Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Thanks

NSFW--Viking's Loot **4-5-15 UPDATE**

LATEST WORK ON THE LAST PAGE!!!

Hello all,
    After snooping around here for a while, I decided to join and post my own works in order to get some much needed advice. As you'll see further down on my posts, I'm just taking the first tenative steps into the world of color...

Some background info: I usually stick to pen and pencil, though I haven't done much pen work in a while. I went through a phase in high school where that's all I used for a year or so. I've tried three serious attempts at color and only 2 look decent in my opinion. More on that later.

I've always been drawing (from crayons on the wall as a toddler to line art in my latin books in middle school and high school to my sketchbooks) but many of the people on CA can DRAW. That's where I want to be with my skills.

Bah, enough about me, here's the loot...I'll get this thing started with a picture of Dina Meyer from Starship Troopers done back in 1999 but still one of my favorites.

Fire away with all the C&C you can offer! I'm hoping to improve so don't hold back (too much).

VR
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Viking Raider; April 7th, 2015 at 09:10 AM. Reason: update

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

more stuff

here's an ink drawing I did of the gates of St. Augustine Florida, and a drawing of George Washington (11x14). Most of the drawings I do are in Strathmore hardbound books or sometimes spiral bound but occasionally I break out the big books.

I couldn't call this sketchbook Viking's loot without some Vikings, so here's a sketch I did a few days ago as well.

Thanks

grappling with the figure

The first one is a character study of the main character in one of the books I'm writing. The second picture is just my id playing with the Lady of the Lake. I did the whole thing just to practice drawing hair and ended up getting distracted. My drawings are all unretouched except to change the contrast a bit so it's easier to see on the computer (don't have the greatest scanner in the world)....

VR

Thanks

my favorite flowers

This here isn't what I would call a study in color, but I thought it might look cool to have the flowers be bright compared to her body. I drew this from a reference photo a few years ago. Oddly enough it's one of my wife's favorites. And no, it's not my wife. The next one is one of my favorites from last year, it always makes me think of Enya, though I was listening to Metallica when I drew it.

Thanks
    These pictures are from a genealogy project I worked on last winter for my dad. I drew pictures of Alfred the Great, Charlemagne (and two of his wives, Hildegarde and Himiltrude), Constantine the Great and William the Conqueror. In this series of drawings I drew in pencil first, then inked over and scanned into the computer where I used photoshop elements to reduce the size and add shading and background effects. These were my first attempts at really tinkering with my artwork on a computer (other than fixing contrast and brightness, etc.).
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    One more for today, my office faces the west and it gets damn hot in the afternoon here in Texas. I drew this a few hours ago after getting inspired by Cakeypigdog's sketches. Gotta give credit where credit is due--- I love his thumbnail heads and tried to figure out how he does it...
    Last edited by Viking Raider; July 18th, 2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: fixed link
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Okay, I've got some more time before work so I'll post some of the figure drawings I attempted last year and get into some of my newer stuff. First some eyes, probably the best I've done---the scan quality isn't so hot but the one on paper has a 3D effect I like. Then I've got various girls, all drawn from reference. The one where she's kind of on her side is my first attempt at drawing the reclining figure. I should have paid more attention to her face but I was distracted a little...heh. Unfortunately, faces still need work, as the one that's last kind of looks like Michael Jackson...ugh.
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    So I took about 6 months off due to work and other distractions and took my time reading and studying other people's work and just absorbing everything I saw. Finally, I sat down last month and started drawing again and this is the result. Found the picture on the internet and drrew it and added the background. Only thing I modified in photoshop was some extraneous smudges that somehow got on her face and shoulders while scanning.
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Wow I think they are all really excellent. IMO your anatomy is very good. Characters have alot of life to them. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Savagetoast: thanks for the comments! IMO I still struggle a bit with facial proportions, but that's what practice is for, right?

Here's a few more...not a lot of time to upload today but tomorrow hopefully I'll have some more. First is some face practice without reference, then a sketch fo my wife sitting on the couch working on her laptop computer. Next, in my bigger sketchbook, I used a ref photo and drew the girl laying on the couch. I added the gladius.

Cheers
    VR
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,193 Times in 1,969 Posts
    Wow impressive!!! I really like all of your artworks and espesially the vikings and the other antiquiet works

You know my interesting in this kind of artworks

see ya
    and keep up the good work

Thanks
    Thanks King, for your comments! And since you asked for more, here's a few extras....

First is one I drew from one of my wife's fashion catalogues. Then there's a couple drawings of some pics I got off the internet (who needs reference BOOKS? heh) and then a face I drew from my imagination to practice drawing hair. I put in way too many lines and not enough spaces for highlights so it looks way flat.
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Howdy, Viking Raider Always cool to run into a fellow Texas artist!

Your drawz are lookin' very nice... some lovely wimminz here

Things to think about -- perspective (in the pic with the captive girl, if the viking's s'posed to be lifting off her robe, he's way too far away for that... i could be misreading the pic, though ), anatomy(good now, but could be better; also, draw some menz, minus robes, swords, etc.) and life-drawing (good start, let's see some more!)

Keep up the great werk! 8)
    Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    AmontilladoAg: Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted him lifting off her cloak or just pionting at her. But after I added the rope I kinda had to have him pointing at her. It just got confused and there you go.

As far as the male figure, I've drawn the male for years (not all that great) but recently started on female. You're right though, the sketchbook is decidedly biased heh heh. I'll be changing that soon.

Time to practice....
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    You have got some really nice worK. I think the first picture on this thread is the most powerful. I agree with Amontilladog, also try not to smudge your pencil work because through smudging your generally loose alot of the structure within the values.

Great Work!
    C&C welcome
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=84532&page=10

'Iam what Iam' - Popeye The Sailor Man

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast