Following

NSFW--Viking's Loot **3-3-13 UPDATE**

Name:  bookcover.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  399.3 KBName:  Leonidas 300 sm.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  52.2 KBName:  dizzy.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  51.0 KBLATEST WORK ON THE LAST PAGE!!!

Hello all,
    After snooping around here for a while, I decided to join and post my own works in order to get some much needed advice. As you'll see further down on my posts, I'm just taking the first tenative steps into the world of color...

Some background info: I usually stick to pen and pencil, though I haven't done much pen work in a while. I went through a phase in high school where that's all I used for a year or so. I've tried three serious attempts at color and only 2 look decent in my opinion. More on that later.

I've always been drawing (from crayons on the wall as a toddler to line art in my latin books in middle school and high school to my sketchbooks) but many of the people on CA can DRAW. That's where I want to be with my skills.

Bah, enough about me, here's the loot...I'll get this thing started with a picture of Dina Meyer from Starship Troopers done back in 1999 but still one of my favorites.

Fire away with all the C&C you can offer! I'm hoping to improve so don't hold back (too much).

VR

Last edited by Viking Raider; March 3rd, 2013 at 01:46 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more stuff

here's an ink drawing I did of the gates of St. Augustine Florida, and a drawing of George Washington (11x14). Most of the drawings I do are in Strathmore hardbound books or sometimes spiral bound but occasionally I break out the big books.

I couldn't call this sketchbook Viking's loot without some Vikings, so here's a sketch I did a few days ago as well.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

grappling with the figure

The first one is a character study of the main character in one of the books I'm writing. The second picture is just my id playing with the Lady of the Lake. I did the whole thing just to practice drawing hair and ended up getting distracted. My drawings are all unretouched except to change the contrast a bit so it's easier to see on the computer (don't have the greatest scanner in the world)....

VR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

my favorite flowers

This here isn't what I would call a study in color, but I thought it might look cool to have the flowers be bright compared to her body. I drew this from a reference photo a few years ago. Oddly enough it's one of my wife's favorites. And no, it's not my wife. The next one is one of my favorites from last year, it always makes me think of Enya, though I was listening to Metallica when I drew it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These pictures are from a genealogy project I worked on last winter for my dad. I drew pictures of Alfred the Great, Charlemagne (and two of his wives, Hildegarde and Himiltrude), Constantine the Great and William the Conqueror. In this series of drawings I drew in pencil first, then inked over and scanned into the computer where I used photoshop elements to reduce the size and add shading and background effects. These were my first attempts at really tinkering with my artwork on a computer (other than fixing contrast and brightness, etc.).

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One more for today, my office faces the west and it gets damn hot in the afternoon here in Texas. I drew this a few hours ago after getting inspired by Cakeypigdog's sketches. Gotta give credit where credit is due--- I love his thumbnail heads and tried to figure out how he does it...

Last edited by Viking Raider; July 18th, 2007 at 03:24 PM. Reason: fixed link
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I've got some more time before work so I'll post some of the figure drawings I attempted last year and get into some of my newer stuff. First some eyes, probably the best I've done---the scan quality isn't so hot but the one on paper has a 3D effect I like. Then I've got various girls, all drawn from reference. The one where she's kind of on her side is my first attempt at drawing the reclining figure. I should have paid more attention to her face but I was distracted a little...heh. Unfortunately, faces still need work, as the one that's last kind of looks like Michael Jackson...ugh.

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I took about 6 months off due to work and other distractions and took my time reading and studying other people's work and just absorbing everything I saw. Finally, I sat down last month and started drawing again and this is the result. Found the picture on the internet and drrew it and added the background. Only thing I modified in photoshop was some extraneous smudges that somehow got on her face and shoulders while scanning.

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I think they are all really excellent. IMO your anatomy is very good. Characters have alot of life to them. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Savagetoast: thanks for the comments! IMO I still struggle a bit with facial proportions, but that's what practice is for, right?

Here's a few more...not a lot of time to upload today but tomorrow hopefully I'll have some more. First is some face practice without reference, then a sketch fo my wife sitting on the couch working on her laptop computer. Next, in my bigger sketchbook, I used a ref photo and drew the girl laying on the couch. I added the gladius.

Cheers
    VR

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow impressive!!! I really like all of your artworks and espesially the vikings and the other antiquiet works

You know my interesting in this kind of artworks

see ya
    and keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks King, for your comments! And since you asked for more, here's a few extras....

