Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cardinal Dragon

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one...
    Thanks
    Excellent work! Is the coolest dragon I have ever seen in a while. Great touch with the details and thank you so much for the step by step process pics. Congrats on being a winner in the contest! Truly deserved.
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    WOW, great work man.

Thanks
    Great piece, Chuck. I see a lot of growth in your colour usage since the old COW/CHOW days. Cool concept and congrats on the win : )

Thanks
    Very nice work, specially the good mix between digital and hand-made painting. There´s something that I really don´t understand in this and many other works of people here: why do you put so much details on them? I mean, it´s ok if it´s a final concept design or if the illustration is going to have a big size once printed, but otherwise, wouldn´t it be nicer to make it more summarized?

Thanks
    SWEET MOTHER OF GOD, THAT IS FUCKING BAD ASS. I bow down

Thanks
    Dude. This is freaking gorgeous. The mix of natural and digital media is lovely. At first I wondered if you had switched to Painter, but thought the watercolor bleeds land paper texture looked too genuine... and now I know why! It really works and the illustration is top notch as usual... I might even say this ones a little less brushy than usual... I love it.

And as far as the link is concerned, you completely dominate the McFarlane top 12 and I think its a shame they reproduced yours so small. Tell them to keep the toy and give you a job. Their Dragons line could use first class fantasy illustration like this.

Well done!
    Last edited by Michael Jaecks; July 21st, 2007 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,344 Times in 473 Posts
    Awesome job, Chuck! (as always).

It's tough to make dragons different or unique, and I think you did a good job with taking it in a slightly different direction.

-D

Thanks
    Ya totally using that amazing idea.
    I like how you still use natural media with the digital art.
    great work with the dragon and congradulations on the contest!

slainte!

Thanks
    I love this, awesome job! I like the watercolor parts and the whole "story" behind it, the lovely details like the rider or the truncated horns. Super nice, thanks for sharing!

Thanks
    Great stuff mate.

Not usually a fan of the D&D type stuff, but i love the way you've approached this one. Great idea. I agree, it does give it a far more tangible traditional feel.

Excellent!

RS

www.raystyles.org

Thanks
    I've first seen this painting in some other gallery, but now that I see it bigger I like it even more! Kick ass piece, wonderful...

Thanks
    Awesome work,mate!
    Sjajno!

Thanks
    Breathtaking!

Thanks
    I'm just awed by that, I love how you included how you did and I'm surprised at the watercolor washes. Very nifty idea and I might try it later and If I do I'll post a link to this thread to state where I got the idea.

I love the detailing in this that dragon is very imaginative and I'm just loving that texture.

Thanks
    I wanted to update everyone that my prize has arrived (see pic below)! It now guards my backup external hard drive. Woe is he who tries to corrupt my data.

Greyhawke - Thanks ART, sorry I missed you last comment round - we must've been typing at the same time. Speaking of the application of traditional media, try rubbing Liquin into the tablet if you want your pixels to dry faster. Good luck at SDCC.

Felicia, Jorge Gecov, dkounios, scotty_g2, armaldon, Micaiah Nelson, Flipnastywebby, Pascallo, Ray Styles, Loga4, Cobster - Thanks so much guy!

Jabo - Funny how many people include the "I'm not usually a fan of dragons" disclaimer. I didn't know these poor critters had such a stigma. Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you like this dragon, at least!

Havoc-DM - It was one layer, more or less. I save PSDs incrementally with each sitting of a few hours (dragon01, 02, 03, etc...) and flatten it down every time I start a new document. Then I repeatedly duplicate the base layer, apply paint, erase out, and flatten back down (a more wordy explanation here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79449 ). This time I got up to dragon18 before calling it finished. So yeah, the background, watercolor, and dragon were all merged together throughout. At the end the only thing I have on a separate layer (group of layers, actually) is the decorative square border.

viag - Thanks man! The new SteamBot site is awesome, and I'm afraid I'm going to have to buy the book.

mechanicalstrings - Have at it. I didn't come up with anything new, I just demonstrated it, apparently, well.

hurricane -

cognition.sb - Yeah, but that was back in 2006. This is now. Actually, most of the stuff in my portfolio is still from those old COW/CHOW days, we should do that again.

Badaboom - I think you can find a lot of both ends of the spectrum here at CA.org, and the line can be blurry as to when a concept becomes an illustration. A lot of concept artists aspire to be illustrators and to get their work in print (raising my hand). I do a lot of quick sketches for a living, so it's nice to be able to slow down in my personal work and see what's possible when time is much less critical.

twisteddemon - THANKS FOR THE ENTHUSIASM.

Michael Jaecks - Ha! I bought a shiny new copy of Painter X when it came out, but I still haven't even installed it. If I haven't switched by now, I probably never will.

Dusty - Thanks, Dusty. It's been awhile - I hope all is well.

harachte - I've been cheating with other forums. But not everyone frequents the best site.

Kestral - Thanks. I wasn't much in the mood for talking about my work after reading about Gangus (up top between Konig and Djurdjevic). But having your comment come through at the right moment motivated me to start typing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast