Is the first ammendment safer in comics?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Is the first ammendment safer in comics?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Is the first ammendment safer in comics?

A while back a movie called "Death of a president" was going to come out. It never made it to the US because there was a scene that depicted the assasination of good ol' G.W. Bush.
    Enter Black Summer, this is a comic book that is going to depict a supermanish superhero killing a fictional president and his vice president for waging an illegal war. The fictional president is clearly Bush, but as far as I know no one has raised a stink about it, not even Bill O'reilly.
    You can check out the first pages of Black Summer here.

I find it strange that the first amendment is safer in comics than it is in Movies.
    While I don't really agree with the politics of this, it is comforting in a way.

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So, do you know why the movie didn’t “make it” to the US? I’m sure it wasn’t because it was forbidden by anyone in the government, because that would be illegal. Perhaps the makers of the movie chose not to release it because they expected, and didn’t want to face the negative feedback? Boondock Saints wasn’t released in theaters because the Columbine shooting happened shortly before their planned release. They decided it wouldn’t be in their best interest to go to theaters at that time.

Comics can generally get away with releasing at more sensitive moments because they aren’t viewed by audiences of the same magnitude. Basically, nobody cares if a squirrel poops on the lawn. It takes a bigger poop to make a stink.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can order that movie on my TV rightnow. It's just a "meh" documentary. I dunno, it just wasnt very creative or controversial...

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Besides what Seedling said about comics (and books) not receiving as many viewers as those wacky moving pictures get, there's great confusion as to what the 1st amendment actually doesn't protect. Yes, people crying out that their rights have been violated usually don't read the 4 things the 1st amendment doesn't protect in the least. The amendment has NEVER protected these things and it will take another amendment to do so: Hate Speech (Slander), Fight Words (inciting violence/rioting), Public Obscenity, and Obstruction of Justice. These 4 things can't be debated, however their definitions can. And this is where the entertainment industry usually steps in to say, "satire." The term Satire is what protects movies, books, comedians, etc., from lawsuits. It's tricky though, because people's right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness overrides the 1st amendment, allowing for anyone who is offended to claim that they aren't receiving their "right to the pursuit of happiness."

Anyhow, there's more at your local poli-sci 101 class, but books/comics sneak in everything they ever wanted to and file it under entertainment. Movies, due to their visual impact and the general stupidity of the common viewer not being able to distinguish fiction from reality once it's been filmed, can't get away with too much.

Trés Cuté Sketch Group
    magicgoo bluemech cwn annwn light dished

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    DoaP wasn't controversial because of its plot, but because it was a faux documentary, using real news footage, about the assassination of the sitting US president. Never the less, it did get released theatrically in the US, and is readily available on video. It wasn't particularly successful, perhaps because of the political climate at the time it was released (this past year has made a BIG difference), but primarily because it wasn't considered very well done.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

tomwaits4noman is offline well, that's a pipe of a different color Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    A while back a movie called "Death of a president" was going to come out. It never made it to the US because there was a scene that depicted the assasination of good ol' G.W. Bush.
    Enter Black Summer, this is a comic book that is going to depict a supermanish superhero killing a fictional president and his vice president for waging an illegal war. The fictional president is clearly Bush, but as far as I know no one has raised a stink about it, not even Bill O'reilly.
    You can check out the first pages of Black Summer here.

I find it strange that the first amendment is safer in comics than it is in Movies.
    While I don't really agree with the politics of this, it is comforting in a way.
    I think in some quarters comics are still viewed as kiddy material and underground material where as films are mainstream artform. Also it is alot easier to finance a comic book and graphic novel with political content than a film so with less finanical risk you can be more subvertive and artistic freedom

I have not read either comic but look at Frank Miller Dark knight - Regan is quite clearly the President though more a parody than realistic.

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.