    kev

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106
    Last edited by kev ferrara; July 21st, 2007 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks
    nice but would look better without the girl?

Thanks
    Nabend!
    Yeah, what a pitty with "just usa and canada". Anyway your work looks cool! I do not like the comic-style black outlines that much, but maybe thats just me. The layout and high contrast in the foreground are awesome.

Thanks
    thanks for the feedback.
    I am happy, that there are no major Mistakes and I am planning on making some concepts for SC2. Could be fun.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    The graphic design of this piece is gorgeous!

Ok, last point on drawing... If you look at the point where her neck (which also should be visible from the front) seems to contact her shoulders, it implies that her right shoulder (in shadow in the drawing, invisible) is way twisted back around toward us to the right. (If you were looking at her figure from above it would be clockwise rotation of her torso) Now this torsional twist, in a figure, happens only at the waist. If you look at the "stomach muscles" which I guess are actually like little pads or something on her outfit, they don't actually twist along with how the torso would be twisting there. That makes the visible boob look like its in the center of her chest. So I think making the stomache pads look like they are twisting around with the twisting of her body might help out alot.
    i think this is bcos originally the head is facing the front, if you check out vaejoun's wip, you'll know what i mean, vae had changed the orientation of the face but did not update the body.

i agree with kev on the drawing's point and i personally think that he's one of the best i've seen on this site with the comic-style coulouring. so its very lucky to have him crit your work. apart from the drawing, i think warm and cold shades of colour could be utilised better in this composition to bring out the central character more by distinguishing her from the rest of the composition, especially the bloodless-pale face could really be the central focal point of this composition?