Thanks

How much RAM you guys use for PS and Painter!?

Since the price droppaged in RAM, I'm intending on buying a couple of 1gb rams. Apparently after researching around, The OS I'm using which is Window XP PRO SP2 doesn't recognize 4gb rams.

So right now I already have 1.5gb of Ram on my P4 dual core. I'm intending of getting another 1gb to make it 2.5gb.

So i just would like to know how much GB of RAM you guys used to have nice smooth usages of your favourite graphic/raster softwares, particularly for PC?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I've got 2gb of ram at the moment and Photoshop CS2 runs perfectly fine. Painter X can be a tiny bit slow on occasion but I don't use it much.

Thanks
    I only have 512MB at the mo, and Painter and PhotoShop run fine...until you try to work on a huge piece with a very high resolution or try to create a large brush preset (for example), then it starts lagging a lot.

I'm investing in 2 1GB sticks real soon so I have 2.5GB in total...That should stop the lagging effect anyway. Sounds to me that at the mo you already have more than enough RAM to run both applications smoothly, but making it 2.5 would just be an added bonus!

Cx

Thanks
    I have 512MB, working on an oldish Compaq laptop, and the fans are constantly going full tilt if I'm working in any Adobe program or Painter. It's loud Lags much on medium-to-big res work too.

I reckon anything above 1GB+ should suit fine...Working on the new Intel G5s at uni, I don't get any lag. Or maybe it's the Mac thing, I'm not sure. Either that, or their shinyness just makes everything work smoother, heh.
    Finn | my sketchbook thread | tumblr | Bēhance | gorillaartfare | whiskey, gin, and pints of beer

Thanks
    Thanks guys for replying.

Yep 1.5gb is not bad so far, even have a 320gb for a primary scratch disk. But I had tested a custom brush in Painter and just changing its sizes lags like for 10 secs. Pretty weird.

So hopefully another gig would do justice. I had wanted to get it up to 4gb until I researched that XP pro SP2 dont recognize 4gb RAM.

However maybe I dunno how to hotrod my Painter brushes.. :0.

However, Macs don't lag or do they?
    Last edited by FLenG; July 19th, 2007 at 06:40 AM. Reason: add some stuff