Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Oils..

Thanks

Oils..

I have used Acrylic paints over the years but have never done oils out of fear because, perhaps, of allergic reactions that could possibly triggered by turpentine smell. Plus, in the last few years I've have diagnosis of asthma that occurs during the cold winter season and I do remember having a old used car that had a smelly gas leak and may have had some trouble breathing.

I'm tempted to experiment with oils, despite the fact, I use Corel Painter and am fascinated by this medium. I've used other dry and wet media as well.

My question to you is if any of you have heard any cases of oil paint/chemicals triggering asthma/allergic attacks and are there alternatives to this or ways to get around that?

The cost of oil paint also makes me wary of the budgeting and oil can be a bit intimidating to me as I'm so used to drawing by hand for 30 some odd years now.

Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    A low odor solvent with a high PEL like Gamsol or Turpenoid shouldn't cause any problems. If even that's too much, there are solvent-free ways of using oils. A search here will give a wealth of info.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Some 15 years ago I attempted oils and had severe allergic reactions to my hands. I've reattempted it again lately, using Rembrandt brand and haven't had any problems. I have no clue what had caused the problem in the past, just suspected it was the oil itself, but have no problems at all these days. Turpnoid and Mineral spirits weren't the source of the problem either. I had been using water-mixable oils because of this, but Elwell slapped my hand and told me "no" ... so I gave it another attempt. High quality oils is the better advice. Thanks Elwell (yet again).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Yo Pilgrim! There's a link in my sig to info on oil paints for you.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanks guys for the info! Although I'm more of a dry media/graphic/ink type of artist, oils was something I found fascination with.

To the poster about the oil reaction on the hands....I had some bad itching on both hands a few months ago and I remember using bathroom cleaners (spray form) and forgot to wear a glove..and that's how it happened..itched so bad that I could not write/draw for a while. I vowed never to touch that stuff again.
    Then again, it might be the age thing.....:/. Otherwise, the Rembrandt brand or something a bit more safe with low solvent such as Gamsol is not a bad idea.

EDIT: I use chinese balls to exercise both hands and keep them from 'locking' up or tired. For me, it works well and allows me to think and improve articulation. And from that exercise, that should help me paint on longer durations without tiring. I tend to use my iPod to listen with my SkullCandy headphone and sometimes I can't hear a darn thing wearing them such as a doorbell, etc. The only advantage is that I'm deaf and can turn off the hearing aid anytime I want but I'd rather not, in order to concentrate .

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    Yo Pilgrim! There's a link in my sig to info on oil paints for you.
    umm...for some reason..the links are not working? The pages are'nt coming up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim1099 View Post
    umm...for some reason..the links are not working? The pages are'nt coming up.
    Try again when the server isn't being hit so hard.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Try again when the server isn't being hit so hard.
    okay...it's working now...

Very interesting threads so far...thanks.

Thanks
    You're welcome.

Thanks
    You're welcome.
    I sent you a PM but was'nt sure if it works. I noticed that Mr. Schmid, an author of one book you suggested...lives in VT...oddly it's where I'm at now. I could've sworn I've seen him in person crossing paths...now that he looks familiar. lol.

-A

Thanks
    If you have seen him, befriend that man! He is an epically good painter and teacher!! You (potentially) lucky git.

Thanks
    Oils are just pigment and oil thats all..what is dangerous is when you use the poisonous pigments..especially if you are having turpentine and touching paint which your skin will absorve. Look for colors that are labeled AP (all of my colors are) and avoid Lead pigments..used turpenoid (good substitute for turpentine) Is not as dangerous as you think if you are careful and have a well ventilated place... the old masters had it tough they did not know the danger of white lead and others poisonous pigments..so you are pretty safe...
    Oil is the best medium !!!!!, i you have not used it you have not paint it yet
    my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by k4pka View Post
    If you have seen him, befriend that man! He is an epically good painter and teacher!! You (potentially) lucky git.
    I think he's still among the living. He probably lives about an hour away from the city where I frequent to art shows. I don't know him personally but *may* have seen him in person a few times in those galleries.

I'm still trying to get a copy of Alla Prima (his book) but Borders and Barnes and Noble don't carry them anymore...I don't know if his book is geared towards oils or acrylics.

I have a connection or two that might know him professionally (or personally)...I'm going to ask around and find out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast