Thanks

All Hail The Great Plains Walker

Here's a newer piece. The story behind it is there is a society that worships this gigantic automaton. They have built a shrine to it atop a cliff and gather to pay homage as it walks by. Only its head is visible. There's a detail of the people, as tiny as ants to show the size of this thing I am picturing.

Thanks for looking!

Thanks for comments!
    Last edited by Skinless; July 18th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    its an intriguing image - only thing is if you didnt have that detail and tell us there were people there - it would be almost impossible to make them out. Maybe having them a tiny bit bigger with more signs of human activity such as a more ceremony - flags, horses, vehicles, commotion, etc..etc..
    Another option would be to do this from a more extreme angle to accentuate scale.
    Also - The large flags you have there could have more variety in size and placement

Thanks
    Thanks Rascar. Good comments. Was thinking the crowd needed something to help it, as it is so small. Added some stuff

Thanks
    I think the big flags on the central figure have use expect larger humans. therefor picking the dots out as people is hard.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    This is one of those times when I don't know if I'm looking at the work of a monster talent or a child!

Well, I checked out your site and you ain't no toddler!

All I can say about this particular illo is that the drama of the moment it depicts is so subtle, it is practically invisible. But it is there. Just requires low frequency lobster radar to pick it up.

This is your own thing and I like your work so no crits here, just a fist in the air! Rock on!

kev

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101106

Thanks
    HAHA Thanks Kev

But Ambidextros, just think how big those flags on the automaton would be! A flag the size of a town!

It was a tough piece. Trying to show the scale of this thing was hard, because I wanted it to be so immense that only a portion could be visible when it walked by. Making the people larger would make their monuments, and the Walker smaller. But, they are so hard to see you really don't notice them, if at all...aarrrr

Thanks
    Thanked 5,192 Times in 1,728 Posts
    I think a different way to do this would be to picture it from a worms eye view from beneath one of the parade marchers. A real low camera shot looking up.

We see past the elbows and shoulder and heads and banners of some marchers, following their guide wires up and up past more banners and maybe a kite and a glider or two to the zeppelins hovering overhead, and then past that some birds in the sky, getting smaller and smaller as we push back into the picture, deeper and deeper, everything getting smaller and smaller in size until all there is is just empty air... and only then do we get to the huge mountainous thing in the far far background that looms over everything with its monster sizes flags flapping in the breeze -- Its shadows would have to be very blue in order for the giant object to appear both huge in the picture and way way off in the distance.

It can be done.

kev

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106