First is one I drew from one of my wife's fashion catalogues. Then there's a couple drawings of some pics I got off the internet (who needs reference BOOKS? heh) and then a face I drew from my imagination to practice drawing hair. I put in way too many lines and not enough spaces for highlights so it looks way flat.

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Howdy, Viking Raider Always cool to run into a fellow Texas artist!

Your drawz are lookin' very nice... some lovely wimminz here

Things to think about -- perspective (in the pic with the captive girl, if the viking's s'posed to be lifting off her robe, he's way too far away for that... i could be misreading the pic, though ), anatomy(good now, but could be better; also, draw some menz, minus robes, swords, etc.) and life-drawing (good start, let's see some more!)

Keep up the great werk! 8)

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AmontilladoAg: Thanks for the ideas. Yeah, I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted him lifting off her cloak or just pionting at her. But after I added the rope I kinda had to have him pointing at her. It just got confused and there you go.

As far as the male figure, I've drawn the male for years (not all that great) but recently started on female. You're right though, the sketchbook is decidedly biased heh heh. I'll be changing that soon.

Time to practice....

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have got some really nice worK. I think the first picture on this thread is the most powerful. I agree with Amontilladog, also try not to smudge your pencil work because through smudging your generally loose alot of the structure within the values.

Great Work!

C&C welcome
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=84532&page=10

'Iam what Iam' - Popeye The Sailor Man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for posting everyone!

AK86: I get kind of messy every now and then. Smudging is something I'm constant struggling with but I can see your point. My next pieces I will make sure are clean for experimentation.

oomgawa: Thanks for the kind words. Don't worry, guys are just around the corner. I'm still scanning my stuff but lately I've been on a girls trip.

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right, here's a bit of an image dump. Threw in some guys and heads while I continue scanning stuff into the pc. I'll add some more in a bit!
    First up is a character from one of my books I'm writing, I had in mind somebody that had the "on screen" effect of Leonidas from 300 and with that in mind drew someone that looked sort of like him too. I didn't realize it until I stepped back and took a look after my wife said, "hey, that's that guy from 300." So I added more armor and and a helmet and came up with the second guy that looks more like a knight (which was what I was going for as well). On both I messed up the perspective on the left arms (odd since I"m left handed). Not too pleased with either.

Next up I drew some quick sketches of heads as everyone here seems to have pages and pages of just heads or eyes...that's my next project to practice heads is fill a page of heads. That sounds grisly. Anyway, then I have a Roman soldier that I was just roughing out and went nowhere with... more soon!

VR

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice new works

About the second picture of your last post. I like his helmet as you drew it in the profile view, but something don't make me think the same when seeing how you construct it in the other view.
    (just this thing)

i like all the others

keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Viking Raider!
    I like these 2 drawings the best: the one that reminds you of Enya, and the one on the left from it-flowers in front of a nude model...very nice, there's something subtle about the shading and the treatment of the whole thing...I agree with others, though, it's a good idea to draw "menz" with less clothes on, just for the purpose of studying anatomy...I usually pick up a sports magazine or something like that, and use it as refference...although it's possible to find refference on the net, too...
    Keep posting!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for commenting on my sketchbook!

It looks to me like you have a natural sense for anatomy and faces, 'specially with the ladies. I really liked some of the girls in post #7, and for some reason the guy with the axe in the end of your second post really caught my eye as well. I'd really like to see you take one or more of these characters that you've imagined and use them again, so them from different angles or in different scenes, just for fun and practice. Just a thought ;D

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah aint cikings cool?! Raise your ginat axe my nordic coldblodded friend and sing your hymns of death as we oh I dont know. Nice drawings though. Perhaps some more studies would suit fine, anatomical ones. Proportional ones maybe. Try take your time on the shading on some of them, I'm sure it'd be nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice stuff! I like in particular the pages in reply #18 and the girls in the previous post. I see great potential in this SB than draw draw and draw I will back to see more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Allright! Props first. You have a good understanding of line, value and juxtaposition. Your poses are unique and appear as though they resemble your reference material quite well

Now as for the things that I think you should work out. First off the smudging. If you enjoy to smudge just go buy one of those Pencil smudgers at any art
    store. They work like a charm and you have more controll over where you smudge and how.

The second thing I believe you should try is to draw from life. Reference is good and I commend you for doing it but...well I don't know how to explain it but when you see it in real life it is better and helps you understand the object in 3 Dimensions more easily.

