Art: Medusa - Finally Finished.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Medusa - Finally Finished.

No quite done the snakes yet, but here's a WIP of a Medusa sculpt.

The idea was that parts of here body were becoming snake-like as well as her head. Hence her right arm and side are scaley and monstrous.

I'm concentrating on getting a natural look to the flowing fabric.

Medusa - Finally Finished. Medusa - Finally Finished.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by The Dark Power; September 7th, 2007 at 04:02 AM. Reason: Update
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work, cool idea using different sculpeys for different texture areas, how big is she? 1/6?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers, yeah about 1/6, approximately 12 inches tall if she was standing upright.

I find the firmer sculpey holds skin detail a little better than the regular stuff hence the mix, plus it'll help differentiate the different areas when I come to paint it.

Probably gonna cheat and make a mold to cast up some snakes - I can't be bothered to sculpt every single one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very kool indeed! must have strong wire to hold that bad boy up...looking sweet the clothes are spectacular how did you get the detail into that thin of sheets and to stay in that dynamic design?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the sculpted fabric display great dynamism, please do share with us how you make it work? the fabric covering the legs are almost "veil" like and aspect it to be a see-thru when colouring.

only comment is your posing... somehow felt that the dynamism could improve by twisting the waist and shoulder around a bit more? more like snake "snaking "forward? i think a combination of forward leaning and torso twisting would help to achieve that, something like a spring uncoil? at the moment the forward leaning motion is a bit too static for a snake like creature? but if this ok i suppose if its like a "lunge" motion, like a snake snapping its head to catch a prey, then only stretching both the shoulders back a bit, more like a shrug would create a more menacing feel?

Last edited by zenichi; July 19th, 2007 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about making her right hand into a snake head (a Cobra maybe?) If possible you could twist her waist to her left, right side being forward and have her 'snake arm' poised and ready to strike at the viewer? Just an idea.

The drapery is awesome and i'd also be VERY interested to see how you did it

Thanks!
    Ronnie

my gallery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

Thanks for the comments, I was worrying about doing the fabric actually as it had the potential to be problematic. It's encouraging to get positive feedback though!

It was basically done by attaching additional wires to the metal armature and then stretching tin foil between them. You then have a semi-rigid frame to attach the clay. The foil can also be wrinkled to a degree to further help the random look of the fabric.

The rest was done by good old fashioned sculpting and plenty of reference!

The fabric pressed close to the body was done by sculpting the body first in detail then adding fine lines of fabric folds on top and by cutting lines into the existing sculpture.

As for the pose - yeah I think it's a fair crit. The initial intention was to have the pose leaning forward and snarling with the arms back in a kind of 'bring it on' pose.

With the blowing fabric I think it kinda looks more like she's struggling against a gale.

It'd probably look better with the improvements suggested but I think it's gonna be very difficult to change the pose at this stage without destroying alot of the detail work already put in.

I'm gonna try and add to the dynamism by having the snakes whipping round as though she's just turned her head violently upwards, hopefully will help things.

Thanks again for all the comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a great work in progress; I can't wait to see it finished. With regards to the fabric - you shouldn't worry, it's fantastic! Fabric clinging to a body is hard to sculpt well, and you have sculpted it well.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Power View Post
    Hi
    It was basically done by attaching additional wires to the metal armature and then stretching tin foil between them. You then have a semi-rigid frame to attach the clay. The foil can also be wrinkled to a degree to further help the random look of the fabric.

It'd probably look better with the improvements suggested but I think it's gonna be very difficult to change the pose at this stage without destroying alot of the detail work already put in.

I'm gonna try and add to the dynamism by having the snakes whipping round as though she's just turned her head violently upwards, hopefully will help things.
    thanks for the tin foil tip!!

i'm sure the numerous hours and pain staking sculpting of the details wont stop you from making a few hacks and reassemble then
    (low voice chanting "hack hack hack")

yeah, the head turn upwards pose would really create the menacing look needed, as if she's lunge forward and snap her head upright and staring down at her prey!!

here's some sketches i did, since i'm a 2D guy, this is how i explore things... having written a really blur comment.
    after the sketches i found that the ankle's twisting, extending and stretching motion contributes greatly to the manifestation of the "forward" force, might need to pay careful attention when design the sculpting of the ankles...also would you consider giving her a tongue? lick lick....
    (secretly hoping that they'll make you consider taking some really drastic actions... and hack hack hack away!!!)

