School Transfers and Debt: State School v. Art College

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

School Transfers and Debt: State School v. Art College

I am currently an illustration major enrolled at Fredonia State University in New York. I'll be a junior next year. I am finding that a lot of areas in my school are somewhat lacking...mostly in technical skills. Conceptually the school is pretty good, but in terms of learning about the industry and getting specific feedback on each piece of work from a teacher (color choices, composition, the way a piece was approached, anatomy) it all ends up a little lacking. Student have to be pretty self motivated to learn anything, I often feel like I am hitting a brick wall when I try to get good feedback from others, and quality of work from the students is usually pretty bad.

I've been going to and will be in charge of figure drawing sessions next semester, and sort of decided to take charge of my education and will be doing an independent study illustrating 10 oil paintings and additional studies for a children's book, plus I am currently doing some concept work on the side for a friend's dad's friend. Plus lots of side drawings for myself.

As a freshman I applied to sva, risd, and some others, but couldn't afford their tuition.

Question here is, whats the opinion that what I am doing will be enough.I can stay at Fredonia, get advise from the online community on my work and then go to grad school at an art school or I could take a year off and transfer and get a BA at one of these schools. The later would probably cost me more, but would it be worth it? I guess I am seeking the advise of those in the field who know what it takes.

I think that its an issue for lots of college bound students these days, because aid is going down, and tuition is going up. How much debt can an artist reasonably get in?

I am available for freelance or fulltime:

Portfolio Website
    Blog
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look into FIT (http://www.fitnyc.edu)

FIT has a great illustration department and a lot of the faculty work in the industry. William Low, Karen Santry, Anthony Kokinos, Tony Capparelli, etc. are all great professors. The only flaw FIT's illustration department has is they don't help you with internships or anything. It's also a state university (SUNY), so it won't cost you much. Good Luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I'll look into that

I am available for freelance or fulltime:

Portfolio Website
    Blog
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Members who have read this thread: 1