As for colour...well with colour the only thing I can offer you based on my own experience is that give some colour theory a try. Things like the different types of arrangements (such as monochromatic, complementary...etc., I forget a lot of them)...Basically study up what has been psychologycally found to stand out to humans. It really helps if you know different compositions and thankfully the basics help immensely..so there's not much to learn but a lot to master.

And finally..if you ever get a minute to quickly draw figures there is a website that you may enjoy

www.posemaniacs.com/blog

I hope you find this information useful somewhat

PS: My favorite is post #4. If the lighting was better I'm sure the flowers would be radiant

Till a later date

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about the lag in updates and replies...things are kind of hectic at work. I'll be going on vacation so I got to get a lot done first, etc. Hopefully though I'll get a lot of opportunities for real life drawing on vacation so I should have a nice big art dump when I get back a couple weeks!

Thank you very much to everyone who's viewed my work and even more so to those who've taken the time to comment or critique! I really appreciate it!

Kingkostas: I agree, when I drew that guy in the armor I kind of flubbed the helmet and then did the little side profile to make sure I was getting it the way I wanted it but never went back to the big view...maybe another sketch though

Boky: Thanks for the comments on my two favorite pieces. Don't worry, ask and ye shall recieve...upcoming, MENZ

Dierat: Your idea to draw the same subject (ie the viking with the axe) from a different angle is something I never really thought of before. Taking the same character and switching it around. Usually I just do one shot and move on to something else. I think I'll give it go! Thanks for the suggestion.

Sarcophagus: Yeah, proportions is something I'm still working on. Stay tuned for some more attempts

Dreamworker: Thanks---saying you'll come back is the greatest compliment I've gotten!

Ped454: I'm curious---As far as shading goes, I've had a few people now make comments on smudging and I'm trying to figure out exactly what they mean...I am quite messy but the ones I smudge are intentional (ie the "enya" cloak) ? I have a tortillion or 6 and use them only infrequently, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks very much for your crits, they really got me thinking!

Now...let's have some more art...this first one I did during my lunch break, wondering how Oreo could come up with a claim that oreo's are milks favorite cookies (it says so right there on the package...)?

Then some random heads and people I've drawn from imagination...

Last edited by Viking Raider; August 23rd, 2007 at 10:05 AM. Reason: removed duplicate picture
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Almost forgot---in honor of 300 being released on DVD today (yeah, I got mine bright and early this morning!) I drew this

Last edited by Viking Raider; July 31st, 2007 at 09:43 PM.
    LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a much needed update. Finally back from vacation to Illinois and over the nasty bug I that had me sidelined from doing much of anything for a while.

I'll start with my third serious attempt at color in...oh, 12 years or so. First is the line drawing I inked, then colored using colored pencils.

Next is a picture from one of my wife's clothing catalogues that I modified to be some sort of dragon queen.

Then a quick sketch of Leonidas from 300...and a random shot of two pages in a small sketchbook I keep in my car for lunch break drawing.

then there's some pen and ink drawings: first 2 women, then some random men and a pencil anatomy sketch of an arm thrown in for good measure.

And the last drawing in my series of line drawing women drawn from clothing magazine ref photos, one I changed into a celtic warrior princess

Now it's off to go scan some more drawings into the pc...

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nobody's replying, that's cool. Here's another art dump.

First there's some random warm up stuff with maybe a Conan and a brassed off Leonidas. then some practice with hands. I got a real small little sketchbook and started using it during free moments at work (and drew some of the old men waiting for a train to move on my way home). The lips were just a copule of practice sketches on the same page as the female profile, but I had to split them up because of the way they were layed out.

A few days ago I drew what I picture to be the real Leonidas with something similar to the real ancient Spartan armor, followed by a captured Gaul being talked to by a Roman centurion.

Cheers

LIVE FREE. DRAW HARD.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Viking. I found your sketch book through another book that you had commented on.

Your pencil drawings are sharp, no doubt about it. I really like your faces and the figures you have posted here.

In the beginning of your book you said you were taking some steps towards the world of color. You've certainly done well in the world of value and shading so i'd like to see some more experiments with color. You're a great line artist and your art would look great with some color on it, even if its just a little.

Kudos to you for posting on here and sticking with it. Good work. I haven't yet built up the guts to post here myself. Still lurking...

"A perfect machine can be made from imperfect parts."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, very cool book. I think your proportions of faces are off sometimes, so try to focus a bit on that. Ands thats about it, keep updating

"Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1