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by zenichi; July 20th, 2007 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    With the blowing fabric I think it kinda looks more like she's struggling against a gale.
    lol thanx for the fabric tip too! keep it goin bro!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    How about making her right hand into a snake head (a Cobra maybe?) If possible you could twist her waist to her left, right side being forward and have her 'snake arm' poised and ready to strike at the viewer? Just an idea.
    Haha cool idea, I may do that if I screw the hand up! Hands are a pain in the ass!

Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions and for the sketches Zenichi, very cool, wish I could draw!

I've tried to alter the pose slightly by cutting out a section of clay on the back so I could get some pliers onto the armature. See what you think. I've also blocked in some strands of clay to show how the snakes will finally look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the way you did her little dress flowing in the wind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oopps... silly me, its not as simple as hacking and stitching them back again... there are armature inside, sorry for embarrassing myself, hope forgivable for a guy that has no sculpting experience at all...(

the new pose is much more dynamic!! the swirling snake-hair will be crucial, will be nightmare to sculpt those snakes...

hands and legs, well more hands than legs sometime also give expression to a character other than just the face, in this instance, the ankle twist will be able to enhance the overall dynamism of the pose a lot (i think )

nice garden, u reside in the uk? was in notts for 7 long years!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say that your work is magnificent. The two pieces of yours I have seen in the hour or so I've been on this site were spectacular. As is about to become painfully obvious, I am only just beginning in sculpture, having done virtually no real visual art since grade school, but I had a question for you. This will no doubt sound inane as well as ignorant, but what do you use for the skeletons and do you have any tips on shaping or strengthening them? Also, do you have any advice for a beginner on getting the textures and the poses down? I'd appreciate any help I can get right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zenichi View Post
    oopps... silly me, its not as simple as hacking and stitching them back again... there are armature inside, sorry for embarrassing myself, hope forgivable for a guy that has no sculpting experience at all...(

nice garden, u reside in the uk? was in notts for 7 long years!
    Hey no probs, thanks for the help it's made a big difference to the sculpt! And yeah, I'm in essex just outside london.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 Kings
    what do you use for the skeletons and do you have any tips on shaping or strengthening them? Also, do you have any advice for a beginner on getting the textures and the poses down? I'd appreciate any help I can get right now.
    Thanks for the compliments, but there's loads of guys on here way better than me!

As for armatures, the best way to make them is from strong wire. Aluminiums good, although I used gardening wire for years. Here's some pics of one I made. Remember to wind wire round all the extremities, this helps the clay adhere to the armature.

As for textures and poses the best place to go is Smellybugs maquette tutorial, which is awesome: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18287

Medusa - Finally Finished. Medusa - Finally Finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the latest pics. Been working on the snakes and her left legs now turned into a snake!

Medusa - Finally Finished.Medusa - Finally Finished.

Last edited by The Dark Power; August 11th, 2007 at 07:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing work, Can't wait to See thet completed project.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like the progression of the snakes as well.

Wow keep up the great work man!

Rust never Sleeps.
    Nothing is what Rocks Dream of.

James K.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the comments.

Been working on the snakes, here's some pics. I sculpted the front ones, about twelve in total. The rest are cast in resin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The detail work on the snakes is amazing, I admire your patience. The whole thing is coming along wonderfully. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking great man! But one thing that bugs me is the teeth. They look like those cheap fake vampire fangs they sell at Halloween. I think they are too straight. It doesn't look like she would be able to close her mouth around them.

"Man's mind, once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions." ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

Cheers, yeah tried to push the teeth in a little, not sure if it's made much difference, didn;t wanna ruin the face by screwing with it too much.

Anyway, now finished:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! I love this piece! You are talented! And with a nice taste in beer!! I love hoegaarden!!

How did you made the dress? Looks like sculpey but so rigid?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you sir, are fucking amazing!
    Love the demonthingie too (commented in that thread a while ago).
    LOVE IT!!!
    No, seriously, it is great.
    Those clothes and the flow and the movement and!! AMAZING!
    Is that "infected" part some kind of medusa virus?
    The only thing i don't like is the bow, which has a too simple design, but that's the only thing.

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the only let-down is the shape of the upper lip. Though the teeth are bared the lip still has the line as it would if the mouth was closed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

Thanks for all the comments, yeah fair comment on the bow - frankly was getting tired of making the damn thing by that point, shouldn't really skimp on the details but sometimes you just gotta stop!

As for the lip - yeah maybe - only way I could get it to still look female, ya know? Still, learning experience for next time.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.